1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread

1. Coldfate
    been listening to 846 with black filter (foam removed) and glad to say it is the best warm iem I've heard in term of bass and oohm sensation

2. moedawg140 Contributor
    No, and not for me.

3. FactoryStock
    Allrighty then. I've given myself some brain burn in time and now the 8s are finally good. Not great, just...good, not bad. The hissing still bothers me so, and I can't increase treble past +4 without even more hissing, though. Sad.

I'll just have to focus a little harder to hear the highs since they're no longer the in-my-face kind, especially when listening to those drummers who love ghost notes. Also kinda hard to hear those tambourines in "When it Rains".
    Although, to be fair, the Havi B3P1 highs aren't exactly in-the-face either, but still of adequate volume and extension.
    Strangely, though, sometimes, on some recordings (Xtina Agui "Stripped") the high mids have a sharp 'bite' which makes me tone the trebles down.

Oh well. Man I do miss longer cymbal decays and longer gated reverbs of the 80s... :triportsad:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  4. Darren Cotter
    Do you mean new?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  5. mathi8vadhanan
    I have a feeling you will love the IE800 (if you can look past its ergonomics side).

6. archangel22

7. cirodts
    I have an AR M2 as a reader and since it has an output of 10 hom the if 846 goes well or not?

8. lesale08
    Yeah the highs are definitely lacking sparkle in 846s.

Deftone likes this.
  9. archangel22
    Which is a better digital player for these buds? Fiio X7 or a FiiO X5III (3rd Gen). I can get both for roughly the same price give or take $20 but curious to know around the price range if there are better options for the buds and if so which brand and model? Want the player and these buds to last me and be my go to music listening combo everyday till they break

10. FactoryStock
    Ah, it's OK. My bad, regarding that Paramore track. My stoopid ash assumed that the tambourine is of constant/fixed volume, when upon multiple listens, it is faint and subtle at the start and gets slightly less subtle (but still faint and distant) as the song progresses. Whoops.
    My brain burn in is now complete.

Right, these are now 4 stars out of a possible 5. Half a star removed due to hissssssssssss, and another half for decreased 'spaciousness' from my dirty B3P1. I would expect to fill up that last star when I upgrade to a better porta-DAC. I will try and see if I could audition a DACAMP L1.

I also noted the existence of Hi-Fi M8 with its tone shaping at the bottom, but hoohboy... Check out the girth of that thing. Dayum that thing is THICK. As soon as I stack it, mah pocket's gon' hate it...

Oh well. Are you listening, @FiiO? Tone controls on the next Alpen 2 successor. Please.
    Ooh, ooh, with lower O.I. and zero hiss as well. Pretty please.
    :persevere::pray:
    A man can only hope...

In the meantime, the 8's are strictly for commuting only. Where the dulled thumps of the train carriage and annoying PA announcements necessitates some slight volume-ups, which should help to mask the unwelcome tape hiss on non-analogue, non-vinyl tracks. Looks like I'm still in the game w.r.t front-ends. But seriously, no more IEMs now, FactoryStock. No more, just...stahp.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  11. cirodts
    AR M2 as a reader and since it has an output of 10 hom the if 846 goes well or not?

12. lesale08
    I've tried both and while it's not direct AB comparison, from what I remember, they are totally opposites when it comes to their signature. The x7, I would assume you were referring to the 1st gen, is more reference than the warm sounding x5 iii. I would pick to advise that the x7 will pair better with the 846. Ymmv.

Note at the time of testing the 2 daps I still do not have my 846 at that time.

13. rawrster
    I'm looking forward to owning a pair of these again. They would have arrived today at work if not for the snow storm here so hopefully it arrives tomorrow or Friday. I've gone through a lot of earphones since I last owned them around 1-1.5 years ago and I probably should have never sold them. Of course if I could go back I would also never have sold the Andromeda either. I recall the SE846 being very good for my commute and one of the more comfortable earphones I've owned that was not a custom. I'll be using them mostly with my S8+ phone. I do have a decent headphone setup at home however I doubt the SE846 will do over my HE-560.

I do wish there was a high quality cable that was low profile that I could use with these. I have some the jaybird bluetooth cable sold by UE for now however I'll probably purchase something from Effect Audio out of convenience as they tend to actually have their cables in stock or a fast turnaround time compared to most companies out there. I've always wanted to purchase one of the DHC cables but their wait times terrify me but I digress. If anyone knows of a low profile cable that is relatively inexpensive ($100-150) that is not one of the linum cables, I would definitely be interested.

14. moedawg140 Contributor
    I would choose one of these:

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...t-cable-mmcx-connector-with-microphone-remote

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...balanced-cable-with-mmcx-connector-2-5mm-jack

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...-balaned-cable-with-mmcx-connector-2-5mm-jack

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...arphone-cable-with-mmcx-connector-3-5-mm-jack

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...premium-replacement-cable-with-mmcx-connector

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...arphone-cable-with-mmcx-connector-3-5-mm-jack

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  15. ElecHires
    hello
    i want to make my own cable for my shure 846, but i don't know where to solder the L+ L- on the Left MMCX connector same thing the Right