Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #12,241 of 22,943
  Has anyone tried the Geek Out IEM 100 with these?  It seems to be intended for use with highly sensitive IEMs, but I'm having a hard time finding many opinions about that particular model (and especially the noise floor).

I have both the Geek Out IEM 100 and the SE846.  I do need to adjust the settings for the IEM 100 and the volume control on my JRiver Media Center 19 is very sensitive (small changes result in big volume changes).  Not to the point of a tiny bump resulting in deafening volumes.  Also, no channel imbalances with the IEM 100 to my experience.  The pairing sounds good to my ears.  To be truthful, I prefer the SE846 in balanced mode with my Pono to the IEM 100.  The sound is more robust and fuller with the Pono.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #12,242 of 22,943
today i had a chance to compare the stock cable to the fiio cable for shure, and boy i can literally say that cable sucks so so so so so so much, that i now realize that cables make a definite sound change. 

the fiio cable made the sound lower in volume, smaller soundstage, and a bit harsher, it is literally so so so so bad

now this however on the bright side made me realize that cables do really matter, so can anyone recommend a cable that adds better bass tightness, and make the sound have a bigger sound stage, and still keep the roll of the highs, as i do not want a cable that will add any sharpness or harshness to the sound

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #12,243 of 22,943
I think that just about everybody will be happy to recommend whatever cable they've purchased and are using. However, all things being equal, not all things are equal, because there are several variables that will ultimately affect what you hear. Source material, type of file, player, amp or not, which filters are you using in you 8's, stock filter or modded filter, type of tips you're using, ambient sound in the room while listening...etc.
That being said, I love my Reference Silver Litz from Ted at HL. 
smile.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #12,244 of 22,943
  I think that just about everybody will be happy to recommend whatever cable they've purchased and are using. However, all things being equal, not all things are equal, because there are several variables that will ultimately affect what you hear. Source material, type of file, player, amp or not, which filters are you using in you 8's, stock filter or modded filter, type of tips you're using, ambient sound in the room while listening...etc.
That being said, I love my Reference Silver Litz from Ted at HL. 
smile.gif

i will avoid any silver cables as i am under impressions it can have an effect on mids and highs

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #12,246 of 22,943
Jul 31, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #12,247 of 22,943

Yes,if you like warm,lush mids go for copper.

any good recommendations for good value for the money

Honestly the stock ones which are nickel-plated copper  are more than sufficient  and providing a balanced sound.I have  demoed a couple  of $120 copper but did not find  very big differences apart from looks but the problem were the connectors with sound cutting of.I have also a silver dream cable from se535 which costs $290 and i found that although it added treble sparkle it messed with the lush mids which were my preference.

Maybe guys who have $400-$500 copper cables can advise you but don't expect $100 copper  cables to give you anything more than looks and again watch out for those connectors to be specifically made for se846.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #12,249 of 22,943

Yes,if you like warm,lush mids go for copper.

any good recommendations for good value for the money

I have a set of copper wire Exo cables from plusSound for my Shure SE846 that I really like that cost me about $150.  I got them with Pono balanced terminals.  The cables are attractive, very well made, and the Shure connectors fit tightly.  Many options to customize the cables to your liking.  See http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/inearmonitor.html  Cheers!

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #12,251 of 22,943
Jul 31, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #12,252 of 22,943
The thing is that the connectors should be specifically made for se846 and not the whole shure line or other companies as most cables on the site suggest otherwise he might run into problems with loose connection and sound cutting off.

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #12,253 of 22,943
The thing is that the connectors should be specifically made for se846 and not the whole shure line or other companies as most cables on the site suggest otherwise he might run into problems with loose connection and sound cutting off.

I could not agree more. Not to appear as a shill but Ted Allen at headphonelounge was so concerned about matching the specific MMCX connector to the SE846 he asked for and I sent him one of my two stock cables for the SE846. Ted is a craftsman who really is concerned his customer is happy and satisfied not simply in making a sale.

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #12,254 of 22,943

That's a great thread, thanks for posting the link.

Too bad the OP of that particular thread did not post any of Ted Allen's Cables (chris_himself cables do not count, in my opinion).

Ted Allen's website: Headphonelounge.com

I found that link while trying to find a way to console myself for using an inadequate silver litz cable...lol

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #12,255 of 22,943
Hey guys if i reshelled my SE846, will the bass sound change? cause as far as i know the bass act like a mini sub woofer due design of the IEM, yet if i did reshell i will lose the ability to use the tubes, etc.

how will/does the CIEM version of the SE846 sound like? Treble and Bass wise, assuming the mids will stay Shure like. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back