Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #17,867 of 22,942
Hi everyone!
I just got new 846's yesterday (after all of the discussion above, I'd like to clarify that they're definitely not fake. They were purchased new from Amazon, not from a 3rd party seller).

I bought these for my commute, they're replacing my SE215's which I got a year and a half ago. To be perfectly honest I'm underwhelmed at how they sound in comparison. I was expecting so much more based on everything that I read. My current conclusion (hope?) is that I don't have a proper amp. My phone (LG G3) is not a good candidate, I also listened on a Schiit Vali 2 (which isn't portable), but that has an output impedance of 1.2 ohms which is pretty borderline and I wasn't impressed. I also have a Fiio E07K which was fine with the 215, but I can hear a hum on the 846 and the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Based on what I read in this thread (the last 15 pages) and what I already know, my 2 contenders for a portable amp are the Oppo HA2-SE ($300) or the Chord Mojo ($500).

1. What would you recommend if price was not an issue?
2. What would you recommend when taking price into account?
3. Would one of these noticably improve my experience? I wasn't blown over by the 846's and I can sell them for almost the full price that I paid, so would getting a new portable amp actually make such a big difference? Or should I sell them?

Sorry for asking questions which have probably been answered numerous times, but ever since the new re-design of the forums, there's no option to search threads which is extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

I bought Shure 425, 215 and 846 in order.

The 425 because it was in my budget at that time, the 215 to run outside without risking to damage the 425, and the 846 because i was then hooked to the Shure sound signature, and wanted(and could afford) the best from them.

While i adore my 846, the 215 are, in my opinion, the best deal of the bunch. The 846 are 7 times pricier than the 215, but maybe, argumently, 2 or 3 times better. The 425 are a strange beast...clearer mids and highs than the 215, but bass is, in my opinion again, sounding better in quality than the 215, but lacking and it makes for an unbalanced sound signature.

In my experience,all of those IEM benefits a lot from a dedicated music player, Bass get a lot punchier(particuliary for 425), and everythings is more defined. Going from my Samsung S5 to FIIO X3 was a niceley tangible upgrade.

I do have the FIIO X3, and it does the job realy good. I did got a X5 3rd generation for around 10 days, and it is sounding a little better, a little more clearer and brighter, and offer acces to online music service, wich can be great.

While i know that some Iphones have reportly good sound output, i do personnaly recommend that you get a real music player or add an amp to your phone. Otherwise, it's like bying an expensive 4k televison, playing an old VHS tape player in it and being insatisfied with the picture quality.

May 7, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #17,868 of 22,942
bought them finally

tested with my axon 7 and 16 bits wav files
they're strictly not worth 1000$, sound quality is awesome but it hasn't blown me away
comfort isn't very good

I used to listen (lossless only) with panasonic RP-HJE120 which is 8$ and sounds great also...:confused:

May 9, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #17,870 of 22,942
Are you planning to buy one?

Am really excited to see a review on the forums :)

Still waiting to hear about a USB-C alternative. It's stupid to only support Apple :frowning2:

May 9, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #17,873 of 22,942
Hi everyone!
I just got new 846's yesterday (after all of the discussion above, I'd like to clarify that they're definitely not fake. They were purchased new from Amazon, not from a 3rd party seller).

I bought these for my commute, they're replacing my SE215's which I got a year and a half ago. To be perfectly honest I'm underwhelmed at how they sound in comparison. I was expecting so much more based on everything that I read. My current conclusion (hope?) is that I don't have a proper amp. My phone (LG G3) is not a good candidate, I also listened on a Schiit Vali 2 (which isn't portable), but that has an output impedance of 1.2 ohms which is pretty borderline and I wasn't impressed. I also have a Fiio E07K which was fine with the 215, but I can hear a hum on the 846 and the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Based on what I read in this thread (the last 15 pages) and what I already know, my 2 contenders for a portable amp are the Oppo HA2-SE ($300) or the Chord Mojo ($500).

1. What would you recommend if price was not an issue?
2. What would you recommend when taking price into account?
3. Would one of these noticably improve my experience? I wasn't blown over by the 846's and I can sell them for almost the full price that I paid, so would getting a new portable amp actually make such a big difference? Or should I sell them?

Sorry for asking questions which have probably been answered numerous times, but ever since the new re-design of the forums, there's no option to search threads which is extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

LH Labs GO2Pro @ $480?

May 9, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #17,874 of 22,942
LH Labs GO2Pro @ $480?
I've basically decide that I'm going to get the Mojo.
As far as the sound I get from these, I'm much much much happier with them now. I don't know if it's brain burn in or what, but they are beyond fantastic now. It's like they opened up or something. Even directly out of my phone, they sound amazing. I can't wait to hear them with the Mojo!

May 9, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #17,876 of 22,942
hi there i have a third party cable and it cuts sound out on the left side any idea to stop this sound cut out

May 10, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #17,877 of 22,942
hi there i have a third party cable and it cuts sound out on the left side any idea to stop this sound cut out
Try cleaning the contacts with a cleaner such as DeoxIT (sold on Amazon and fleabay), and if cleaning the contacts doesn't help, change the connector to an as close to a diameter/size of the stock connector as you can.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

May 11, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #17,878 of 22,942
My mother just put my SE846s in the washing machine by accident and water went inside it i don't know what to do??????

i just took it out from a bucket of rice to dry the inside components it worked but without bass at all :triportsad::triportsad:

it was in the rice for 4:30 hours

please help

does the water damage the BA drivers ??

May 11, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #17,879 of 22,942
My mother just put my SE846s in the washing machine by accident and water went inside it i don't know what to do??????

i just took it out from a bucket of rice to dry the inside components it worked but without bass at all :triportsad::triportsad:

it was in the rice for 4:30 hours

please help

does the water damage the BA drivers ??

First, find out if the nozzle inserts/filters aren't clogged. Try changing out the filters, that may fix the sound issue. If not, give it a couple/few more days so the SE846 can get as dry as possible.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

May 11, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #17,880 of 22,942
First, find out if the nozzle inserts/filters aren't clogged. Try changing out the filters, that may fix the sound issue. If not, give it a couple/few more days so the SE846 can get as dry as possible.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

am sure the inserts are dry i can't see any water from the outside ...

i don't know about the inside

i also put them in distilled water for 3 minutes before drying them

now i returned them to the rice with the silicon bag that comes with shoes box i hope it will dry :cold_sweat:

am afraid if one of the BA drivers is broken becaus my mother tried them after she took them out from the washing machine she was afraid it's broken and she said it didn't work at all

do you think it will work fine after few days ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back