Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #14,446 of 22,943
Is the difference between iPhone 6s DAC and the Mojo day and night ?

On first listen the Mojo sounds a great deal better than the iPhone or almost any DAP using an off the shelf DAC chip. However, over time the Mojo really comes into its own. As the designer of all Chord DACs, Rob Watts, constantly stresses his goal is with the transient response. I found I really liked the Mojo right away but as my brain adjusted to the Mojo sonic characteristics my love affair began. Another aspect of the Mojo is how it can transform your iPhone or in my case iPod Touch into a true first rate DAP. The ability to go digital line out from a lightning iDevice transforms your iDevice into a digital storage or streaming device with the Mojo do all the work.

It is the Mojo that led me to retire my beloved 846s after 2 1/2 years and pony up for the KSE1500. The KSE, like all electrostats, emphasize the transient response so it was a natural fit with the Mojo.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #14,447 of 22,943
Is the difference between iPhone 6s DAC and the Mojo day and night ?

On first listen the Mojo sounds a great deal better than the iPhone or almost any DAP using an off the shelf DAC chip. However, over time the Mojo really comes into its own. As the designer of all Chord DACs, Rob Watts, constantly stresses his goal is with the transient response. I found I really liked the Mojo right away but as my brain adjusted to the Mojo sonic characteristics my love affair began. Another aspect of the Mojo is how it can transform your iPhone or in my case iPod Touch into a true first rate DAP. The ability to go digital line out from a lightning iDevice transforms your iDevice into a digital storage or streaming device with the Mojo do all the work.

It is the Mojo that led me to retire my beloved 846s after 2 1/2 years and pony up for the KSE1500. The KSE, like all electrostats, emphasize the transient response so it was a natural fit with the Mojo.

So spook you now bundle your iPod, mojo, kse and like this more than 846? Have you bundled Hugo with kse through iPod as well.? Interested in your thoughts on this versus 846.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #14,449 of 22,943
So spook you now bundle your iPod, mojo, kse and like this more than 846? Have you bundled Hugo with kse through iPod as well.? Interested in your thoughts on this versus 846.

Yes, my current set up is iPod Touch digital line out into the Mojo then analog out from the Mojo into the KSE1500.

As for a comparison with the 846, they really are different animals. The 8s are more impactful while the KSEs are much more immersive. The KSEs are also far less forgiving on poorly recorded albums. As Jude states in his review of the KSE it has a rich neutrality which is certainly not everyone's cup of tea while the bass and mids on the 8s are stellar. The KSE is also source dependant, the built in DAC is very good but once you compare it to a Chord DAC and its emphasis on transients the synergy is euphoric. I have not listened to the Hugo with the KSE but my good friend Mcoupe has and like the Mojo the synergy is great. If you like what Chord strives to accomplish with their DACs I believe you will love the KSE1500.

The SE846 and the KSE1500 are to me are both great for what they each seek to achieve and no one owning the 846 should feel I am in anyway diminishing the great 8s. The KSE is a more mature and polite sound and for me the best IEM I have ever heard but the 846 remains superb.

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #14,450 of 22,943
Only hiss I could hear so far seems to be recording hiss. Some of my tracks (particularly classical tracks) does not have hiss that I can notice.

I haven't had much time to listen to it yet though (just got it a few hours ago) so I'll keep a look out for hiss when I get more time with it.

OK, playing around with a blank recording, I can confirm the presence of hiss on the DX80.  There is also a slight popping sound whenever you pause/play.  It's a bit of a downer, but the hiss isn't that apparent for many of my tracks so I'm not that bummed about it.  

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #14,451 of 22,943
Looking for a comfortable cable that retains the sound quality of the stock ones. The latter are annoying and I can't really stand them. Any suggestions for reasonably priced cables ? By reasonably priced I mean ~$150 max. Thanks !

PS: a mod to improve the comfort of the stock cables is also welcome.

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #14,452 of 22,943
I have a question for folks who tried the 8s out of iPhone 6 and Mojo: is the difference in sound quality between them day and night ?
I'm trying to make a decision to buy the Mojo and your help is highly appreciated !

Thanks

If you value musicality, YES!

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #14,454 of 22,943
Well, I value quality that's for sure. Besides, the output of the MacBook Pro retina is not pleasing at all, so would also use it as a desktop solution.
But I don't wanna be disappointed by no improvement.

Only you can decide if the improvement is in your head!

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #14,456 of 22,943
Careful with your nozzles boys and girls. Pick something after testing and give it some ear time.

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #14,457 of 22,943

Yes, my current set up is iPod Touch digital line out into the Mojo then analog out from the Mojo into the KSE1500.

As for a comparison with the 846, they really are different animals. The 8s are more impactful while the KSEs are much more immersive. The KSEs are also far less forgiving on poorly recorded albums. As Jude states in his review of the KSE it has a rich neutrality which is certainly not everyone's cup of tea while the bass and mids on the 8s are stellar. The KSE is also source dependant, the built in DAC is very good but once you compare it to a Chord DAC and its emphasis on transients the synergy is euphoric. I have not listened to the Hugo with the KSE but my good friend Mcoupe has and like the Mojo the synergy is great. If you like what Chord strives to accomplish with their DACs I believe you will love the KSE1500.

The SE846 and the KSE1500 are to me are both great for what they each seek to achieve and no one owning the 846 should feel I am in anyway diminishing the great 8s. The KSE is a more mature and polite sound and for me the best IEM I have ever heard but the 846 remains superb.

Thanks for that. Jeez. Well as you may know had an itch to get something but just sticking with 846, its just too good for me. 2 years and maybe if something fails one year it will be something to consider, but phone, hugo, kse, is a lot to lug around.
How do you digital line from iPod to mojo, the cck from my phone to micro usb on the hugo bugs me. fickle connection.

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #14,458 of 22,943
Personally I love the Reference Silver Litz from Ted at Headphone Lounge. You can find him on the board, or simply Google Headphone Lounge. You can't find anything close for the price.

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #14,459 of 22,943
Question where can one get those black O-ring like seal where the SS threaded collar and the nozzle Interface make contact? Mine is almost gone probably cause of constant change of nozzle insert.

They're not user serviceable. The driver body needs to be sent into Shure.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #14,460 of 22,943
  They're not user serviceable. The driver body needs to be sent into Shure.

I don't understand you comment? The rubber washer is not a critical part. I lost one a long time ago and it never mattered as long as the threaded collar screws down tight. It is just a simple removable rubber washer and it can be bought from Shure parts or gotten at your local hardware store. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back