1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread

1. Justin_Time

Agreed!

2. Staysurreal444
    My Apple earpods have more bass than my se846.
    ...is this normal?

3. tbritton
    No. Emphatically no.

Please check that you have a thorough seal with the 848's well seated inside your ear, with no air escaping. Otherwise the bass system will not work.

Terry

phthora likes this.
  4. FactoryStock
    Yes, this is normal, they are bass boosted. Since they own Beats, it should not be a cause for alarm. Although if they want to be taken seriously, I would rather they burn it to the ground and partner up with the likes of RHA or Sennheiser.

AKG is already taken, so there's that...

5. tbritton
    Heh... well, there is THAT also! :)

Terry

6. Stranger Than Fiction
    Perhaps, but it’s probably boomy and distorted as hell. Or it’s a case of what Terry said.

The Shure SE846s and Campfire Audio Cegas have in their own right class leading bass which should have you picking up your jaw from about parallel as far low as they go.

FactoryStock likes this.
  7. FactoryStock
    Had me at parallel jaw there, man...

8. Staysurreal444
    I've been using them for about 3 months now with the large foam eartips, and I always ensure a perfect seal. Given the seemingly universal praise the bass quality of these IEMs seems to garner, I was immediately underwhelmed upon first hearing them, and remain so today. Is there a chance I've gotten a defective pair?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  9. tbritton
    There is that possibility. Also, we recently had a several page discussion of counterfeit incidences and observations that some of these counterfeits are seemingly actually sounding not-so-bad, but by buying those one is still supporting a criminal activity.

If you aren't hearing rather stunning sub-bass from your 846's and have been accomplishing a great seal with the tips you have been using, then I would definitely send them off to Shure for examination. Something is wrong here. Try other tips, perhaps? Maybe the large foams are "folding" upon insertion, breaking the seal? Try some mediums, perhaps.

Terry

10. fritz1234
    The SE846 is neutral, so bass heads may be disappointed. Many headphones jack up the bass (and the treble). It's a thing with headphones. Manufacturers get inundated with requests to upgrade their models to produce unrealism.

Its hard to tell what's what in this forum. People swear up and down they don't want unrealism, but who knows?

Impossible.

11. Staysurreal444
    Are there any indicators I can look for to help determine whether or not my se846's are counterfeit?

12. SubMash
    Se846 is neutral? LOL

phthora likes this.
  13. koiloco
    this will be your only post that I can say I agree with 100%.

SE846 is NOT neutral. Maybe, he meant "natural":beyersmile:

Under 1k, elevated all the way up to +10db.
    [​IMG]

This is more like a "neutral" bass - Hifiman HE-6
    [​IMG]

14. fritz1234
    When I said neutral i meant totally exaggerated bass and rolled off highs. Just a different way of saying that. Geesh, some people can't see what I really mean :D

15. Staysurreal444
    So in short, if my se846's appear to be lacking in the bass department, then something's wrong?