Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #15,331 of 22,942
  I've yet to audition any Campfire monitors. Are they heavy? That aluminum looks cool, but it worries me a bit as well.

Not heavy, but heavier than acrylic and a little less in weight than my brass Torque t096z.  However, fit can be a concern for some people though.  Trying out multiple 3rd party universal tips are key to finding the right fit for your ears, in my opinion.  

Even though I love my SpinFit tips, it still doesn't give me very very good fit with the Andromeda, so I just purchased the tips that @twister6 recommended in his Andromeda universal tips/fit post (Penon Audio, here: http://penonaudio.com/3-Pairs-Grey-Red-Eartips).  Cheers. 
beerchug.gif

May 15, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #15,333 of 22,942
  So, how do they compare??

Won't go into crazy detail yet, but the main factors are fit as I feel the SE846 has a better fit, especially when implementing the SCS, but the Andromeda has a nice fit as well once you try a multitude of 3rd party sizes-fit-all tips to find the best fit, seal, and isolation for your ears.

SE846 is comparatively more laid-back and warmer in presentation, even with the white/modded color nozzle inserts installed.

Andromeda is comparatively more vibrant, airy and resolute in presentation.  Bass is on equal level to the SE846 to my ears even though it's presented slightly different to the low pass filter of the SE846.  Treble extends further as well.  Overall depth of sound, and its 3-dimensional-esque soundstage are all attributes that are among the best that I have listened to in any IEM.  I have other words in my mind that further describes the Andromeda, but I need to save something for the review in the near future...

May 15, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #15,334 of 22,942
Won't go into crazy detail yet, but the main factors are fit as I feel the SE846 has a better fit, especially when implementing the SCS, but the Andromeda has a nice fit as well once you try a multitude of 3rd party sizes-fit-all tips to find the best fit, seal, and isolation for your ears.

SE846 is comparatively more laid-back and warmer in presentation, even with the white/modded color nozzle inserts installed.

Andromeda is comparatively more vibrant, airy and resolute in presentation.  Bass is on equal level to the SE846 to my ears even though it's presented slightly different to the low pass filter of the SE846.  Treble extends further as well.  Overall depth of sound, and its 3-dimensional-esque soundstage are all attributes that are among the best that I have listened to in any IEM.  I have other words in my mind that further describes the Andromeda, but I need to save something for the review in the near future...

Moedawg, you have me intrigued. Your comparison to 846s is just how I would describe 1plus2s against the Shures. Have you heard the Tranlucents? Will you have the Andromeda on your visit to London?

May 15, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #15,335 of 22,942
Moedawg, you have me intrigued. Your comparison to 846s is just how I would describe 1plus2s against the Shures. Have you heard the Tranlucents? Will you have the Andromeda on your visit to London?

I have listened to the 1plus2 and wrote a review on the Ref. 1.  I will have the Andromeda and other goodies with me if I'm able to attend London (I hope to goodness)...

That said, I haven't listened to the 1plus2 in quite a while, but what I will disclose is that it did not move me the way musically/emotionally that the Andromeda does, that is for certain.

May 15, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #15,337 of 22,942
...i was using the neutral nozzles since I own the 846. I found the treble a little too recessed but it wasn't urgent enough to change the nozzle. I also hesitated because I read several opinions around here pointing out that the white nozzles sound too bright and sometimes fatiguing. Well I changed them today, and I didn't find the white nozzles too bright or fatiguing at all. To me they sound just right. I will keep them in...

May 15, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #15,338 of 22,942
 The weak link in this is the E12A. I never heard any kind of noise floor when using the X5/E12A combo. There was no hiss "that I was able to hear." The problem is that the volume adjustment on the E12A is not fine enough to allow fine volume control. Like another member mentioned a few posts back, the 846's will reproduce whatever sound is fed to them. Trying to decide if they will be a "good match" for whatever source is being used, is better stated "will they reveal the strengths or weaknesses of the equipment I feeding them through?" You very well might find that you need a different source before you hear how great they really sound. Nobody can make the decision of what is "good enough" for another person.

Are you saying e12a+x5 combo is not enough to extract great sound from se846.can you suggest any other portable amp under 400

May 15, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #15,339 of 22,942

Andromeda is comparatively more vibrant, airy and resolute in presentation.  Bass is on equal level to the SE846 to my ears even though it's presented slightly different to the low pass filter of the SE846.  Treble extends further as well.  Overall depth of sound, and its 3-dimensional-esque soundstage are all attributes that are among the best that I have listened to in any IEM.  I have other words in my mind that further describes the Andromeda, but I need to save something for the review in the near future..

@moedawg140 Thanks for the comparison. Sure sounds like a great IEM. Looking forward to your full review!

May 15, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #15,340 of 22,942
@moedawg140
Thanks for the comparison. Sure sounds like a great IEM. Looking forward to your full review!

No worries! Fun fact: when I was at AXPONA, I tried to get a rep from Shure to listen to the Andromeda...

May 15, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #15,341 of 22,942
Are you saying e12a+x5 combo is not enough to extract great sound from se846.can you suggest any other portable amp under 400

X5/E12A are a great combo, and sound great with the 846's. I apologize if I was unclear. The E12A is a great sounding amp. My only gripe is the volume knob doesn't allow for fine enough adjustment. I would not be the person to recommend an amp, only because I no longer use one personally with my current set-up. I'm sure that others could better help with this question.

May 16, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #15,342 of 22,942
 X5/E12A are a great combo, and sound great with the 846's. I apologize if I was unclear. The E12A is a great sounding amp. My only gripe is the volume knob doesn't allow for fine enough adjustment. I would not be the person to recommend an amp, only because I no longer use one personally with my current set-up. I'm sure that others could better help with this question.

Thanks for the clarification.

May 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #15,343 of 22,942

Finally got a pair of 846's.  No doubt they have a different (subwoofer) sound when compared to my 535's.  Song after song does sound better through the 846's.  

But one problem is consistent between the two.  The way the cables wrap around my ears.  Man, I cannot get those things to mold the way I want them to.  It's like I'm going to have to buy an mmcx cable just to avoid them.  Do people just remove the guides?

May 16, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #15,344 of 22,942

Finally got a pair of 846's.  No doubt they have a different (subwoofer) sound when compared to my 535's.  Song after song does sound better through the 846's.  

But one problem is consistent between the two.  The way the cables wrap around my ears.  Man, I cannot get those things to mold the way I want them to.  It's like I'm going to have to buy an mmcx cable just to avoid them.  Do people just remove the guides?

I removed them, and it was such a relief!

May 16, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #15,345 of 22,942
Do people just remove the guides?

I've cut the memory wire out of almost every cable I've ever owned. (I still haven't been brave enough to cut it out of my KSE1500's cable, but that day is approaching...).

In my experience, if the cable is soft enough, it will just flop behind your ear anyway. Stiffened wire isn't needed to make it stay there and without the wire, it's more comfortable and you'll get less microphonics.

P.S. Congrats on your SE846 purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back