Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #16,426 of 22,943
[COLOR=111111]I'm surprised the first time I hear about fake Se846.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=111111]I thought only the Sennheiser ie8/80 make fake.[/COLOR]

I think you're safe if you buy the transparent version.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #16,427 of 22,943

If you have an iPhone or iPad with a lightning connector, buy the adaptor for $9 (with free UPS shipping) and give it a try.  It'll compete with DACs/amps that are ten times the cost and really is an impressive feat of engineering.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMX62AM/A/lightning-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter

Don't forget, folks -- this only works on devices having iOS 10 (which has the system hardware support for the DAC feeding the lightening connector).

No iPod Nanos have that operating system (which saddens me).

You can supposedly install iOS 10 into your iPod Touch if you have a recent enough version that supports it. Then this would work with that. But not with iOS 9 or earlier.

Terry

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #16,428 of 22,943
  EBay won't send a label. They want nothing to do with shipping. They are well aware of what transpired, as I have been on the phone with them 3 times today and sent them a great deal of evidence and correspondence from Shure. They told me that the seller must supply me with a return shipping label if he wants the item back. I get a full refund whether he supplies the label or not. They wont shut down his account, just put a PayPal hold on the funds to guarantee I get refunded. EBay couldn't care less about sellers selling counterfeit goods. The majority of buyers aren't even aware that they are sold fakes and eBay gets their cut of those sales. That's all they care about.

I am from Spain. If you are in need of local help just PM me.

What a shame that people like that seller are over the face of Earth.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #16,429 of 22,943

I am from Spain. If you are in need of local help just PM me.

What a shame that people like that seller are over the face of Earth.

Thanks, but there should be no need for that. Ebay is taking this very seriously and acting swiftly. I just got notification from them informing me that I may be required to destroy the earphones and provide proof that they have been destroyed. I will know more on Monday. Interestingly, the seller currently has a pair of red SE535's on auction.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #16,432 of 22,943
Going slightly off topic, I got a pair of Etymotic ER4XR today and compared them to my SE846, and wow, I'm impressed.

When I first listened to the my ER4XR I was underwhelmed, but as my ears adjusted I began to understand the hype.  They're like a microscope for listening to midrange frequencies, though they still sound balanced (after your ears adjust).  They bring out unheard details in many well known tracks, and sound incredible with many types of music.

I compared them briefly to some of the IEMs I own.  First I compared them to my Shure SE425 since they are similarly priced.  The ER4XR are far superior in every way, providing more detailed mids and more bass.  Next I compared them to my Shure SE846, which are quite a different beast, each with their own strengths.  The SE846 is superior in the bass (especially the sub-bass) region and have a "warmer" sound, but the ER4XR definitely wins in the midrange, which is so detailed and smooth. It would be hard to say which is overall "better" since I enjoy them both equally - which is impressive when comparing a $350 IEM to a $1000 IEM.  BTW, for testing I was using a Chord Mojo, though they both also sound good with just an iPhone 7 headphone adapter.  I'm using SpinFit CP800-M tips with both, which are comfortable and give a good seal for my ears.

I expect switching between the SE846 and ER4XR will take a little adjusting each time, but it's worth it for the diversity in sound.  I think I'm done buying IEMs for a long while, since between the two I feel my needs are well covered.

Oct 15, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #16,433 of 22,943
Holy moly. Finally my pair arrived on Friday. Honeymoon period for sure.

That bass... My god. They're dark sounding though, just switched to the white filters to see if that suits me better.

Oct 15, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #16,434 of 22,943
Any tips for a cable with remote+mic for this earphone?

Obviously has to have super low impedance. I don't buy into the cable hype, so nothing to expensive please. I prefer the kind without memory wire, as long as it's flexible enough to just fall around the ear nicely.

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #16,435 of 22,943

Obviously has to have super low impedance. I don't buy into the cable hype, so nothing to expensive please. I prefer the kind without memory wire, as long as it's flexible enough to just fall around the ear nicely.

This one has worked well for me. It's reasonably priced, flexible, and goes around the ear without the hard memory wire of the OEM cable.

Oct 15, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #16,436 of 22,943

I've tried several and http://www.ebay.com/itm/201405303344 this one is the best quality comfort and mic quality wise.
Tried the earmax recomended above but mic quality is terrible.
I ride e-bike to work so wind is an issue.

Oct 15, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #16,437 of 22,943
Thanks @TimeLord and @dudiadudia1 !

PS: as a little gift, if you're into electronic music at all, check out "Photek - Pyramid" on these bad boys. Eargasm 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #16,438 of 22,943
I've tried several and http://www.ebay.com/itm/201405303344 this one is the best quality comfort and mic quality wise.
Tried the earmax recomended above but mic quality is terrible.
I ride e-bike to work so wind is an issue.

I haven't had any issues with its quality and I called myself and left a message to hear how it sounds when I got it and it was fine. And no one I called complained about it.

I mainly use it in noisy airports, office buildings, and busy city streets. My use case does not involve biking, so it may not work well under those conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back