Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #5,793 of 22,942
I believe I read it earlier, but how do they compare comfort-wise?  Would a person who has smaller ear canals/ears be able to wear the Ref. 1 and be comfortable (and have optimal isolation) at the same time?

The 8s fit me much better. They isolate better and fittings securely. The Ref1 I have to play with to get it to sit right.

No universals can POSSIBLY be bigger than the Roxannes! 

I'd imagine the Roxannes are bigger, they look huge.

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #5,795 of 22,942

Well the Roxannes aren't universals soooo...

EDIT: wait are there universal roxannes?? I can't seem to find any real info on that.

Yes there are.  I even demoed them.  As warrior said, they come in universal and custom.  These are the universal Roxannes (AK version) that I demoed:

The 8s fit me much better. They isolate better and fittings securely. The Ref1 I have to play with to get it to sit right.
I'd imagine the Roxannes are bigger, they look huge.

Ah okay, thanks.  As for sizes, the Roxannes are large and I'm not so sure about in charge, but your Ref. 1 looks humongous! 

There are few online vendors that sell them in universal. Weird how JH-audio don't have them though. 
http://www.aloaudio.com/roxanne

I'm pretty sure you can order the universal version if you call JH Audio.

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #5,796 of 22,942
Man. If I didn't have molds incoming for the 8's I'd be heavily tempted to get them replaced and then check out the universal Roxannes...

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #5,797 of 22,942
  Man. If I didn't have molds incoming for the 8's I'd be heavily tempted to get them replaced and then check out the universal Roxannes...

What type of sound signature are you going for?  I thought the Roxannes sound signature was, in my opinion, unique, to say the least.  I think it is more of a love it or dislike it a lot kind of sound it emits.  The bass when turned up is...overly bloated as well, in my opinion.  I think the JH Audio 13 Pro was the one that had everything going for it (except for low, rumbling bass) and the JH Audio 16 Pro had everything but had a little more bass, but with a slight hit to the mids and highs (compared to the JH Audio 13 Pro).  I think the UE18 Pro sounded the most like the SE846, and the JH Audio 16 Pro was on par or maybe had slightly more resolving sound than the SE846 (tough to even distinguish when directly A/Bing to the SE846).  The bass of the SE846 in my opinion still trumps all of them, with the Roxannes being right up there because of the +10db change you can make on their cable.  However, I feel that (car audio terms) the SPL may increase, but the SQ does not.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #5,798 of 22,942

What type of sound signature are you going for?  I thought the Roxannes sound signature was, in my opinion, unique, to say the least.  I think it is more of a love it or dislike it a lot kind of sound it emits.  The bass when turned up is...overly bloated as well, in my opinion.  I think the JH Audio 13 Pro was the one that had everything going for it (except for low, rumbling bass) and the JH Audio 16 Pro had everything but had a little more bass, but with a slight hit to the mids and highs (compared to the JH Audio 13 Pro).  I think the UE18 Pro sounded the most like the SE846, and the JH Audio 16 Pro was on par or maybe had slightly more resolving sound than the SE846 (tough to even distinguish when directly A/Bing to the SE846).  The bass of the SE846 in my opinion still trumps all of them, with the Roxannes being right up there because of the +10db change you can make on their cable.  However, I feel that (car audio terms) the SPL my increase, but the SQ does not.

I heard the Roxanne bass can be tune less 

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #5,799 of 22,942
I heard the Roxanne bass can be tune less 

Yes, it can be tuned less. When it is, the bass is pretty flat and uninspiring, in my opinion.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #5,800 of 22,942
Yes, it can be tuned less. When it is, the bass is pretty flat and uninspiring, in my opinion.

Oh my.......but I really haven't heard of the Roxannes yet, some people around me prefer it than the 846, I guess is up to individual to choose what they really like.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #5,801 of 22,942
Oh my.......but I really haven't heard of the Roxannes yet, some people around me prefer it than the 846, I guess is up to individual to choose what they really like.

Definitely up to the individual to choose what they like. Even though I particularly didn't like the Roxanne (both AK and regular universal versions) does not mean that if somebody else tried it, they automatically wouldn't like it. Try it out if you can, you may absolutely love it. Will it complement the SE846? If you want a different sound signature, most definitely! I just feel in my opinion there are better options.

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #5,802 of 22,942
I've got both, 846 and Rox. Different sound signatures for sure. Rox is very forward but also has a wider soundstage. Seems to wrap around the whole head. The 846 wraps around half the head in comparison. Fit is actually ok with the huge Rox, but the 846 shell fits better in the ear overall. I can't say one is better ATM even though I've owned the 846 since Feb. I still find iems very intriguing and unique, more so than full-sized headphones. If you are an 846 owner it could be worth trying out the roxanne.

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #5,803 of 22,942
I've got both, 846 and Rox. Different sound signatures for sure. Rox is very forward but also has a wider soundstage. Seems to wrap around the whole head. The 846 wraps around half the head in comparison. Fit is actually ok with the huge Rox, but the 846 shell fits better in the ear overall. I can't say one is better ATM even though I've owned the 846 since Feb. I still find iems very intriguing and unique, more so than full-sized headphones. If you are an 846 owner it could be worth trying out the roxanne.

Do you own the universal Roxanne or CIEM version? If you have the CIEM version and tried the universal version, did you notice any noticeable differences sonically between the two? Since I use the SCS for the SE846, it may be a little unfair when demoing universals of any type.

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #5,805 of 22,942

While I wait for my 8's to get fixed I'm actually thinking I'll check out the Aurisonics aSG-2.5 since I can get a pair nearby. Roxannes I'd love to get my hands on, but dang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back