Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #14,716 of 22,942

I agree with Zankes. There is a lot of snake oil, starting with cables. My heart goes to this poor souls who have not a lot of money and heed the advise of the placebo minded crowd.
The point is that there should always be a counter opinion, at least a little bit of objectivity, something that has been lost for a long time in the audiophile community. The over the top opinions are all too common around here.
I own the 846, the W60 too and I like them both. A lot. I have an ear as good as any, and an objective mind. If you can afford the toys, go ahead, just be careful not to mislead those who can not afford as much as you do.

I'm not misleading anyone? I'm simply stating that anything above a smartphone or O2 + DAC is not snake oil.

Professional studios are spending over $9000 on DAC's alone from Weiss / Prism / Lavry for example. So I wouldn't throw this on the audiophile community with their supposedly placebo effect but maybe because high-end DAC's are simply really good.

With my ears I hear it too.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #14,717 of 22,942

I'm not misleading anyone? I'm simply stating that anything above a smartphone or O2 + DAC is not snake oil.

Professional studios are spending over $9000 on DAC's alone from Weiss / Prism / Lavry for example. If it was snake oil, they would have stuck with their smartphone or a cheap DAC. Most audiophiles don't even spend as much like professional studio's do, so I wouldn't throw this on the audiophile community but maybe because high-end DAC's are simply really good. 

The requirements of a mastering studio where they have to process the sound are vastly different than those for feeding balanced armatures iems which require 0.1v to go loud.

The most aggravating thing an iPhone 6 do to the SE846 sound is a 2.1 db bump in the subbass (due to its 2.3 Zout). Given the human ear sensivity in the DC region that non linearity is barely audible. Everything else (noise, THD, IMD) is really 1st class on iPhone 6. At normal listening levels the iPhone 6 is a terrific performer on its own.

Just for the sake of doing it if you could get a hold of someone that could give you a proper blind test between Mojo and iPhone 6 hpo...the outcome might be interesting.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #14,718 of 22,942
The requirements of a mastering studio where they have to process the sound are vastly different than those for feeding balanced armatures iems which require 0.1v to go loud.

The most aggravating thing an iPhone 6 do to the SE846 sound is a 2.1 db bump in the subbass (due to its 2.3 Zout). Given the human ear sensivity in the DC region that non linearity is barely audible. Everything else (noise, THD, IMD) is really 1st class on iPhone 6. At normal listening levels the iPhone 6 is a terrific performer on its own.

Just for the sake of doing it if you could get a hold of someone that could give you a proper blind test between Mojo and iPhone 6 hpo...the outcome might be interesting.

Sure, I'm going to see if I can setup a blind test. But I'll pass it easily though since the Shure SE846 is that much better on the Chors Hugo + Auralic Taurus MKII setup in comparison to my iPhone 6S plus, iPhone 5S and iPad Air 2..

Honestly, I can even tell the difference between my iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6S plus in a blind test probably which is a much smaller difference.

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #14,719 of 22,942
Prior to being given some sobering blind tests i used to think that i could tell many things from others...the first day that my wife set up the tent for me...i walked away humbled, ashamed and laughing hard at myself.

Unless differences are gross (as comparing a hissy Sony player with an iPhone) the differences are hard to pick when you don't see what device is playing the music.

I hope that you do better! And in any event i'm sure you'll have a lot of fun. Blind tests are really funny. Most tricky thing is matching volumes by ear which is really hard that's why i use as well and accurate SPL meter (SPLnFFT) deemed as accurate by the Acoustic Asociation of America along with another couple of iOS apps.

P.S. - FTR my last hearing tests (from 2014) turned out fine as i have not lost any hearing and i'm no strange to mastering rooms so i know what to look for. It's just that blindfolded day and night tend to blend together.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #14,720 of 22,942
Sure, I'm going to see if I can setup a blind test. But I'll pass it easily though since the Shure SE846 is that much better on the Chors Hugo + Auralic Taurus MKII setup in comparison to my iPhone 6S plus, iPhone 5S and iPad Air 2..

Honestly, I can even tell the difference between my iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6S plus in a blind test probably which is a much smaller difference.

Sure, you might find a difference, but I doubt that you will be pleased by the performance of the Mojo relative to the iPhone.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #14,721 of 22,942
I'm finding the 8s to be not as pleasing with classical music. There seems to be some kind of resonance or sizzle that becomes annoying.

Setup: iPhone 6 Plus > 846, Shure olives, stock blue filters, stock cable and Tidal.

Any similar experiences ? Thanks

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #14,722 of 22,942
Hello!
I am using the 846 + headlounge cables + black filters with wax guard removal +  Shure medium olives + Fiio X7 ( now waiting the new X7 balanced amp module).
Removing the wax guard I have found a upgrade in the sound (also I have tried with the blue filters but with the wax guard removal I found the black filters just right!).
Filer mod ? its worth? if so with my setup what will be the upgrade? 
Any other mod with my setup to even improve more the sound?
Will The mojo give a real improvement with my X7?
Thank you in advance

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #14,723 of 22,942
I'm finding the 8s to be not as pleasing with classical music. There seems to be some kind of resonance or sizzle that becomes annoying.

Setup: iPhone 6 Plus > 846, Shure olives, stock blue filters, stock cable and Tidal.

Any similar experiences ? Thanks

Not getting that on mine.  I'm listening from a DX80/90 > Spinfit Tips/Westone Star > Modded Blue Filters

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #14,724 of 22,942
Sure, you might find a difference, but I doubt that you will be pleased by the performance of the Mojo relative to the iPhone.

Well, there is a reason why I don't use the Mojo as DAC (and certainly not the iPhone 6S as DAC also which I have tried by the way). 

The performance difference is definitely smaller according to my ears, but I paid only $500 for it which explains it.  

But I'm going to do a blind test one of these days.

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #14,725 of 22,942
I was gonna pull the trigger on the shure 525 then decided to wait a bit for reviews as I can't try every headphone cited on the forums. I have a galaxy s7 edge with a cirrus (ex Wolfson dac ) and I need good IEM for house /jazz/deep house/hip hop. I bought an oppo ha-2 just in case. Any IEM for under $300 that fits my usage? Considered rah ma750i

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #14,726 of 22,942
I was gonna pull the trigger on the shure 525 then decided to wait a bit for reviews as I can't try every headphone cited on the forums. I have a galaxy s7 edge with a cirrus (ex Wolfson dac ) and I need good IEM for house /jazz/deep house/hip hop. I bought an oppo ha-2 just in case. Any IEM for under $300 that fits my usage? Considered rah ma750i

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KENWOOD-In-Ear-Headphones-HA-FX850/dp/B00I4KPBF2

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #14,728 of 22,942

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KENWOOD-In-Ear-Headphones-HA-FX850/dp/B00I4KPBF2

Thanks. Didn't know JVC were good at IEM.im looking at fidue 83 as well

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #14,729 of 22,942

Thanks. If I would to choose one DAP, which one of the following should I go for for the best synergy with 8s : DX90, Fiio X5ii, or AK100ii ?  

I'd add the QP1R to the list, and bypass ever wanting an off board amp at the same time.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back