1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread

1. lesale08
    Sadly, it didn't come with the tube screw so I have no way of opening this up right now.

My audio friends suspected that this may have been a stolen unit because of the price it was sold for.

But who knows whether or not the seller is telling the truth. He mentioned he didn't have any use for it and needed money so he sold it for cheap.

2. Pepito
    That's one thing I wish the K10's had more of, sub bass. The mid bass presence is great on the K10's, but they don't compare to the rumbling sub bass offered by the 846's, or Vega's.

Stranger Than Fiction likes this.
  3. moedawg140 Contributor
    I’ve listened to the K10. I will not comment on it.

4. Stranger Than Fiction
    ^air dos. :)

Pepito: I think the sub bass is there in tone but not quite quantity/presence (K10s).

Since acquiring the K10s I’ve not done an A&B with my 8’s but probably should. They kept me very happy and entertained for nearly four years (I used to post here as Black Label).

5. FactoryStock
    GOT'EM!
    Now scuuse me while I Eurobeat for a moment. I'll be back for a more serious listen with rock/film scores.

For now...euro, techno, trance. I gotta put these babies to their paces first.

6. moedawg140 Contributor
    My apologies, I am not understanding your comment “^air dos. :)“ (assuming that was directed to me).

7. Stranger Than Fiction
    @moedawg140: Yah, and it should have said “Fair dos.” It’s a very English way of saying fair enough. :)

moedawg140 likes this.
  8. moedawg140 Contributor
    For sure, thank you for clarifying! :thumbsup:

9. Pepito
    I agree, it's definitely there, the K10's are a great all rounder, but the oopmh isn't there (depending on what you listen to). I've been listening to more electronic music lately where <200Hz is important as the kick drum/bass is the foundation of the music. I too picked up the 846's 4 years ago, and they've been keeping me pretty happy. The bass on the 846 is unlike anything I've heard in an IEM, the use of the analog filter system really makes the bass sound clean and separate form the rest of the frequencies.

I've gone back and forth between the Vega and K10, not the 846's. It's unfair to compare the two as they're completely different beasts.

Think I remember a Black Label around, I made the mistake of opening head-fi again and reading about the Vega's. One thing lead to another and I ended up with a Mojo and some K10's. Upgraditis got the best of me.

Curse you head-fi!!!

10. Stranger Than Fiction
    @Pepito: You’re pretty well bang on with the SE846s defining feature. And it is indeed a thing of beauty I will miss.

The K10s’ do give a visceral thump when called for and they are faster than civilisation’s acceleration rate with great attack. But the bass is more sound than near physical impact as you say.

It’s worth noting I listen to a lot of progressive trance these days from John 00 Fleming, JOOF Recordings and Bonzai Progressive Records.

I tried the Vegas but didn’t like the dry bready midrange sound. They made Sultans of Swing sound dark and dingy (strangely not in an altogether bad way) where other headphones present the song somewhat brighter.

Pepito likes this.
  11. AndrewH13
    I like Katanas with Mojo and 846s with Questyle QP1R and Hugo 1/2 for ideal matches. All good equipment but I find the slightly rolled off Mojo compliments the incisive Katana, and the full bodied 846 compliments the lively QP1R and Hugo’s. Horses for courses!

12. spark plugs.
    Just curious...for those of you using this IEM with your phone, what does your mobile setup look like?

13. csglinux
    @moedawg140,

I want you to one day teach me this level of self control and restraint :wink:

An LG V30 and no dongle :)

moedawg140 and spark plugs. like this.
  14. spark plugs.
    Is the built in dac really that good?

15. csglinux
    Yup, it is :) No need for a separate DAP/DAC/amp, unless you're willing to carry a Chord DAVE around in your backpack :)

P.S. Actually, the FiiO X7ii and QP1R are also really great sources. They do both sound better than the V30 IMHO, but only marginally so. I have to be in a fairly quiet environment to appreciate the differences - a situation that rarely arises when I'm out and about with my V30. Also, when you are in that nice quiet environment, you'll notice that both these DAPs have a much higher noise floor with the SE846 than the V30.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    moedawg140 likes this.