Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #20,208 of 22,943
Will do. The Xelentos are a couple of weeks out, I dont expect to have until the end of July. I'm making the jump from the SE535s which sounded pretty good with Knowles White filters ..... I'll keep you posted. Also ordered the Tin HiFi P1 which should be here tomorrow or Friday. For $160 I took a flyer on them.

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #20,209 of 22,943
I would be interested in your impressions comparing the SE846 with the Andromeda.
Overall impression (clarity, soundstage, mids, highs) and also especially the bass reproduction (sub-bass, tightness, amount) i'm interested in.

I listened to the Andromeda last night - way more than I should have - and I'm listening now. They are truly outstanding. Pretty linear (perceived) FR, maybe very slightly U shaped. At first listen, they didn't WOW me like the 846 did. But after a short while I was entranced. I noticed the "holographic" soundstage people have talked about. The bass hits surprisingly hard and precise - not exaggerated. I would just call them extremely CLEAN.

I really can't compare them with the 846 -- they're different animals, but they certainly complement each other well. Both deserve a place in my collection. I would call the Andromeda the clarity monster - fantastic with brass, drums, cymbals, sparkly things. The 846 is my mellow monster - special mids, and that trademark bass.

At this moment, the Andromedas are my favorite because they're a new toy. After the honeymoon period is over, we'll see. This is all a very personal subjective thing. It's like asking someone to tell you what car to buy. I can't see ever tiring of the 846.

I think I'm going to order the Xelento this morning as well -- quickly, before my sanity returns.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #20,210 of 22,943
I think I'm going to order the Xelento this morning as well -- quickly, before my sanity returns.
Or maybe consider the Atlas instead...

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #20,211 of 22,943
I listened to the Andromeda last night - way more than I should have - and I'm listening now. They are truly outstanding. Pretty linear (perceived) FR, maybe very slightly U shaped. At first listen, they didn't WOW me like the 846 did. But after a short while I was entranced. I noticed the "holographic" soundstage people have talked about. The bass hits surprisingly hard and precise - not exaggerated. I would just call them extremely CLEAN.

I really can't compare them with the 846 -- they're different animals, but they certainly complement each other well. Both deserve a place in my collection. I would call the Andromeda the clarity monster - fantastic with brass, drums, cymbals, sparkly things. The 846 is my mellow monster - special mids, and that trademark bass.

At this moment, the Andromedas are my favorite because they're a new toy. After the honeymoon period is over, we'll see. This is all a very personal subjective thing. It's like asking someone to tell you what car to buy. I can't see ever tiring of the 846.

You have my Favs 3 IEM, WOW let me know about the Xelento, can you please tell me what is your audio source ??

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #20,212 of 22,943
You have my Favs 3 IEM, WOW let me know about the Xelento, can you please tell me what is your audio source ??

I've used several ... Grace m920, Chord Mojo, iFi iDSD Black Label. I also use the Massdrop Liquid Carbon Amp for my full size headphones, but not for my IEMs.

EDIT: Oh, also Radsone ES100 to get bluetooth LDAC codec from my galaxy phone, but I haven't tried the Andromeda from this source yet.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #20,213 of 22,943
I just received the SE846 and the right earbud has that rattling sounds like 2 mechanical parts hitting together and generated some noises. Is this happening to anyone? Surprised this passed quality control for this expensive product

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #20,214 of 22,943
I just received the SE846 and the right earbud has that rattling sounds like 2 mechanical parts hitting together and generated some noises. Is this happening to anyone? Surprised this passed quality control for this expensive product
I've not heard of that problem before. Is the mmcx connector seated properly? Is the nozzle screwed in tight?

Jul 11, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #20,216 of 22,943
Yes I checked everything. The left earbud is fine. The problem is with the right earbud. I even cleaned the nozzle but still didn’t fix the issue.
Are you talking about a sound that’s only occurring when you’re playing audio through them or a sound that they’re making when moving them around and not necessarily listening to them?

Jul 12, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #20,217 of 22,943
Yes I checked everything. The left earbud is fine. The problem is with the right earbud. I even cleaned the nozzle but still didn’t fix the issue.

I suppose its not impossible that you may have received a faulty item, but are you sure its the genuine item and not a fake? There are lots of fakes out there.

Jul 12, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #20,218 of 22,943
@holsen - I just got the Xelentos in. You're going to be a happy camper. These DID wow me at first listen. I've just been listening for half an hour or so. I'm going to take the weekend to compare these with the Andromeda and SE846. But really, I can't see anyone being unhappy with any of these.

Jul 12, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #20,219 of 22,943
Great to hear it @BobJS ! I think mine will be delivered on Monday. Cant wait. In the meantime I got the Tin HiFi P1s earlier in the week and they too have blown me away. These little gems at $160 punch way above their weight.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #20,220 of 22,943
I suppose its not impossible that you may have received a faulty item, but are you sure its the genuine item and not a fake? There are lots of fakes out there.
I actually returned the earphones and they sent me a new order. I ordered this through my company Apple because Shure is our third party vendors so I believed the item is genuine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back