Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #15,077 of 22,942
Thanks everybody for clearing by head, the decision to go for a product without actually hearing it is quite hard. Really appreciate the comments..

You can get se846 and also a upgrade cyro occ silver cable to reduce the base. I am ordering one from norne audio. Hopefully it sounds what i want .

I can't speak for norne cables but that's not what occ silver cable does, if you want less bass there are two options. One eq it down and two try white filter.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #15,078 of 22,942
Guys I am stuck in darkness plz help me out, thing is it's been 2 years since I got senn ie80 and use it on daily basis for commuting, from the very first since a purchased this I felt it's a little bass heavy especially in the mid range which is sometimes fatiguing for long music listening since I mostly listen to EDM, now since I have the money I am thinking of buying the se 846 or 535 Ltd edition but I am haunted by the fact that subwoofer present in 846 will interfere with the mids, so I am also thinking about less bassy 535 ltds, plz help me out on which should I buy, Also ie80 sound signature is fun and I haven't heard any Shure iem's till date, so plz help me out, I have ruled out the ie800 because of undetachable cables and microphonics.

It is hard to explain really, bass does not interfere with mids, but it also doesn't let them in front, like 535 does. 
On 535 once mids come into play bass would lower itself (not just in terms of volume but in terms of visual image in the mind) and mids would be clearly in front, and in the center of the picture visually. Here bass is in the center visually, and mids are somewhere above, in a, for me, unnatural way. 

535 for me is like listening to music on a big festival PA with line array, mids are flying all over your head, while bass is there as a foundation, and highs are not shrilling your ears. 846 doesent give me that feeling. To be fair no other headphone or IEM gave me that feeling. (I have or had - 215, 425, Rockit R-50, HE400, IE8) It is hard to explain to people who never heard that. I dont want to listen to repetitive bass, or repetitive highs, i dont need treble extension, for me it is all about mids, and for that purpose i dont see any other solution other than 535. 

I managed to EQ 846 and get sound similar to 535, but then highs become the problem to some extent. 
That roll of that everybody hates on 535, sounds pretty natural to me, i had most joy listening to 535 because you could turn it up so much, without being too bright and without bass thumping all the time. Maybe it is not the most accurate presentation, but it was most enjoyable for me. 

846 gave me headache couple of times, and my ears got sensitive to highs after listening to 846 for the sole reason of trying to turn it up so i can get to the mids. Just unpleasend feeling of saturation in my ears ...
I am still listening to them trying to find the way around this, hoping that im going to like them like everybody else, but i also am planing to get 535 and have a good listen again, and then decide which one i will keep, because i don't see any other way out of this. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #15,079 of 22,942
Too much bass can sometimes give headaches, I have experienced the same with ie80s, so I was thinking about the 535s to give them a try, thinking of getting the ltd version. Heard that 535s are excellent with vocals but don't know about edm genre on how those will sound. Also ltd vers has volume control which would be an added bonus.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #15,080 of 22,942
@ PerfectCircle - Thanks for the opinion, ie80 is quite fatiguing at times I don't want the 846 to be the same, it's no use spending so much and unable to use it at all, I will most likely be getting the 535 ltds for now and may be 846 in the future.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #15,081 of 22,942
I'm thinking of upgrading to the 846 since its sound signature seem to align more with the type of music I listen to (95% EDM). I'm concerned about the fit though, since my current UM50 Pro's are by far the most comfortable UIEM I've tried. Sound aside, from those who owned both, how does the fitting compare? I find the angle of the earpiece tip to be very important to the fitting, as well as the overall size of the IEM. Even Westone 3 gave me a terrible fitting due to that.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #15,083 of 22,942
If you could use one word to describe the se-846 bass, what would it be?

I thought of this because I was comparing the se846 and the angie and there were a couple of things that stood out to me. angie had more mid bass, less subbass, more texture and almost an "airy" quality, while still being full sounding but less rumble-y.

The se-846 was more weighty due to sub bass, still very tight and textured, but in a different way. SE-846 is more dense and less "airy"... so still textured but in a different way than the angie.

Due to these impressions... THUMPY would be my word to describe se-846 bass. THUD crossed my mind, but implies sloppiness and one-note bass, but SE846 is tight, controlled, textured, and DENSE.

Angie, due to the above impressions, would be LAYERED due to the airy and textured quality.

its hard to describe, different words mean different things to people, but that's a though I had during comparisons.

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #15,084 of 22,942
I can't speak for norne cables but that's not what occ silver cable does, if you want less bass there are two options. One eq it down and two try white filter.[/quote
I am using the white filter but the bass still quiet heavy for me . If you use eq in your music , you will totally change the music. The best neutral way for me is to use silver cable.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #15,085 of 22,942
I can't speak for norne cables but that's not what occ silver cable does, if you want less bass there are two options. One eq it down and two try white filter.

X2

Niether of my silver cables reduce bass whatsoever. I'm not good at explainations...but if anything, a "good" silver cable presents it more prominantly. Faster(?) Punchier(?) I can't say. Too many variables ie: source, player, filter, cable, DAC/AMP...etc. It's difficult if not impossible to acuratly predict what you'll hear until you hear it for yourself. Even then, it may take time to identify what you're hearing.
I know less than half of nothing...so, I have no answers for anybody. I know I'm "currently" happy with my present combination and that's about it.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #15,086 of 22,942
X2

Niether of my silver cables reduce bass whatsoever. I'm not good at explainations...but if anything, a "good" silver cable presents it more prominantly. Faster(?) Punchier(?) I can't say. Too many variables ie: source, player, filter, cable, DAC/AMP...etc. It's difficult if not impossible to acuratly predict what you'll hear until you hear it for yourself. Even then, it may take time to identify what you're hearing.
I know less than half of nothing...so, I have no answers for anybody. I know I'm "currently" happy with my present combination and that's about it.

May i know what is your current combanation?

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #15,087 of 22,942
If you could use one word to describe the se-846 bass, what would it be?

I thought of this because I was comparing the se846 and the angie and there were a couple of things that stood out to me. angie had more mid bass, less subbass, more texture and almost an "airy" quality, while still being full sounding but less rumble-y.

The se-846 was more weighty due to sub bass, still very tight and textured, but in a different way. SE-846 is more dense and less "airy"... so still textured but in a different way than the angie.

Due to these impressions... THUMPY would be my word to describe se-846 bass. THUD crossed my mind, but implies sloppiness and one-note bass, but SE846 is tight, controlled, textured, and DENSE.

Angie, due to the above impressions, would be LAYERED due to the airy and textured quality.

its hard to describe, different words mean different things to people, but that's a though I had during comparisons.

I've recently had a few IEMs that are nearly two and three times more expensive than the 846 (namely the Roxanne II and the KSE1500). Both of these earphones have praise worthy qualities.  I can understand why they might be considered "upgrades". However,  when I considered whether to keep them or continue with the 846, I chose the 846 because of the combo of Poweramp and V4A. So, if I had to use one word that describes the bass that word would be PREFERABLE.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #15,088 of 22,942
I'm thinking of upgrading to the 846 since its sound signature seem to align more with the type of music I listen to (95% EDM). I'm concerned about the fit though, since my current UM50 Pro's are by far the most comfortable UIEM I've tried. Sound aside, from those who owned both, how does the fitting compare? I find the angle of the earpiece tip to be very important to the fitting, as well as the overall size of the IEM. Even Westone 3 gave me a terrible fitting due to that

Don't have the UM50, but between the W60 and the 846, the W60 is much more comfortable, to the point I can sleep with them; not so with the 846.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #15,089 of 22,942
I've recently had a few IEMs that are nearly two and three times more expensive than the 846 (namely the Roxanne II and the KSE1500). Both of these earphones have praise worthy qualities.  I can understand why they might be considered "upgrades". However,  when I considered whether to keep them or continue with the 846, I chose the 846 because of the combo of Poweramp and V4A. So, if I had to use one word that describes the bass that word would be PREFERABLE.

I recently had an opportunity to audition the KSE1500 and I really liked what I heard. They definitely are an upgrade to the 846 in every way EXCEPT the bass.

Of all my gear, there is only one headphone whose bass I prefer over the SE846 and that honor goes to the Audeze LCD-X. The 846 bass truly is amazing.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #15,090 of 22,942
Weston's w models are by far the most comfortable over ear iems I've used.

Something about the angle of Shure iems nozzle doesn't work as well for my ears. Almost as if they want to pop out because the angle of the nozzle is too open or large, a smaller angle (or closer to 90•) like the west one models work better for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back