Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #16,696 of 22,943
  Oh... yeah that's not good.

I'm sure you've checked all the obvious things already, but nothing blocking the entrance to the housing, below the filter assembly?

If not, I guess either the mid or high frequency driver has come disconnected or its stuck somehow. Why don't you e-mail Shure and see what they say?

Yeah i took out the nozzle and the filters to see if there's anything blocking, but nothing. I've just sent an email to the local service center but I'm kinda worried since they don't have the best reputation as far as service center goes here.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #16,697 of 22,943
Hmm I tried my 846s again after some time, and for a few minutes, it did work just fine. Both sides. Then all of a sudden (after 3-4 songs), the right side muffles out again. I'm thinking this is what Tyll was referring to in his article on BA drivers:

"The reason why BA drivers are so efficient is because the armature (moving part of the motor, as opposed to the stator, the fixed part of the motor) is unstably balanced between two magnets and might easily, were it not for other parts of the mechanism, move too far and get stuck to the magnet"

Anyway I think I won't get any reply from the service center until at least next Monday, so in the meantime I'll probably look up on how the armature can get stuck and if possible, how to un-stuck it. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #16,698 of 22,943
Hmm I tried my 846s again after some time, and for a few minutes, it did work just fine. Both sides. Then all of a sudden (after 3-4 songs), the right side muffles out again. I'm thinking this is what Tyll was referring to in his article on BA drivers:

"The reason why BA drivers are so efficient is because the armature (moving part of the motor, as opposed to the stator, the fixed part of the motor) is unstably balanced between two magnets and might easily, were it not for other parts of the mechanism, move too far and get stuck to the magnet"

Anyway I think I won't get any reply from the service center until at least next Monday, so in the meantime I'll probably look up on how the armature can get stuck and if possible, how to un-stuck it. 

It's not just your ear being blocked, right? I've had a scare like that last week. I have a blockage in my eustachian tube that's messing up my hearing. It's from a cold.

Have you tried other earphones?

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #16,699 of 22,943
It's not just your ear being blocked, right? I've had a scare like that last week. I have a blockage in my eustachian tube that's messing up my hearing. It's from a cold.

Have you tried other earphones?

Nope I also cleaned my ears earlier just to be sure. I tried my spare IEM too. I also tried wearing the right earpiece on my left ear, and left earpiece on right ear. Even though the fit is bad, the difference in volume is very obvious.

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #16,700 of 22,943
Sometimes an imbalance in earpiece output is due to moisture. I store my 846 in a container with a moisture eliminator (the kind that sucks the moisture into the bottom of the canister). I buy them at the dollar store.

Moisture elimination keeps the IEM sounding crisp as well.

Edit to add: It is a good idea to clean the inside of the earpiece connection to the cable.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #16,701 of 22,943
Sometimes an imbalance in earpiece output is due to moisture. I store my 846 in a container with a moisture eliminator (the kind that sucks the moisture into the bottom of the canister). I buy them at the dollar store.

Moisture elimination keeps the IEM sounding crisp as well.

Edit to add: It is a good idea to clean the inside of the earpiece connection to the cable.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just put my 846s inside a camera dry cabinet with some moisture absorber packs as well. Gonna leave it for a night or two.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #16,703 of 22,943
  Yeah i took out the nozzle and the filters to see if there's anything blocking, but nothing. I've just sent an email to the local service center but I'm kinda worried since they don't have the best reputation as far as service center goes here.

You probably checked this already but since you mentioned that you had removed the filter --  are you sure that the filter holder is aligned properly and screwed in straight so that there is no gap to let sound out? 

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #16,704 of 22,943

You probably checked this already but since you mentioned that you had removed the filter --  are you sure that the filter holder is aligned properly and screwed in straight so that there is no gap to let sound out? 

Yeah they are fitted in properly.. I even tried testing without any nozzle/filters and place it on a desk like speakers. When the volume is maxed, the right earpiece is almost muted, apart from a little bass grumble. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #16,705 of 22,943
Seems like I'm pretty screwed. Took it out of the drybox after more than 48 hours, nothing changed. The local 'service center' also replied and said they don't do repairs, only replacement. And the cost of replacing one side is more than how much I bought the IEM for. Sigh.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #16,706 of 22,943
Seems like I'm pretty screwed. Took it out of the drybox after more than 48 hours, nothing changed. The local 'service center' also replied and said they don't do repairs, only replacement. And the cost of replacing one side is more than how much I bought the IEM for. Sigh.

I think it has been mentioned before, that it Shure policy to replace earpieces, rather than spend a lot of technician time dismantling, testing, repairing, reassembling faulty units.
Even so it is surprising that it costs more to supply you with one replacement earpiece, that you paid for the complete set in the first place.
Were your original earpieces brand new, or second hand, if they were much cheaper?

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #16,707 of 22,943
I think it has been mentioned before, that it Shure policy to replace earpieces, rather than spend a lot of technician time dismantling, testing, repairing, reassembling faulty units.
Even so it is surprising that it costs more to supply you with one replacement earpiece, that you paid for the complete set in the first place.
Were your original earpieces brand new, or second hand, if they were much cheaper?

Oh I didn't know about that. Well I bought it second hand. Should have been more careful, but it did work fine for a month. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #16,709 of 22,943
There is always a risk buying second hand. Can you return the hp and get your money back?

Yeah. I have bought quite a few electronics second hand from forums (head-fi and also some other local forums/marketplace). This is the first time the item stopped working within a year, and I bought it from a local forum. I don't think I can get my money back since it is not bought from a shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back