Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #17,851 of 22,886
Thank you for taking the photos. I can see on my earphones that the shell is hollow beyond the screw, so I suspect they are fake. I paid just over £400.
Now the question is, do I report the items as fake and go through eBay and PayPal to recover my money, or do I return them to the seller for a refund giving the benefit of the doubt?!

I actually did buy some fake Sennheiser IE800 from eBay myself. The seller wrote they were refurbished so I kind of got fooled to think it would be more believable. Why refurbish a fake, right? But, I guess the refurbish trick may actually be part of the rouse. Anyway, I contacted the seller just like eBay told me to and informed that I could see that it was a fake. The seller told me to listen to them again and that he did not think they were fake. I then bought the real IE800 from a dealer and took pictures of them to show differences. The seller still would not admit they were fake. I did not find any option at eBay to just report them as fake and it seemed to me my only option was to request a return. So I did that. I had the option to say that I returned them because they did not match the description on sellers page. I do not remember exactly but there may have been another option I selected to say they were fake, but I also reported that they were fake in the comments and attached pictures. The seller then accepted the return. I sent them back the same day. But I made the mistake to send them as registered letter instead of package, because the post office only gave me that option. I got tracking number, but it never updated other than to say that it had been handed in to the carrier. I contacted the post office a week later and they helped me fill inn a missing package form. I then waited for about two weeks but nothing happened. I called the carrier (in Norway). They told me they had someone looking into it and I was handed over to this person. The person told me that they could not track registered letters to USA and some other countries, but they had been in contact with the carrier in USA and they had confirmed that the package had been received in their network, but had not been able to deliver it yet. I contacted the seller with this information, but he just promised to give me refund once he had received the shipment. I then got a message from eBay where they had some information and a deadline to open a eBay Money Back Guarantee case with a link. I did that and I am currently waiting for them to get back to me. If they do not help I can try PayPal as a last resort. But I may loose the money if they require me to give them proof that they were fake, because now I do not have the option to go to a Sennheiser authorized shop and get it documented. So my lesson from this is to never by from eBay again. Period. And I think you should probably not just send the item back if it is fake.

Edit: I received feedback from eBay today:

We're sorry you had a problem with your purchase. However, to receive a refund, buyers need to return the item within the required timeframe after the seller has accepted a return request. This item wasn't returned to the seller on time.

I now believe the seller gave me a fake return address. This is the address he gave me:
139A Charles St
Unit 146
boston MA 02114-3252

But when I received the package it had a different address:
105 Newland St
Malden, MA02148

I just tried looking up both at this site:
https://www.edq.com/free-address-lookup-tool/

The return address is not found, the other address is found.

I will try my last option and see if Paypal will believe I received fakes, and if not then my money is lost. Anyway, lesson is; do not return items to seller if they are fake. You will probably end up loosing your money and the opportunity to prove your case because you no longer have possession of the fake item.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #17,853 of 22,886
i want to ask please is there a good bluetooth cable solution for shure 846. is the westone bluetooth cable the best

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #17,854 of 22,886
I have the clear version so not able to compare directly with mine, but from what I see in the picture I suspect them to be fake. Fake se846 are usually colored. Here is a picture of the bronze version:

shure-se846-bnz.jpg

Comparing this to your pictures I see a different font on the SE846 text and also the supposedly bronze color seems more like gold in your pictures. You have picture of the right side but looking at the left circle and text in the picture above it seems it have thinner lines than the R in your picture.

Comparing to this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/counterfeit-shure-se846-dissected.823376/

I see the same lack of missing grooves on the nozzles, although the rest are looking quite different from yours.

i never knew there are fake shure 846

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #17,855 of 22,886
Apr 30, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #17,856 of 22,886
Folks, it seems that I may have detected a scam while looking at the FS forum here for the SE-846. The person had no or almost no feedback, and was selling two SE-846s, one blue, one clear, claiming that he only tried them on once or twice to check them out. I asked if he had an invoice, and he sent me a copy of an amazon invoice for one of the two (the blue one), and said the invoice for the clear was basically the same, purchased recently from amazon. He was selling them in the high 500s/low 600s. I checked out the invoice, which at first look seemed perfectly fine. Then, I called amazon to ask if the order number was legit on the amazon invoice, which they told me it was. But then, I looked more carefully at the copy of the invoice he sent me, and there was a typo in it. I asked amazon if their copy of the invoice had a typo, and they said no. So this is what I believe is going on. Someone gets a real invoice and then takes that info, copies it into a dupe fake invoice, and it looks just like it really is a legit invoice, thereby tricking a purchaser into buying the earphones. And of course, the seller can do this over and over again, until the poor buyer gets stuck holding the bag on either a fake earphone or one that has no warranty (likely the former). Ticks me off big time, but fortunately, I caught this in time (though the two sets of earphones, the zero feedback and the almost half off price for a virtually untouched set of earphones allegedly purchased just a month and a half ago set off alarm bells already). I guess the legit going rate for second hand still under warranty SE-846s here at head-fi should be around 600 or so - but at this point, I'm not sure what's legit and what's not.... Really a shame....

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #17,858 of 22,886
Hi everyone!
I just got new 846's yesterday (after all of the discussion above, I'd like to clarify that they're definitely not fake. They were purchased new from Amazon, not from a 3rd party seller).

I bought these for my commute, they're replacing my SE215's which I got a year and a half ago. To be perfectly honest I'm underwhelmed at how they sound in comparison. I was expecting so much more based on everything that I read. My current conclusion (hope?) is that I don't have a proper amp. My phone (LG G3) is not a good candidate, I also listened on a Schiit Vali 2 (which isn't portable), but that has an output impedance of 1.2 ohms which is pretty borderline and I wasn't impressed. I also have a Fiio E07K which was fine with the 215, but I can hear a hum on the 846 and the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Based on what I read in this thread (the last 15 pages) and what I already know, my 2 contenders for a portable amp are the Oppo HA2-SE ($300) or the Chord Mojo ($500).

1. What would you recommend if price was not an issue?
2. What would you recommend when taking price into account?
3. Would one of these noticably improve my experience? I wasn't blown over by the 846's and I can sell them for almost the full price that I paid, so would getting a new portable amp actually make such a big difference? Or should I sell them?

Sorry for asking questions which have probably been answered numerous times, but ever since the new re-design of the forums, there's no option to search threads which is extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #17,859 of 22,886
Hi everyone!
I just got new 846's yesterday (after all of the discussion above, I'd like to clarify that they're definitely not fake. They were purchased new from Amazon, not from a 3rd party seller).

I bought these for my commute, they're replacing my SE215's which I got a year and a half ago. To be perfectly honest I'm underwhelmed at how they sound in comparison. I was expecting so much more based on everything that I read. My current conclusion (hope?) is that I don't have a proper amp. My phone (LG G3) is not a good candidate, I also listened on a Schiit Vali 2 (which isn't portable), but that has an output impedance of 1.2 ohms which is pretty borderline and I wasn't impressed. I also have a Fiio E07K which was fine with the 215, but I can hear a hum on the 846 and the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Based on what I read in this thread (the last 15 pages) and what I already know, my 2 contenders for a portable amp are the Oppo HA2-SE ($300) or the Chord Mojo ($500).

1. What would you recommend if price was not an issue?
2. What would you recommend when taking price into account?
3. Would one of these noticably improve my experience? I wasn't blown over by the 846's and I can sell them for almost the full price that I paid, so would getting a new portable amp actually make such a big difference? Or should I sell them?

Sorry for asking questions which have probably been answered numerous times, but ever since the new re-design of the forums, there's no option to search threads which is extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

I got these from Amazon (UK) recently too, mine are definitely not fakes and driven from my Mojo sound superb.

The best way to tell the fakes, from what I understand is they don't have the cutouts around the base of the nozzle, used to remove the nozzles to change the filters.

May 1, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #17,861 of 22,886
Finally interested in following the forums again now that my player will be back in hand on Friday. :relaxed:
Grad school starts in two weeks (at age 55), and I want to have all of my head-fi equipment ready to go. I'm not the brightest at my advanced age (lol) and haven't figured out to to use the SEARCH function yet with the new forum design. I'd like to get the brown Knowles dampers installed in my 846's but have forgotten who might have some wire insulation that works to hold the dampers in place effectively? I know I'm being lazy when I could go back page by page, but it's been a long day and I'm absolutely exhausted. Thanks in advance... =)

May 1, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #17,862 of 22,886
Amazon itself is definitely legit, and is an authorized Shure seller (as long as it is amazon itself and not an amazon third party doing the selling). The problem I've identified is that someone apparently can get hold of a legitimate amazon invoice, and then use that invoice information (I have no idea whether the original invoice actually belongs to that person, or more likely, given the typo I spotted and amazon confirmed), the person got the information off that invoice, plugged it into a dummy invoice, and then tries to sell it either as an amazon or ebay third party or here on head-fi, etc.

Not saying that all amazon third party sellers are illegitimate - but they're not authorized Shure resellers and you takes your chances if you go that route. Amazon typically will provide its buyers with a to z protection, and in my experience has always honored that commitment; ebay, however, is the wild west, and I've heard enough horror stories that I would never shell out big bucks on anything there.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #17,863 of 22,886
Finally interested in following the forums again now that my player will be back in hand on Friday. :relaxed:
Grad school starts in two weeks (at age 55), and I want to have all of my head-fi equipment ready to go. I'm not the brightest at my advanced age (lol) and haven't figured out to to use the SEARCH function yet with the new forum design. I'd like to get the brown Knowles dampers installed in my 846's but have forgotten who might have some wire insulation that works to hold the dampers in place effectively? I know I'm being lazy when I could go back page by page, but it's been a long day and I'm absolutely exhausted. Thanks in advance... =)

Congrats for starting Grad school! Some advice that I can give is to study with focus (passing well) in mind, and find help from classmates if you need it. I've been debating going for an advanced degree past my current Masters (would obtain probably an Ed. D.), but I would like for the decision to be financially worth it...so far, unfortunately, it isn't.

Anywhos, your question...yes - please PM my good friend @csglinux, and he will hook you up with some wire insulation! The brown Knowles dampers are lovely, but you may love the other colors even more, and that would be awesome as well!

Cheers, and good luck on your quest at Grad school!

May 1, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #17,864 of 22,886
well finally i joined the 846 club! Met up with a really nice headfi'er tonight. I used to have the 535s and missed those...Decided to get these after i lost my campfire audio jupiters.... Hoping these'll last me years to come, and now have to read up on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back