Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #16,591 of 22,943
It has nothing to do with the OS of the device and everything to do with the impedance of the output jack.

Yes, exactly. I wanted to state that it doesn't matter at all whether it's a high end device or not but I forgot. lol

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #16,592 of 22,943
Yes, exactly. I wanted to state that it doesn't matter at all whether it's a high end device or not but I forgot. lol

Yes, and a proper pairing for an IEM wouldn't necessarily just include the impedance level either (for me). My Mojo, for example, has a very low impedance, but the sound with the 846 seems stressed (over driven) with unnatural tonality.

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #16,593 of 22,943

Yes, and a proper pairing for an IEM wouldn't necessarily just include the impedance level either (for me). My Mojo, for example, has a very low impedance, but the sound with the 846 seems stressed (over driven) with unnatural tonality.

hugo seems right on

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #16,594 of 22,943
I have been using Furutech ADL iHP 35 cable with my SE846, i am not totally happy with it, it offered only little improvement over stock cable in SQ and comfort. Now it is the time for a replacement cable, i am very busy working, so there is no time to read through 1000 page long threads. So, can anyone please help me to pick up a cable? i really appreciated. I would like a warmer presentation while maintaining the great bass quality of the 846. Also if the cable can get rid of the metallic "ringing" tone in 846's vocal is a big plus.

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #16,596 of 22,943

The Mojo does actually alter the SE846's tonality a bit in the upper mids and treble range. The reason for that is that the Mojo's output impedance is higher in the highs than it is in the lows. It was also confirmed by Chord in the Mojo thread after another member came up with that some time ago (they said they wanted to keep the output stage clean and simple to "maintain the transparency", but the downside of it would be that the unit isn't 100% load-stable regarding frequency response accuracy in the treble once a critical multi-driver low impedance IEM is connected).

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #16,597 of 22,943
The Mojo does actually alter the SE846's tonality a bit in the upper mids and treble range. The reason for that is that the Mojo's output impedance is higher in the highs than it is in the lows. It was also confirmed by Chord in the Mojo thread after another member came up with that some time ago (they said they wanted to keep the output stage clean and simple to "maintain the transparency", but the downside of it would be that the unit isn't 100% load-stable regarding frequency response accuracy in the treble once a critical multi-driver low impedance IEM is connected).

What? The Mojo's output impedance very low at 0.075 Ohm. Where does it change in the 'highs'?

Edit: I see, was it from here? Interesting...

http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.ca/2016/08/chord-mojo-gemessen-und-gehort-ich-habe.html#more

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #16,598 of 22,943

What? The Mojo's output impedance very low at 0.075 Ohm. Where does it change in the 'highs'?

It's true for most parts of the frequency range but in the highs it climbs up to somewhat around 2 Ohms (that value is according to a magazine), hence it will alter the treble response of some in-ears a little. It was also confirmed in the Mojo thread by Mr Watts himself a couple of months back that the Mojo won't measure 100% flat in terms of FR with some IEMs/headphones as load.
I'm preparing for bed right now and am not on my PC anymore, but I can link to the related posts and measurements made by other people and myself tomorrow.

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #16,599 of 22,943
It's true for most parts of the frequency range but in the highs it climbs up to somewhat around 2 Ohms (that value is according to a magazine), hence it will alter the treble response of some in-ears a little. It was also confirmed in the Mojo thread by Mr Watts himself a couple of months back that the Mojo won't measure 100% flat in terms of FR with some IEMs/headphones as load.
I'm preparing for bed right now and am not on my PC anymore, but I can link to the related posts and measurements made by other people and myself tomorrow.

I believe I found it in the edit to my post above yours.

:beerchug:

Edit: This is all I could find searching "output impedance" in the Mojo thread by Rob. Wonder what the testing setup was in the earlier linked article.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/15525#post_12487144

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/5100#post_12079497

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/14130#post_12444393

The most relevant post is the first one linked where he simply says that a lower impedance will not affect the highs like a higher impedance output. I'm simply trying to understand where the output impedance of the source device changes depending on the frequency. I thought that the output impedance of gear was simply what it was, not dependant on the frequency range, where a high impedance on the source will affect the frequency response of the connected IEMs/headphones.

Edit2: Please PM me if you want to discuss as I don't want to de-rail the SE846 thread on a different topic. :)

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #16,600 of 22,943
Ditto here. Using the same ADL cable and looking for something else.  I'm going to try Moon Audio Black or Sliver Dragon, probably Black and go balanced to mate with my AK300.  Don't want to spend a fortune and this may be a good compromise.
Quote:
I have been using Furutech ADL iHP 35 cable with my SE846, i am not totally happy with it, it offered only little improvement over stock cable in SQ and comfort. Now it is the time for a replacement cable, i am very busy working, so there is no time to read through 1000 page long threads. So, can anyone please help me to pick up a cable? i really appreciated. I would like a warmer presentation while maintaining the great bass quality of the 846. Also if the cable can get rid of the metallic "ringing" tone in 846's vocal is a big plus.

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #16,602 of 22,943
  Edit2: Please PM me if you want to discuss as I don't want to de-rail the SE846 thread on a different topic.
smily_headphones1.gif

That the output impedance climbs to ~ 2 Ohms in the higher ranges was stated in a review from www.hifinews.co.uk (in a printed/digital paper magazine, not online), along with backing up the Mojo's great measured performance that has already been proved by other magazines and sources with pro-grade measurement equipment.

Yep, those are some unloaded and loaded measurements done by me on my German site in my four-part Mojo review (I'm too lazy to structure and translate it into English but my résumé is that the Mojo is an excellent device and while it doesn't do everything perfectly and could also be a bit more "aggressive" at times, it is darn good overall, somewhat addictive and I'm mainly using it as a DAC only for most IEMs with an additional low impedance, low noise Amp for various reasons, whereas I use it to directly drive some full-sized head-phones; and finally I wrote that if I had to rate it, it would get ~ 4.5 out of 5 stars from me), however I've also uploaded them here on Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/45#post_12803183

Here are some measurements by another member months before I bought my Mojo, asking why there was some FR deviation under load: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/4320#post_12058168  

and Rob's answer to that matter: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/4320#post_12058437
(and I definitely disagree to the quoted statement before Rob's reply that this behaviour is "definitely audible" with every in-ear, as it definitely is not, especially with those where the deviation starts above ~ 9 kHz.)
The relevant links are in the spoiler above (I linked them here because they might still be interesting/helpful for some people after all given how popular the SE846 and Mojo are). 
beerchug.gif

Anyway, the FR deviation in the treble when connecting the SE846 to the Mojo is nothing drastic compared to what devices some people are using with the Shure that have got a higher overall output impedance and not only in the treble and skew the FR more and also more audibly because the deviation would start earlier and already in the lower mids.

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #16,603 of 22,943
That the output impedance climbs to ~ 2 Ohms in the higher ranges was stated in a review from www.hifinews.co.uk (in a printed/digital paper magazine, not online), along with backing up the Mojo's great measured performance that has already been proved by other magazines and sources with pro-grade measurement equipment.

Yep, those are some unloaded and loaded measurements done by me on my German site in my four-part Mojo review (I'm too lazy to structure and translate it into English but my résumé is that the Mojo is an excellent device and while it doesn't do everything perfectly and could also be a bit more "aggressive" at times, it is darn good overall, somewhat addictive and I'm mainly using it as a DAC only for most IEMs with an additional low impedance, low noise Amp for various reasons, whereas I use it to directly drive some full-sized head-phones; and finally I wrote that if I had to rate it, it would get ~ 4.5 out of 5 stars from me), however I've also uploaded them here on Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/45#post_12803183

[rule]

Here are some measurements by another member months before I bought my Mojo, asking why there was some FR deviation under load: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/4320#post_12058168

and Rob's answer to that matter: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/4320#post_12058437
(and I definitely disagree to the quoted statement before Rob's reply that this behaviour is "definitely audible" with every in-ear, as it definitely is not, especially with those where the deviation starts above ~ 9 kHz.)
The relevant links are in the spoiler above (I linked them here because they might still be interesting/helpful for some people after all given how popular the SE846 and Mojo are). :beerchug:

Anyway, the FR deviation in the treble when connecting the SE846 to the Mojo is nothing drastic compared to what devices some people are using with the Shure that have got a higher overall output impedance and not only in the treble and skew the FR more and also more audibly because the deviation would start earlier and already in the lower mids.

Thanks! I remember that now. The SE 846 is, not surprisingly, the most affected of those measured.

:beerchug:

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #16,604 of 22,943

Double helix cables are succulent. Very expensive and humongous wait times, but worth it, true artisan.

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #16,605 of 22,943

Edit: I see, was it from here? Interesting...

http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.ca/2016/08/chord-mojo-gemessen-und-gehort-ich-habe.html#more

Well, plug the Shure SE846 (with modded blue filters) into the Chord Dave and you'll hear it. Something weird happens in the highs on the Chord Mojo. But it sounds good nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back