Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #19,157 of 22,890
When I said neutral i meant totally exaggerated bass and rolled off highs. Just a different way of saying that. Geesh, some people can't see what I really mean :D
You sir have the best definition for neutral.
Regardless, we all love our 846 for Shure

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #19,158 of 22,890
I use (presently) Spiral Dots. I went on a tip here (no pun) about jury rigging them. Very easy, just cut off the inner-tube part of any tip and you have instant 5mm nozzle. Anyway, I like the Spirals. Spins i bought the wrong size (like an idiot) or, maybe they run smallish. Anyways, they ain't cheap, so ill wait before attempt # 2.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #19,161 of 22,890
So in short, if my se846's appear to be lacking in the bass department, then something's wrong?

When I saw you initial post, I thought it was April Flool’s Day, except we are way past that date.

If your SE846 has less”bas” than your iPod ear pieces, then something is DEFINITELY wrong. But, do not panick!

1. Check the fit of the tips. The large size is no guaranty of good fit—as it was mentioned before, the tips can fold and cause leaks. Try different sizes and different types (foam and silicon) to ensure perfect. If you stick your fingers into your ear canals and hold them tightly, you should get a good seal. Then you hear this funny sound which is the sound of silence. You should hear the same thing with well-fitted tips. If you don’t, you found your problem.

2. If you succeeded in step 1and still get no bass, still do not pay nick...yet. Take the little gadget for filter replacement and use it to tighten the sound tubes to get a tight seal with the body of the earpieces—you have to remove the tips first, of course. If you used the foam tips, that may take some encouragement as the friction is strong against the external walls of the tubes. Hint: if you plan on changing the tips again later, use a little clean water to lubricate the outside of the tubes and ease the removal and insertion of the tips later.

3. If both steps failed to get you a good bass, them you definitely have a problem. You may have a defective pair of SE846, or a very bad counterfeit. If you bought the IEM from an authorized dealer, then I think is likely the former case. Return the pair for a new one. If you bought it very cheap from an unauthorized dealer or second-hand from an individual, then it could still be defective but it is more likely a fake. Externally, it is very hard to tell the difference—I have the same problems with mechanical watches that I collect. Externally, the clones look virtually identical to the real thing, even to professional eyes. I have to open the watches and look at the movements inside, the heart of the watch, then I can easily tell the difference. In the case of the SE846, The proof is in the sound of course.

Unfortunately, iit appears that you may not have a reference sound for comparison. So it may be hard for you to tell. Maybe you could find a friend with a good pair of SE846, or a person in this Forum living near you, or an authorized Shure dealer to help you do the comparison. A real pair of SE846; should give you the so-called sub-bass (between 20 to 40 Hz or so, like the lowest organ sound, which many can mostly feel rather than hear), good bass (about 80 to about 40 to 60 Hz, the deep sound of bass guitar) and good upper bass (about 60 to 200 Hz or so, the sounds of many bass guitars and big drums) because the 846 are somewhat boosted in these areas. At any event, the sub-bass, mid-bass and to a lesser extent the upper-bass should be way more audible than with your iPod ear pieces. BTW, what are you using for player/amplifier with the SE846?

In short, if the fit of the ear tips and the seating of the sound tubes are fine and still you get no bass, your SE846 is either defective or a fake. For help figuring out fakes, please read the many earlier posts in this thread dealing with this area.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #19,162 of 22,890
which is the sound of silence
Hello darkness my old friend...is it me you're looking for...I can see it in your eyes...
I'll show myself out now.

By the way, I use the medium olives to dampen/quicken the sub-bass decay.
In order to get subterranean, brain-jellying bazz I switch to the medium silicones. And lose a buttload of trebles in the process. I haven't unpacked the yellow foams yet.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #19,164 of 22,890
BTW, what are you using for player/amplifier with the SE846?

Thanks for the insight. From the sounds of it I may have a defective pair of earphones as I purchased them from the Shure website.
And in response to your question, I don't have an amplifier. I'm using only my Galaxy s8 phone. Could this explain the lack of bass I'm experiencing?

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #19,165 of 22,890
Thanks for the insight. From the sounds of it I may have a defective pair of earphones as I purchased them from the Shure website.
And in response to your question, I don't have an amplifier. I'm using only my Galaxy s8 phone. Could this explain the lack of bass I'm experiencing?
I do not have a Galaxy phone but I doubt that it is th source of your problem.

Try better fit for the ear tips and tightening your sound tubes first before returning the IEM.

Good luck!

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #19,166 of 22,890
I have S8+ Exynos. It's full of bass. Try different tips that coming with it.

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #19,167 of 22,890
What over ear headphone would you compare the SE846 signature to?

Though my current collection of over-ears is not extensive, i have auditioned several of the mainstays. I own a pair of the original Ultrasone Proline 750's, and I would guess that the Ultrasone lines all have a similar signature, with enormous and deep bass. They are not as well-known as many other brands these days, but are worth listening to. They have lovers and haters, of course!

Terry

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #19,168 of 22,890
What over ear headphone would you compare the SE846 signature to?

E-MU Teak. However, those have a bit more high-end presence, less mids quality, and more oomph in the bass. Still very close though.

Blind A/B test, no one would be able to tell them apart. :laughing:

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #19,169 of 22,890
How close are these in fit to the 215's? I used to wear those for the gym for years without issue. I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on the 846's. I have been going down the slippery road of buying more expensive IEM's and realizing that the more you spend the better they perform. I recently purchased the JVC fw01's but they are just not comfortable and feel like I am noticing the pressure points on my ears than actually listening to music. If I am going to spend 1K on IEMs I need to pretty much forget they are there. The cable behind the ear wont bother me. Again, the 215's and I have the RHA t20is that are above the ear.

The other thing is I want to sell some of my current IEMs to recoup the cost of these. Sony N3's, JVC fw01, and my t20is. Are the 846's that good that I wont have any desire to go to any of these lesser ones right?

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #19,170 of 22,890
How close are these in fit to the 215's? I used to wear those for the gym for years without issue. I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on the 846's. I have been going down the slippery road of buying more expensive IEM's and realizing that the more you spend the better they perform. I recently purchased the JVC fw01's but they are just not comfortable and feel like I am noticing the pressure points on my ears than actually listening to music. If I am going to spend 1K on IEMs I need to pretty much forget they are there. The cable behind the ear wont bother me. Again, the 215's and I have the RHA t20is that are above the ear.

The other thing is I want to sell some of my current IEMs to recoup the cost of these. Sony N3's, JVC fw01, and my t20is. Are the 846's that good that I wont have any desire to go to any of these lesser ones right?
the 846 are super comfy. you can wear them all day.

in terms of recouping the cost, it depends. the 846 is clearly better than all of those in terms of clarity, separation, and airiness. i find that the t20i with the bass filter has more bass (albeit sloppier), so it's up to you if you want to go back to those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back