Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #16,681 of 22,942
Picked up a second hand SE846 with a copper cable (Nocturnal quad 29) for a really good price last week (~424USD). Must say I am really enjoying it. Comparing to the stock cable, the sound is less fatiguing with a slightly better definition on the low range. Much better ergonomics than the stock too.

On another note, what portable source ( DAP or DAC/amp) you guys use with the 846s? I'm currently looking at the Encore mDSD, but I'd like to know more options. I do prefer a very portable setup.

Don't use the mDSD for a SE846. The output impedance is about 5.3 ohms, much too high for the SE846.

EDIT: Looking back at the mDSD thread, it's 3.3 to 5.7 ohms as a rough estimate.

As I understand the SE846 benefits most from having as low of an output impedance as possible coming from its source.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #16,682 of 22,942
Get a used ZX2 from sales/trade forum here at about $600 and a trrs cable,none of my other players compares and that includes ak120ii and mojo.The only one at that level for the money is QP1R for below the $1000mark which i also auditioned but it's a bit too clinical vs the musicality of Sony.Great dap though,detail,clarity and soundstage are top notch.
Why ZX2? I thought it wasn't true balanced?

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #16,684 of 22,942
Ah I see. I will be on the lookout for the Dragonflies then. Have been reading some impressions of the DFR+846, and so far so good. Will go and audition it myself when I have the time.

I hope you don't have any DSD files or lossless files above 96 khz that you wanted to play natively, the DFB/R will not do that, your players will have to downsample.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #16,685 of 22,942
Why ZX2? I thought it wasn't true balanced?

Going trrs gives you most of the improvements usually associated with balanced. The thing you don't get is the double voltage swing as there is no inverted signal.Essentially you get better detail,instrument separation and cleaner backround and there is another trick we use to improve sound further objectively.Frankly i'm suprised that i don't see many se846 owners with ZX2 at such low price especially now that the new flagship has arrived although it is a bit pricey at $3200.

There are other high end daps no doubt but for the price you can find ZX2 used  at sales forum,there is no beating it for the euphoric/musical high end sound and the very long lasting battery as well as the sturdy/overall quality materials used.

I wouldn't bother with mid daps like dx80/90/x5,no doubt they sound good but se846 can give more.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #16,686 of 22,942
  Going trrs gives you most of the improvements usually associated with balanced. The thing you don't get is the double voltage swing as there is no inverted signal.Essentially you get better detail,instrument separation and cleaner backround and there is another trick we use to improve sound further objectively.Frankly i'm suprised that i don't see many se846 owners with ZX2 at such low price especially now that the new flagship has arrived although it is a bit pricey at $3200.

There are other high end daps no doubt but for the price you can find ZX2 used  at sales forum,there is no beating it for the euphoric/musical high end sound and the very long lasting battery as well as the sturdy/overall quality materials used.

I wouldn't bother with mid daps like dx80/90/x5,no doubt they sound good but se846 can give more.

Why do you say TRRS is not equal to fully balanced? Balanced just needs 4 connections. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #16,688 of 22,942
  http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Interview_Yoshioka_Sony_NW_ZX2.htm

Right, so for the Sony NW ZX2 it's not truely balanced. But TRRS in other applications is sufficient for true balanced.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #16,689 of 22,942
  Right, so for the Sony NW ZX2 it's not truely balanced. But TRRS in other applications is sufficient for true balanced.

Where's the inverted signal in TRRS? Is it not just Left/Left Ground/Right Ground/Right?

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #16,690 of 22,942
I think I found my perfect match with the Comply P series and white filter. A shame the P tips are hard to find and expensive.

My second favourite is Westone star tips, red bottomed.

I'm using the red westone star tips myself. The provided the best seal no matter how much my jaw moves and soundstage seems better compared to narrow-bore ones that the 846 comes with.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #16,692 of 22,942
Uh so just today I notice that there is a channel imbalance on my 846s. Right side sounds noticeably more muffled. I've tried different sources, different cables, reversing stereo channel, switching filters, all to no avail. Before I contact the service center, anyone can share any experience/ideas on this? It's not under warranty anymore. Really sad now. Just tried a few new albums yesterday and was really enjoying them. Well, until today :frowning2:

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #16,693 of 22,942
  Uh so just today I notice that there is a channel imbalance on my 846s. Right side sounds noticeably more muffled. I've tried different sources, different cables, reversing stereo channel, switching filters, all to no avail. Before I contact the service center, anyone can share any experience/ideas on this? It's not under warranty anymore. Really sad now. Just tried a few new albums yesterday and was really enjoying them. Well, until today :frowning2:

Something perhaps worth trying:

I've noticed that in my right ear, the SE846's nozzle is not perfectly aligned with my earcanal. I have to rotate the housing slightly upwards to get a better alignment. The HF opens up immediately when I do this. Be careful not to break the seal with your comply/olive/silicon tip though. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #16,694 of 22,942
  Something perhaps worth trying:

I've noticed that in my right ear, the SE846's nozzle is not perfectly aligned with my earcanal. I have to rotate the housing slightly upwards to get a better alignment. The HF opens up immediately when I do this. Be careful not to break the seal with your comply/olive/silicon tip though. 

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesnt work. I also tried cranking the playback volume to max and put the 846s on the table like speakers. The left side is way louder and clearer. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #16,695 of 22,942
  Thanks for the suggestion but that doesnt work. I also tried cranking the playback volume to max and put the 846s on the table like speakers. The left side is way louder and clearer. 

Oh... yeah that's not good.

I'm sure you've checked all the obvious things already, but nothing blocking the entrance to the housing, below the filter assembly?

If not, I guess either the mid or high frequency driver has come disconnected or its stuck somehow. Why don't you e-mail Shure and see what they say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back