Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #14,702 of 22,899
In the end, you are comparing it to a low end DAC + amp which the O2 + DAC is.

I hear a major difference between my high end chain and my smartphone.

This is also the reason why I tell everybody to just use your smartphone rather than a low-end DAC + amp, because I doubt there will be much difference.

To me it seems you just have different agenda telling crap like night and day difference. Wouldn't be surprised even if you gained something from the sale or you are ignorant, because you regret spending so much on snakeoil items, when you clearly don't need high end amp/dac and you keep telling yourself that it's a night and day difference.

I'll be happy with my phleb V10 and 02, while you will be happy with your snakeoil items which make a marginal difference when you clearly don't need all the juice and decent DAC is fine.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #14,704 of 22,899
  Just FTR i don't deem the Mojo as snake oil. It's just that iDevices hpo is not slouch in the slighest (for iems).

Mojo is not bad if you really need it, but in this case it is not needed and is just extra rock in your pants. Each to their own and I'll shut up for now. It's not up to me to tell people if it's snakeoil or not. I just see it like that, he can see it the way he wants. It's still dumb to look down on other peoples gear, so he just gives me the impression that he just like to have it as status symbol.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #14,705 of 22,899
To me it seems you just have different agenda telling crap like night and day difference. Wouldn't be surprised even if you gained something from the sale or you are ignorant, because you regret spending so much on snakeoil items, when you clearly don't need high end amp/dac and you keep telling yourself that it's a night and day difference.

I'll be happy with my phleb V10 and 02, while you will be happy with your snakeoil items which make a marginal difference when you clearly don't need all the juice and decent DAC is fine.

What? Why would I want to downgrade to something like a O2 + DAC which sounds like a smartphone? I have no agenda, I simply state what I hear.

You better tell all those guys who bought the Chord Dave or Schiit Yggdrasil how silly they are because it's all snake oil, it doesn't sound better than your smartphone or the Chord Hugo.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #14,706 of 22,899
What? Why would I want to downgrade to something like a O2 + DAC which sounds like a smartphone? I have no agenda, I simply state what I hear.

You better tell all those guys who bought the Chord Dave or Schiit Yggdrasil how silly they are because it's all snake oil, it doesn't sound better than your smartphone or the Chord Hugo.

Enjoy your hiss with Chord. Oh yeah the hiss makes it sound night and day difference.

EDIT: No need to reply anymore with your junk. No one wants to read the **** I spout nor your junk. It will just decrease the value of the thread. Thank you. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #14,707 of 22,899
Zankes, I understand where you're coming from, but ubs has a valid point. There are DACs and amps out there that go way beyond current smartphones. There are many folks that would consider the SE846 snakeoil too :wink:

I found the Hugo's hiss disappointing, given its price point. The RF interference with the Mojo is disappointing, even at its lower price point. Somebody mentioned earlier on this thread about zero hiss with smartphones. Isn't that weird?  These lame (?) DACs and amps in virtually all modern smartphones are capable of zero hiss and zero RF interference, despite extreme proximity to a variety of extra electronics and radios. IMHO, that should be a minimum for any external DAC/amp. I know I've mentioned the FiiO X5ii before on this thread, but it's worth mentioning again. Slightly clearer sound than current (2016) smartphones, capable of holding 400 Gb's worth of music and zero hiss (and zero RFI) with the SE846. All for less than $350.

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #14,708 of 22,899
  Zankes, I understand where you're coming from, but ubs has a valid point. There are DACs and amps out there that go way beyond current smartphones. There are many folks that would consider the SE846 snakeoil too :wink:

I found the Hugo's hiss disappointing, given its price point. The RF interference with the Mojo is disappointing, even at its lower price point. Somebody mentioned earlier on this thread about zero hiss with smartphones. Isn't that weird?  These lame (?) DACs and amps in virtually all modern smartphones are capable of zero hiss and zero RF interference, despite extreme proximity to a variety of extra electronics and radios. IMHO, that should be a minimum for any external DAC/amp. I know I've mentioned the FiiO X5ii before on this thread, but it's worth mentioning again. Slightly clearer sound than current (2016) smartphones, capable of holding 400 Gb's worth of music and zero hiss (and zero RFI) with the SE846. All for less than $350.

well i have vamp verza 0 hiss, 6 layer rf protection. but i like  chord hugo better. The vamp is good on size and direct connection to phone, but hugo makes the 846 sing to my ears. No hiss issue, no rf either, as long as one initiates airplane mode :) 

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #14,709 of 22,899

There is a big difference in gain setting between a smartphone and something like a Chord Hugo which can even push a Sennheiser HD 800 S to extreme levels. That is why the Shure SE846 has no hiss with those devices. 

The CHord Hugo has only hiss with super sensitive IEM's like a Shure SE846. But that is easily solved with a high quality dedicated transparent amplifier (which is why I consider the Chord Hugo + Auralic Taurus MKII the best setup for the Shure SE846 that I have heard so far with my ears ). 

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #14,710 of 22,899

...well, why so excited? There are even statements here on Head-Fi claiming things like "there must not be a difference audible between DACs because digital is 1 and 0 and that must always be the same"... and anybody who hears a difference / improvement is called a lunatic then. The same goes for "there must not be an audible difference between cables" with extensive pseudo-physical explanations and the infamous "there is no audible difference between CD and anything above CD format, be it different digital formats, bit- or sampling-rates a.s.o., because CD already reaches the borderline of human hearing"...

Well lets be clear, it doesn't even take a super high-end DAC to sound better than an i-phone... with the se846 I can hear a significant difference between my AK100II (single ended output, balanced still to be tested with the 846) and my iPhone 6s... it is about the flow of music, lower grain, more stable sound-stage, coherency of sound and so much more...

...and of course there are also differences in considerably unequal cables and digital formats / resolution audible. Surely not so easy for the un-experienced listener...

And hey, it is common knowledge that the closer you come to "high end" (which is by definition the frontier, respectively the "end" of what is technologically possible at a certain point of time), the higher the efforts to make an even small improvement. And the more expensive this small improvement gets.
So yes, in high end you pay significantly more for significantly smaller improvements... but that doesn't make it snake oil!

So just let him listen to his iPhone... which surely isn't a bad thing, I also can enjoy listen to it... but we also know how to value the better... which is always the enemy of good....

...whereas, your comment that playing around with more simple DACs wouldn't make sense because it couldn't be better than the iPhone is also not totally correct. Especially in this case with the se846 having a rather low impedance. So keep in mind, the iPhone and the se846 are not a perfect match in relation to the damping-factor. So even a relatively simple but decent DAC with a lower output impedance than the iPhone (best below 1Ohm) could eventually have a certain sound advantage...

-Cheers-

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #14,711 of 22,899
I expect some people actually like that extra bass that comes from using their higher-output-impedance smartphones with the 846s :)
Speaking of extra bass, and sorry if this getting slightly off-topic, but I heard these puppies at the SoCal CanJam. They were quite impressive. A definite wow factor for watching movies:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2053327139/kannon-headphones-accurate-bass-you-can-feel

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #14,713 of 22,899
I agree with Zankes. There is a lot of snake oil, starting with cables. My heart goes to this poor souls who have not a lot of money and heed the advise of the placebo minded crowd.
The point is that there should always be a counter opinion, at least a little bit of objectivity, something that has been lost for a long time in the audiophile community. The over the top opinions are all too common around here.
I own the 846, the W60 too and I like them both. A lot. I have an ear as good as any, and an objective mind. If you can afford the toys, go ahead, just be careful not to mislead those who can not afford as much as you do.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #14,715 of 22,899
I sold all other players and dacs and stuck with mojo, there is a hype for a reason, no i**** device is even comparable, you guys fail to even mention bitperfect playback... This thread it's becoming a joke

Mojo is nice but it has a weak sub bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back