Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #19,654 of 22,942
I’d like to try Comply sleeves with my SE846. So far I’ve been using the medium-size original ‘olives’. Which ones are recommended, in your opinion:

- Isolation;
- Comfort; or
- Professional?

I believe Professional lack the WaxGuard, which would make them unsuitable for the SE846 because these IEMs don’t have a guard other than that in the sleeves.

Are there any other brands that you would recommend?

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #19,655 of 22,942
I’d like to try Comply sleeves with my SE846. So far I’ve been using the medium-size original ‘olives’. Which ones are recommended, in your opinion:

- Isolation;
- Comfort; or
- Professional?

I believe Professional lack the WaxGuard, which would make them unsuitable for the SE846 because these IEMs don’t have a guard other than that in the sleeves.

I've tried all of them for me the Comfort TS-100 are the best for longer listening, they are just more comfortable. :)

The Ts-100 for example doesn't have the wax guard, its the x in the part number that indicates a wax guard is fitted, so the Tsx-100 has the wax guard.

I have been using the Shure olive foam tips myself and I find there is not a lot of difference in fit and sound between the two

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #19,656 of 22,942
I did. But too much treble and not enough bass. I've been using the blues with the foam removed for years. You get the treble but still have the low bass. Best option for me.
dsP
The white filter doesn't have foam in it. That's as trebly as you're gonna get.
So after I posted I looked and saw that there are no foam inserts. I should have looked before I posted! BUT, I did try the SE846 WITHOUT any filter and, while it does a lot for the treble extension, it is way too harsh for long listening sessions.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #19,657 of 22,942
Was actually thinking of ordering Jabra 65 or Jabra Sport and seeing what solution was best before the prompt arrival of BT2 yesterday. Be interested in your comparisons of 65t and 846 / BT2. I’m not interested in heart rate or other included health Apps (enough on watch!) so how do they compare in use and sound?
Here's a short comparison based on my impression so far. Keep in mind I have the active 65t which should be the same driver as 65t, just higher waterproof rating of ipx56.
Sound quality :
846/BT2 naturally wins without a doubt. BT2 also gives higher overall volume vs 65t. BT2 amp, IMO, is pretty neutral with a hint of warmth.
At $180, 65t gives more than good enough SQ. Let's just say I don't go "Bahhhhh..." at all. It's a tad heavy on the low end, but not overwhelmingly so that the mids and highs are ruined. Vocal on 65t is front and center with enough sparkling to hear the "air".
Clarity and overall separation are ok only as expected.

Convenience and suitability for exercise :
65t wins cuz they are completely wireless. Just 2 earbuds.
65t also has better water/sweat proof rating of ipx55/56. I don't think 846 has any. If you plan to wear 846/BT2 to exercise and you do sweat a lot, 846 might not be suitable in the long run.
65t battery is not as long, 5hrs vs. 8 hrs, but the case can keep it going couple more rounds. BT2, after 8 hrs, you got to micro USB plug it in.

Design:
65t wins. It's a clean, well designed stand alone product. BT2 is still an "adapter" to cut the cord but it does open up the option of having your great Shure IEMs running wireless.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #19,658 of 22,942

- Isolation;
- Comfort; or
- Professional?

I use professional and have never been tempted to chase another tip since. They are end game.

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #19,659 of 22,942
Thanks, Steve. Would it be then fair to say that, since the Comply Comfort and the Shure olives are similar, it would be better to stick with the Shure olives?

Could you please share from your experience how did the other Comply sleeves (viz. Isolation and Professional) feel in comparison with the Comfort? Which one would provide the best sound? I would be reluctant to use Professional, though, since they don’t come with a WaxGuard.

I've tried all of them for me the Comfort TS-100 are the best for longer listening, they are just more comfortable. :)

The Ts-100 for example doesn't have the wax guard, its the x in the part number that indicates a wax guard is fitted, so the Tsx-100 has the wax guard.

I have been using the Shure olive foam tips myself and I find there is not a lot of difference in fit and sound between the two

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #19,661 of 22,942
But they don’t come with WaxGuard, do they? How would you mitigate this?
Occasionally I’d see a tiny flake but I just tap the ear piece and it falls away. If got worse you coukd use a needle or something to just disturb it so it falls off.
They expand so much I think it might help and do little bits of ear exfoliation, I used to have a wax issue but not since using these (could be coincidence as I got th cleaned out about the same time).

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #19,662 of 22,942
But they don’t come with WaxGuard, do they? How would you mitigate this?

Don't worry too much about the wax guard. If the nozzle should become blocked then it can be unscrewed for cleaning anyway, its very unlikely that anything will make it far enough inside to cause damage.

I would say if you are happy with the Shure foam tips stick with them unless you want to experiment. The Shure tips are cheaper too, at least where I am. The quality of the Comply tips has dropped a bit too, perhaps they are needing to make them a bit cheaper too compete on price.

For me there is very little sound difference between any of these tips, bit as with all tips this is sound dependent, I don't find any real sonic difference either between foam and silicone as some people do, perhaps I'm lucky.

Fit is important, for any tip always get the smallest size that gives a good seal, I did try the small comfort tips and the fit at first felt and sounded balanced, but after some comparison I realised I was loosing some Bass and lower mids.

The Comply professional offer the best isolation but I can't use them for longer than an hour before they become uncomfortable, I find they insert a bit too deep depending on the IEM I'm using at the time.

If you want to experiment, don't forget to try the Westone tips too they fit the Shure and are quite good.

Here is my collection. :ksc75smile:

20181104_072122.jpg

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #19,663 of 22,942
Don't worry too much about the wax guard. If the nozzle should become blocked then it can be unscrewed for cleaning anyway, its very unlikely that anything will make it far enough inside to cause damage.

I would say if you are happy with the Shure foam tips stick with them unless you want to experiment. The Shure tips are cheaper too, at least where I am. The quality of the Comply tips has dropped a bit too, perhaps they are needing to make them a bit cheaper too compete on price.

For me there is very little sound difference between any of these tips, bit as with all tips this is sound dependent, I don't find any real sonic difference either between foam and silicone as some people do, perhaps I'm lucky.

Fit is important, for any tip always get the smallest size that gives a good seal, I did try the small comfort tips and the fit at first felt and sounded balanced, but after some comparison I realised I was loosing some Bass and lower mids.

The Comply professional offer the best isolation but I can't use them for longer than an hour before they become uncomfortable, I find they insert a bit too deep depending on the IEM I'm using at the time.

If you want to experiment, don't forget to try the Westone tips too they fit the Shure and are quite good.

Here is my collection. :ksc75smile:

I find that everything depends on what size your ear holes are. Only personal experimentation will provide the answer.
Buy a set of mixed comply professional to find the fit.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #19,664 of 22,942
65t also has better water/sweat proof rating of ipx55/56. I don't think 846 has any. If you plan to wear 846/BT2 to exercise and you do sweat a lot, 846 might not be suitable in the long run.

Here's a quote from an interview Shure's Sean Sullivan did about the SE846:

"Allison Wolcott: I personally tend to have a pair of cheaper earphones for working out and save my higher-end earphones for non-sweaty listening. I’d be scared to use nice shiny new SE846 earphones on one of my hardcore aerobic workouts, but I bet they’d really help me power through. I’d love to be convinced that my fears of damaging them are unfounded.

Sean Sullivan: Your fears are unfounded! SE846 earphones stand up to our most intense quality standards. And, as part of the development team, I can say from an insider’s perspective that our quality standards are incredibly high. So, you can sweat on them at the gym without fear of damaging them. They’re designed to be used onstage in some of the most demanding environments. They’re built like tanks."

Which makes sense when you think about. We're not Shure's main target market, it's the pros; folks on stage sweating bucket loads.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #19,665 of 22,942
I wear mine of hard bicycle workouts and they do not seem to mind. They certainly are tough. And a new cable is cheap. (or not)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back