Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 18, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #17,911 of 22,942
try changing the cable
the two included cables didn't make a difference maybe I should try an aftermarket cable
Also try gently cleaning the MMXC connection. Check the female connection inside the earphones for breakage. When I clean mine, the pointy little alcohol soaked cotton swab came out black
Thanks I will try that

May 18, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #17,912 of 22,942
Be very careful, there may even be kits out there specifically designed for cleaning mmxc connectors.

May 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #17,913 of 22,942
the two included cables didn't make a difference maybe I should try an aftermarket cable

Thanks I will try that
i suffer from hearing loss in left ear did u do a hearing test as with iems that gets magnified more than headphones, so i have to manually adjust balance setting in a dap

May 18, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #17,914 of 22,942
i suffer from hearing loss in left ear did u do a hearing test as with iems that gets magnified more than headphones, so i have to manually adjust balance setting in a dap
when I put in earphones reversely the right side will be louder instead.

May 18, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #17,915 of 22,942
May 19, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #17,917 of 22,942
Hey, folks - you likely won't believe this, but I have not owned a cell phone in over ten years (not since my Cingular 8125/HTC Wizard). But I am finally getting one, via Verizon this time as they have the best coverage in my region of the world.

So, with the SE846 preferring 9 ohms impedance or below, what choices do I have (besides iPhone, which I've heard sounds great with both the 6s and current 7 models)?

Recent arrivals are the Moto-Z, the Samsung S8's, the LG V20, and the LG G6. The Samsung S7 is now pretty cheap, but I never heard any raves about that unit, audio-wise.

I was interested in the Google Pixel until I read it had a 16-ohm output impedance. Too bad!

Any impressions from folks successfully using their SE846's with their phone? (No outboard DACs or Amps involved... have to travel light with this.)

Thanks for the input!

Terry

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #17,918 of 22,942
Hey, folks - you likely won't believe this, but I have not owned a cell phone in over ten years (not since my Cingular 8125/HTC Wizard). But I am finally getting one, via Verizon this time as they have the best coverage in my region of the world.

So, with the SE846 preferring 9 ohms impedance or below, what choices do I have (besides iPhone, which I've heard sounds great with both the 6s and current 7 models)?

Recent arrivals are the Moto-Z, the Samsung S8's, the LG V20, and the LG G6. The Samsung S7 is now pretty cheap, but I never heard any raves about that unit, audio-wise.

I was interested in the Google Pixel until I read it had a 16-ohm output impedance. Too bad!

Any impressions from folks successfully using their SE846's with their phone? (No outboard DACs or Amps involved... have to travel light with this.)

Thanks for the input!

Terry

The V20 (or LG G6 if you can get the variant with the Quad DAC) is your best bet. I've had the S7 Edge, V20, G6, and currently the S8+. LG's Quad DAC easily sounds the best. To me, it's equivalent to an entry-level DAC (~ $200).

The S8 is noticeably better than the S7 (I hear no hiss at all), but the SQ pales in comparison to the Quad DAC. Still, it's better than the LG G6 without the Quad DAC.

Unfortunately, regarding output impedance, we're never given what they are on phones. So no one can say which technically pairs better than the 9 ohm SE846.

Hope this helps.

May 19, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #17,919 of 22,942

Thanks for the input!

Terry
i have lg v20 and iphone 7 plus 256 gigs and the iphone sound way better with my shure

May 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #17,920 of 22,942
i have lg v20 and iphone 7 plus 256 gigs and the iphone sound way better with my shure

Yes, that little dongle/DAC on the iPhone appears to be a great item, as it turned out!
The MOTO-Z (and Z-Force) have that USB-C-to-headphone jack thing that I imagine is a similar DAC in a dongle. I haven't heard anyone talk about its sound quality, though.

Terry

May 19, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #17,921 of 22,942
The MOTO-Z (and Z-Force) have that USB-C-to-headphone jack thing that I imagine is a similar DAC in a dongle. I haven't heard anyone talk about its sound quality, though.

I tried it, it's not good.

May 22, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #17,922 of 22,942
removed

Attachments

• KEMAR.jpg
    KEMAR.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SE846 different tips.png
    SE846 different tips.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SE846 balance.png
    SE846 balance.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SE846 Harman comp.png
    SE846 Harman comp.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SE846 Harman comp relative.png
    SE846 Harman comp relative.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Shure olive.png
    Shure olive.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #17,923 of 22,942
Alright guys, now that I have the lab up and running, time to share some measurements with you guys. First set of measurements today is on the different eartips and their influence. Later I'll share measurements on the different filter mods. Probably some time next week. Let me know what else you would like to see.

NOTES:
  • equipment: G.R.A.S. KEMAR with antropomorphic ears (i.e. with real ear canal), Audio Precision APx525.
  • All measured at characteristic voltage (--> 500Hz = 94dB)
  • Used my filter mod for these measurements (= white filter with one foam)
My Buddy
9947030.jpg

Different tip measurements

[ATTACH1]2328824[/ATTACH1]

measurement comments:
  • best extension found with SpinFit (as reported by many), worst extension with Shure silicon tips (no surprise given the narrow diameter)
  • Smoothest response = Shure Olive --> interestingly seems to dampen some of the low mid resonances, cool!
  • Comply Ts500 also has smoothing characteristics in low mids, but worse extension than Olive.
  • I wouldn't pay too much attention to the very low frequencies roll-off exact values, but in general the foam tips will have a natural high pass filter effect (not perfectly sealing)
L/R Balance
[ATTACH1]2328825[/ATTACH1]
The sad side of having measurement equipment... finding issues with your gear. My right side sample has 2-2.5 dB higher sensitivity in the mids. It's not a big issue as I'm actually slightly less sensitive on that side :D

Harman curve compensated responses
[ATTACH1]2328826[/ATTACH1]
Note:
graph says SpinFit, but it was actually with the Olive tip.

This to me shows the real value of the SE846. Properly balanced response! There are not a lot of multi-BA earphones which such a balanced response. Closest I've seen (or even better) is Prophile 8.
Yes, the top octave is rolled off too much, but I don't think that's a big issue.

More easy to interpret graph below, normalized to 630Hz +/-10dB.

[ATTACH1]2328827[/ATTACH1]

Once more the Shure SE846 with white filter foam mod and Olive tips (smoooooth :) ).

[ATTACH1]2328828[/ATTACH1]

What is the white filter foam mod?

I'd be curious to see measurements with the Comply P-series tips, if you have a chance.
Also, a comparison of the 3 original filters.
Also, if you have SE215, I wouldn't mind seeing a comparison.
Thanks! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #17,924 of 22,942
What is the white filter foam mod?

I'd be curious to see measurements with the Comply P-series tips, if you have a chance.
Also, a comparison of the 3 original filters.
Also, if you have SE215, I wouldn't mind seeing a comparison.
Thanks! :ksc75smile:
White filter mod = white filter + one piece of foam from the blue filter. After many back and forths it's the one I settled on. I will measure the different filters and mods next.

No P-series comply or SE215 around, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back