Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #20,131 of 22,942
how would it run big heapdhones like hd800S

Headphones with impedance of 300 ohms like the HD800s, personal digital players can swing enough volts to drive the HD800S, but to get the best of it, you will need more power like the new Astell&Kerne Kann Cube ( see attachment), i already try it at the Munich hires audio expo last month with my SE846 and i tell you i am saving my money to buy it at the end of the year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 12.12.22.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 12.12.22.png
    827.7 KB · Views: 0
Jun 4, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #20,132 of 22,942
While many personal digital players can swing enough volts to drive the HD800S, but to get best of it you will need the new Astell&Kern Kann Cube ( see attachment )
already did try it at the Munich Highend audio expo last month with my SE846 and i tell you already saving my money to buy it at the end of the year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 12.12.22.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 12.12.22.png
    827.7 KB · Views: 0
Jun 7, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #20,135 of 22,942
The V2 Shure Bluetooth dongle is better, a lot better. When used with Apx-HD I would struggle to hear a difference between the Bluetooth connection and plugging the 846 directly into my V30.

BTW I don't understand why anybody would use Bluetooth with a DAP like the Fiio M11, it would sound no different to a Smartphone assuming the same CODEC is used.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #20,142 of 22,942
FiiO just came out with a new pure silver cable in 2.5, 3.5, and 4.4
Fiio LC-2.5d / LC-3.5d / LC-4.4d mmcx earphone cable

Fiio pure silver cables with mmcx connectors and either a 2.5mm, 3.5mm or 4.4mm plug. The Fiio LC-2.5d series cables are for over the ear earphones, with mmcx connectors. The cable is a Litz braided cable made with pure silver and a medical grade PVC, coated to improve its durability. Plug is right angle.

Expect very good clarity and separation with this all silver cable.

Choose from:

3.5mm, 2.5mm balanced or 4.4mm balanced. I've seen them at headphonebar.com and they're about 1/2 the price of ALO cables

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #20,144 of 22,942
I have a silver lidz from Headphone lounge for some years, now. And the improvement was quite noticeable.
I also own two of Ted's cables and would definitely give them the thumbs up. It's hard to beat that 24 awg silver lizt :) BTW, what's with the change of username? SalvorHardin?!? Let me guess.. You had a few letters left over after a game of scrabble and wanted to see what you could come up with? :ksc75smile:

I wanted to throw another small recommendation out there. I've been having a few pms with @Christoph about DAPs suitable for the SE846 and I thought the outcome of those discussions worth sharing. The SE846 needs a really good DAP because in addition to all the usual wants (low THD, IMD, etc.) it needs a high SNR (otherwise it'll hiss) and a very low z-out (or you'll skew its frequency response) and it's surprisingly difficult to find something that ticks all those boxes.

@Christoph had asked about the DX200 and I'd previously warned people off it (including posts on this thread) because the DX200 has a notable sub-bass roll-off which leaves it sounding pretty anaemic next to my QP1R. Now the QP1R is, and always will be, a wonderful-sounding DAP, but it's not without its flaws. (It doesn't have a very high SNR and it has some odd intonation/pitching issues.) Anyway, I got a chance to test out the new DX220 recently. The bottom line - it's awesome. It ticks all the boxes and then some. More thoughts here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...mp9-almost-here.898388/page-318#post-15005240

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #20,145 of 22,942
I want to say a big thank you to @csglinux who helped me a lot chosing a matching DAP for the ShureSE846.

As @csglinux mentioned its difficut to find a DAP which meets all the requirments of a high quality source that are capable of driving the SE846 without more or less drawbacks.
In the SPL diagrams of the DX200 you can clearly see the sub-bass roll off which @csglinux mentioned and as the SE846 have a dedicated sub bass driver that is capable of providing such low frequencies you don't want to have a DAP which is not able to provide this low frequencies and is limited here.

It is true that only from measurements, you can't say that an DAP (or amp) sounds really good.
The other way around however is true, that you can identify disadvantages with the measurements.

Long story short, a good matching DAP (+amp) is always essential and should be well considered, especially for difficult to drive properly IEMs like the SE846.
And measurements and helpful user descriptions here definitiv helps a lot (at least for me),
even when the last decision should be made in person with a physial listening experience.
Thanks for your support! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back