1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread

1. Varekai
    So I think I'm leaning towards just a dac, this was I can listen to my music videos and streaming stuff like iheart or Spotify. I don't want to deal with changing the cables to balanced and get that deep. Between the rei and the q5. I love how small the rei is and that you don't have to charge it, but the q5 is also a amp as well, so Eh? Silly question ,the rei isn't just for iphones is it? Found out its made by Cupertino and seems like most support is just for Apple, and you have to check the manufacturer for Android device support.

2. csglinux
    You might want to get some help and advice from @moedawg140 before you pull the trigger on the Rei. It's a good DAC/amp combo and fairly powerful, but not MFi certified from what I understand. If you want to use it with an iPhone, you'll most likely need the camera connection kit and even then, I believe you may get some warnings/problems if you push the volume too high, as your iPhone will complain it's drawing too much power.

P.S. Sorry - I forgot you have an Android! Yeah, you should be ok then. But still, you're likely to find it a drain on your phone's battery. There's no free lunch :wink:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Varekai and moedawg140 like this.
  3. moedawg140 Contributor
    Give this man a free lunch! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Haha

In all seriousness, I’ll have to try the REI with Android devices to confirm maximum volume limits. Verizon store, here we come! :calling:

Varekai likes this.
  4. lesale08
    So I finally received the litz cable stock from campfire iems. Then plugged in some spinfits and I am liking the sound so far. The bass became tighter and gave the highs a bit of extension improvement. BB54B9F1-9979-4964-82A0-5434A2ED94B2.jpeg

5. moedawg140 Contributor
    Very cool! Yeah, the Campfire Litz cables are so legit, in my opinion. It’s like the Andromeda doesn’t sound as amazing to my ears when a Litz cable isn’t connected to it.

6. msp
    Hello, contact Cozoy on Facebook, they respond very fast. I have a REI in the post, together with the updated cable for the newest iPhones, will report back when I receive it. I also have a Mojo, perhaps I will sell it as I do not have any demanding cans

7. moedawg140 Contributor
    Have you tested the COZOY’s updated cable for the newest iPhones with the iPhone X yet? (When you receive it, of course). If so, are you able to play a song at full volume without the iPhone X giving you a too-much-power warning/message?

Thanks in advance!

8. msp
    I will check when I have it.

And thanks for the advice about the REI :)

BR Morten

moedawg140 likes this.
  9. moedawg140 Contributor
    For sure! Charles said he would send me a cable as well - I’ll be writing my thoughts on the cable for sure.

Have you tried the iPhone X with the CCK and REI with satisfactory results?

10. msp
    No, I haven't received it yet :)

11. AndrewH13
    Throwing it out there as you said you just want to listen to music! No balanced cables, no Dacs attached, no phone drain or interference. And a cracking sound with 846s. Questyle QP1R. Unique amplification in a DAP, The only DAP I’ve heard matching others DAPs three times it’s price or the Mojo/BL. Personally prefer it’s vitality to the costlier QP2R. Just one rider, if a spot on battery indicator is essential, look the other way. But for a classy, well built DAP that delivers the sound especially with 846s, save up for it and save money in the long run.

Varekai likes this.
  12. Varekai
    Thanks, looks nice, but definitely more out of my price range.

13. Varekai
    I think I'm leading towards just a dac, not much reason to have a whole separate player when all my stuff is on my S8, including music videos and it already has a 256gb card with a chunk of my music Plus I listen to iheart and Spotify a lot. Only DAP I would really lean towards is the Sony nw-zx300. I just really like it and the ridiculous battery life it gets.

So with that being said between the fiio q5 and cozoy rei. Fiio is nice because of the Bluetooth and its powered so no drain, but I really like the tiny size of the rei and the fact I don't have to charge it. Biggest downside to the rei is can't get it in the US so will have to wait a while for it. Only found two sellers on ebay for it, BUT I just got a 20% off anything coupon from ebay so that will shave a hundred bucks off. I'm assuming penon audio is a trustworthy company ?

Please make my decision for me lol. I just can't anymore. Sony nw-zx300, fiio q5 or cozoy rei. My coupon ends in 6 hours.

14. csglinux
    It sounds like you really have your heart set on that Sony unit. It's always a good idea to hear some arguments against first though...

1) Silly proprietary balanced connector (which you know you'll never use).
    2) No support for any of your streaming services.
    3) Silly DSEE HX marketing BS (which you know will always haunt you).
    4) Arguably pointless support for MQA (since the thing doesn't support streaming).

But if you still want it, go for it. Life's too short :)

P.S. All the Sony DAPs have a great design and build quality, and it does have a low noise floor with the SE846.

tbritton, Varekai and moedawg140 like this.
  15. moedawg140 Contributor
    Penon Audio in my experience, has been trustworthy. They sent my gray-red eartips for the Andromeda without any issue.

I would personally choose the REI, because it’s super-small, gives headphones a bit more power to them (app-measured +5dB increase in volume for my Massdrop X Fostex TH-X00 Ebony), and is compatible with most all devices you can throw at it.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to purchase! :smiley:

tbritton likes this.