Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #19,382 of 22,942
Just got a set of these and I'm trying to change the filters. When i screw the nozzle back on the screw won't quite screw all the way in and won't sit flush with the iem housing. Anyone else experience this and how can i fix it?

Jul 28, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #19,383 of 22,942
Just got a set of these and I'm trying to change the filters. When i screw the nozzle back on the screw won't quite screw all the way in and won't sit flush with the iem housing. Anyone else experience this and how can i fix it?
Hello. I haven't had that problem and I am not a 'sophisticated user' as you surely are. I bet 99.999 the problem is you not the product. Maybe a dab of the special oil would help (a kind poster here told me to buy the $5 oil ((from ebay I got it, $11 at walmart)) ). I will PM you also.

Jul 28, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #19,384 of 22,942
Hello. I haven't had that problem and I am not a 'sophisticated user' as you surely are. I bet 99.999 the problem is you not the product. Maybe a dab of the special oil would help (a kind poster here told me to buy the $5 oil ((from ebay I got it, $11 at walmart)) ). I will PM you also.
PS - I urge you to post a few nice, bright & clear pics' here and then we ought to be able to help you get this righted.

Jul 28, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #19,385 of 22,942

I had the same issue at first then worked out this method:

1. Ensure filter is fully in the sound tube - turn filter a bit until it drops fully in the tube.
2. Line up red dots on sound tube and inner surface of se846 body (as per User Guide)
3. I then gently turn the sound tube back and forth until it seats properly in the se846 body - it will feel stable and when viewed from above, the tube is perfectly central in the hole.
4. drop on the cap and gently twist anti-clockwise until it looks level on the body and then gently screw down clockwise using fingers, and then use the tool to tighten it up.

I had to do this a few times until I got it right. Now it's second nature :)
Good luck!!

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #19,386 of 22,942

Happened to me as well... normally the filter was just not inserted correctly. @bluesbreaker63 described the process in great detail. Point 2 is also very important, I ran into that the last time I switched filters... the screw did not go in, breaking the seal. Sound was... not good :wink:

Don't use any kind of oil though... I think the BA drivers might not like it one bit. The screw mechanism works perfectly fine, it just needs a steady hand and good alignment.

I had the same issue at first then worked out this method:

1. Ensure filter is fully in the sound tube - turn filter a bit until it drops fully in the tube.
2. Line up red dots on sound tube and inner surface of se846 body (as per User Guide)
3. I then gently turn the sound tube back and forth until it seats properly in the se846 body - it will feel stable and when viewed from above, the tube is perfectly central in the hole.
4. drop on the cap and gently twist anti-clockwise until it looks level on the body and then gently screw down clockwise using fingers, and then use the tool to tighten it up.

I had to do this a few times until I got it right. Now it's second nature :)
Good luck!!

Jul 28, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #19,388 of 22,942
Think I like the white tips best. The blue and black made things a little too "thick" sounding. All the fine details become more apparent with the white, whilst the bass is still very present when the music has it.

Jul 28, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #19,389 of 22,942
So I've been listening exclusively to my Senn HD800S for the last month and i finally gave my 846 a listen and it was incredibly disappointing to my ears :frowning2: I know it might not be a fair comparison to compare an IEM to a full size, but the 846 sounded so veiled. The soundstage being small, it sounded like the instruments were not in their right places. Now i'm not saying that it sounded bad but in comparison to my 800S it honestly sounds miles apart. I'm now pretty certain i am going to sell my 846. Maybe i have to move up a class range in IEM's now to get closer to the 800S? I really don't know what i am going to do...

Jul 28, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #19,391 of 22,942
So I've been listening exclusively to my Senn HD800S for the last month and i finally gave my 846 a listen and it was incredibly disappointing to my ears :frowning2: I know it might not be a fair comparison to compare an IEM to a full size, but the 846 sounded so veiled. The soundstage being small, it sounded like the instruments were not in their right places. Now i'm not saying that it sounded bad but in comparison to my 800S it honestly sounds miles apart. I'm now pretty certain i am going to sell my 846. Maybe i have to move up a class range in IEM's now to get closer to the 800S? I really don't know what i am going to do...
1. SE846 is not veiled.
2. Comparing an IEM to an open pair with the biggest soundstage such as the 800s is like saying "oranges are often way more sour and rounder than apples"
3. They each serve a different purpose unless you feel comfortable walking around in public with 800s strapped to your head.
4. Since you are so disappointed with your SE846, I'll offer $100 for them.

Please get over your new toy bias. SE846 would never be anywhere near the playing field of HD800s in term of technicality but so would many TOTL IEMs which SE846 compete very well against. Get real...

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #19,392 of 22,942
1. SE846 is not veiled.
2. Comparing an IEM to an open pair with the biggest soundstage such as the 800s is like saying "oranges are often way more sour and rounder than apples"
3. They each serve a different purpose unless you feel comfortable walking around in public with 800s strapped to your head.
4. Since you are so disappointed with your SE846, I'll offer $100 for them.

Please get over your new toy bias. SE846 would never be anywhere near the playing field of HD800s in term of technicality but so would many TOTL IEMs which SE846 compete very well against. Get real...
You can calm down, no need to offer me $100 and tell me to get real. This is an impressions thread is it not? I was simply giving my impression compared to another piece of listening equipment. I said a few times that i know it's unfair to compare the two before i even mentioned my impressions...I was literally just asking if anyone knows of another IEM that sounds a bit closer to say an 800S. I have not heard that many IEM's so it's hard for me to know. I also said that the 846 still sounds good, it's just amazing to me to compare the sound signatures that's all.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #19,393 of 22,942
You can calm down, no need to offer me $100 and tell me to get real. This is an impressions thread is it not? I was simply giving my impression compared to another piece of listening equipment. I said a few times that i know it's unfair to compare the two before i even mentioned my impressions...I was literally just asking if anyone knows of another IEM that sounds a bit closer to say an 800S. I have not heard that many IEM's so it's hard for me to know. I also said that the 846 still sounds good, it's just amazing to me to compare the sound signatures that's all.

Gotcha. My apology...
Also, please let us know when you find an IEM with the same soundstage and technicality as HD800s. Thx in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #19,395 of 22,942
All good and i apologize if i came off a bit brash.

Nah, no worry. PM me if you wanna talk more about IEMs or the HD800/s in general. We might be down the street from one another...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back