Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #16,666 of 22,942
Any reviews on Westone MMCX Bluetooth cable?  iPhone 7 ->  Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable -> Shure SE 846. How's the quality with Spotify music vs Apple music? since they use different encoding.

I've been using the Westone bluetooth cable with my 846's, and the combination works for me. Obviously, any bluetooth solution involves tradeoffs. Hint:. Check (with a Mac) whether AAC is enabled on the bluetooth cable. It wasn't on mine, but Westone sent me a firmware update that enabled it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #16,667 of 22,942
Any reviews on Westone MMCX Bluetooth cable?  iPhone 7 ->  Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable -> Shure SE 846. How's the quality with Spotify music vs Apple music? since they use different encoding.

I've been using the Westone bluetooth cable with my 846's, and the combination works for me. Obviously, any bluetooth solution involves tradeoffs. Hint:. Check (with a Mac) whether AAC is enabled on the bluetooth cable. It wasn't on mine, but Westone sent me a firmware update that enabled it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #16,668 of 22,942
Would any kind souls be interested in selling some M sized spare tips to try out for the 846?  I love the earphones but can only get a mediocre fit with the stock tips.  I know there were couple new ones out lately but I don't want to invest 15 dollars on a pair of tips that wouldn't fit me anyways.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #16,669 of 22,942
Anyone using an AK70 with the SE846?

Saw this player in the airport this weekend and it's such a nice form factor for on the go! Now that it runs Tidal, I could see it being a really nice player for on the move.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #16,670 of 22,942
A heads up for those interested in buying the Ortofon EC7s cable for their Shure SE846's ...

... don't.

I bought on in HK this weekend and it basically wasted 100$ for nothing
  • The cable was actually malfunctioning once I unboxed it. One of the solder points had come undone inside the MMCX connector. I soldered it back together this morning, but really that shouldn't happen.
  • It clearly has higher impedance than the stock Shure cable. High mids/highs significantly more recessed, which can only mean one thing: higher impedance.

Gutted, cause they do feel nice and are really low weight.

Anyway, lessen learned: never buy a cable without listening to it in the shop.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #16,671 of 22,942
Picked up a second hand SE846 with a copper cable (Nocturnal quad 29) for a really good price last week (~424USD). Must say I am really enjoying it. Comparing to the stock cable, the sound is less fatiguing with a slightly better definition on the low range. Much better ergonomics than the stock too.

On another note, what portable source ( DAP or DAC/amp) you guys use with the 846s? I'm currently looking at the Encore mDSD, but I'd like to know more options. I do prefer a very portable setup.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #16,673 of 22,942
Picked up a second hand SE846 with a copper cable (Nocturnal quad 29) for a really good price last week (~424USD). Must say I am really enjoying it. Comparing to the stock cable, the sound is less fatiguing with a slightly better definition on the low range. Much better ergonomics than the stock too.

On another note, what portable source ( DAP or DAC/amp) you guys use with the 846s? I'm currently looking at the Encore mDSD, but I'd like to know more options. I do prefer a very portable setup.

I have a Mojo at work and attach an Oppo HA-2 to my phone for on the go use. The Mojo beats the Oppo, but I like it's form factor more for on the go. Slight hiss with both, but nothing unforgiveable.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #16,674 of 22,942
I have a Mojo at work and attach an Oppo HA-2 to my phone for on the go use. The Mojo beats the Oppo, but I like it's form factor more for on the go. Slight hiss with both, but nothing unforgiveable.

The Mojo is currently too expensive for me :/
  I use Fiio X5 II. Think its a great match.

Hmm I should go and audition the X5II then. Any hiss/noise? The 846s seems to be very sensitive.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #16,675 of 22,942
  Anyone using an AK70 with the SE846?

Saw this player in the airport this weekend and it's such a nice form factor for on the go! Now that it runs Tidal, I could see it being a really nice player for on the move.

No, but I am using the AK100ii with them. It is a match made in heaven.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #16,677 of 22,942
Hi,

Just saw a post about the Westone Bluethooth cable.

I've just purchased a set of these: http://www.head-fi.org/products/lear-btc-01/reviews/17017

Come with MMCX connectors so should plug into my 864's fine.

Will report back when they turn up in a few days. Fingers crossed.

Regards,
Simon

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #16,678 of 22,942
I assume that you're talking about pairing it with just about any Android devices or smartphones but nah, I've done that for more than a year now. I paired the SE846 with my OnePlus One and it was great. Although the mids were a bit recessed and the bass were a bit muddy it was still a great match. I couldn't get any other amps to match well with it, they all sounded way too rough with the SE846.

I recently got the Onkyo DP-X1 (which is also Android) and it sounded much better. Definitely unlocked some more potential of the SE846.

right, I meant that I think Android has the volume limit on different players.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #16,679 of 22,942

Get a used ZX2 from sales/trade forum here at about $600 and a trrs cable,none of my other players compares and that includes ak120ii and mojo.The only one at that level for the money is QP1R for below the $1000mark which i also auditioned but it's a bit too clinical vs the musicality of Sony.Great dap though,detail,clarity and soundstage are top notch.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #16,680 of 22,942
Hi all. 

I bought my 846, 2 weeks ago after auditioning them twice at my work place. I am not an audiophile, please excuse my use of simple layman terms.

My first impression of the demo set was the bass and how music sounded 'full'. But as soon as it played B01 Miyagi from Pianoforte Evangelion, the sounded started to 'crackle' and I was left disappointed because I really like the fidelity of the sound that came out of the 846.  

After 3 weeks later, I auditioned the demo set again and this time, it played the test tracks well so much so that I threw my entire library at it and it did not falter, it held strong and played everything with confidence even though it was quite noisy in the shop.

I was enthralled. Then I remembered the price tag which was $1448.99 and left the shop to ponder. I listened to my E70 which sounded hollow in comparison to the 846. I was hooked. I went back and bit the bullet. 

As I listened to music from my Note 5 with the largest Shure silicon ear tips, I really like the bass and the fidelity of the sound played through stock Samsung Music app. Then I used Jetaudio and played with the EQ, but couldn't really get the sound I wanted coz Godot Black coffee would start to sound 'muddy' around the 1 minute mark onwards when it hits louder frequencies. AGC function was used to regulate the volume of the music in my library because my ears hurt at high frequencies especially to female vocals like May'n if I keep to the same volume level unless I manually tune it down.

I started fitting all the eartips included in the box, triple flange modded to bi-flange, yellow foam tips, Olives. Had the best success with Largest silicon tips and bi-flange. But silicons tend to break seal when I moved my jaw unless I clench my teeth and widen my mouth into a grin during insertion. Bi-flange didn't quite worked on the left ear as seal breaks due to jaw movement unless inserted as above-mentioned. Even large spinfit didn't do the job well.

Went back to bi-flange (Right ear) and silicon (Left Ear), used Poweramp, eqed to the sound I want (basically flat except upping of lows). The magic was lost. What had impressed me in the first place wasn't there. Somehow, I couldn't discern the placement of instruments on the soundstage as all sounds are vying for attention. The only consolation I had was that the bass is still nice. EQed to flat for a few days and found the sound too shrill at times. 

I ordered the Westone star tips (orange/ silicone) and auditioned it using the slight bump to low, otherwise flat eq. Seal is good. comfort is good. how about the sound? Wasn't impressed at the first song I listened too. Female vocals for Gundam Unicorn RE0096 sounded soft. Then, tried Chant 1 - Making of a cyborg 2.0 version to test it for drum and vocal clarity. It sounded ok. Tested clarity again using 'Sou dayo' Nakajima Megumi. It sounded better. Pimk monsoon, Diamond Crevasse all started to sound better. Tested B01 Miyagi and KK A09 Miyagi and they sound good. Then I played Okuribito-Ending and that's when I realized. Soundstage imaging. I could roughly tell which direction the instruments being played is coming from, something which I couldn't get while using all the eartips mentioned above.  

The more I listened, the more I enjoyed the rhythm of the music that especially Yoshida brothers- A Hill with no name. With the Westone star tips, music just sounded clearer.

Now I am not sure if my 846 is started to benefit from burning in, or the Westone just does it for me with regards to the seal. I felt rejuvenated even though I had a tiring day at work. Good sounds really help to raised one spirits I guess.

The 846 didn't disappoint me in the end.  But my wife can never know the price tag for these. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back