1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread

1. koiloco
    I tried hard but only you bite. Seriously though, i couldn't tell most of the times cuz I was sleeping with the 846 in my ears...:laughing:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    SteveOliver likes this.
  2. m4rkw
    This will be interesting for sure.

3. endressth
    Wow, they 846 is a total disappointment in my opinion....i measured them with my own rig because i couldnt believe what i was hearing. After 8khz, these roll off dramatically..sorry for all fans, but there are iems out there for 100-200 bucks which have better treble extension. Bass and mids are worth the price but the treble totally ruined the whole presentation. I dont call for Andromeda-like treble, but this is not acceptable ..

4. koiloco
    <$100, according to a member here...U 2 should meet up for tea. Mr. 10 posts n Mr. March 2018.
    :face_palm::face_palm::face_palm:

5. csglinux
    You're correct on all points. Here are three things that will improve the treble extension:

1) Deeper insertion. You can (and should) insert these IEMs fairly deep. Make sure you don't measure a shallow insertion on your coupler.
    2) SpinFit CP800 tips. If you don't have these, at least try some brand of silicone tip - not foam.
    3) Use the Trishd or regular modded blue filter mod. The regular mod just involves removing all acoustic damping foam from the filter tube. The Trishd mod is described here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1209#post-13714040

The effect of these mods is shown here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1266#post-14124387

P.S. Symbio tips boost the +10 kHz region even more, but I find them too uncomfortable to use.

junix and tbritton like this.
  6. fritz1234
    Well I must say, It sure would be nice if all of a sudden you can buy IEMs for $100 that are better than $1k models. Geesh, this would be awesome! :D.

So all you testers, who have discovered this. PLEASE post the models that we can get now. I'm all over that ( I'm not really joking here, anything is possible).
    But I am a bit dubious. I have a few popular ones like the iBasso t01. Its very nice for $100, and problaby one of the best for comfort and value. I also have the Massdrop Pro. Another nice $300 IEM. Both of these aren't as good as the SE846, although very nice. There's fit, isolation, and comfort that have a say in the utility of these also.

But there's fierce competition now, and great values. The Se846 may have problems with certain sources (actually, I know they do), but they are very well made. Again, when the HD600 came out everyone was saying the exact same thing. Some people want bright, others not so much. A fatigue thing. And the graphs?, well, they are useful until they're not in real life.

So lets find the $100 replacement for the Se846 so we can sell ours and be very happy :)

7. m4rkw
    I hope you weren’t also April Fooling us @ZappaMan :p i’m really curious to hear about your A/B test.

8. ZappaMan
    0E1B1B25-D22E-40A6-B449-E7BAC72BA9CC.jpeg 91BAE9A3-D366-4AF1-B30B-4C9DA64A9884.jpeg
    Test in progress - have to say - at first listen - I can’t hear a difference. Whole lotta love - dsd - mojo /poly - dual headphone ports. But need to get an hour to concentrate as also in the middle of a gaming tournament !

9. m4rkw
    Very interesting. What about one of each in each ear?

10. m4rkw
    I guess it’s possible Shure misled me and they are actually grey imports. That price still seems low though..

11. SubMash
    And it's more probable that clone is good enough that you can't hear the difference. Or that both are same clones.

It's also hilarious how you guys think that absence of trebles is ok and minor treble boost that you can do after hacking of 1k$ IEM is legitimate solution. Above 15dB correction required and none of mods come remotely close.

In the meantime anyone who bought from that Chinese store could just contact Shure and ask their help to determine whether what you got is original product or not. I wonder why won't you do it...

12. ZappaMan
    It’s not likely the pair I ordered from the authorised retailer are clones.

I have contacted shure too, It will take them a while to respond.

13. fritz1234

Geesh, this is getting depressing.

Amsterdam and SteveOliver like this.
  14. m4rkw
    So was there any audible difference @ZappaMan?

15. dafos58
    I wonder which earphone you like? Is there any?