Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #18,226 of 22,943
IMO, the SE846 is pretty much the best universal IEM you can get before jumping into flagship custom IEM's (JH audio, Noble, etc). It's current price, especially on the used market, is absolutely superb for the price to performance ratio you can get. The next step up is a rather expensive one. I absolutely love my SE846, and will probably keep using it for general purpose listening even after I get my recently ordered Noble Encore's.

There are better IEM’s for similar price on the market, such as the Campfire Andromeda.

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #18,228 of 22,943
There are better IEM’s for similar price on the market, such as the Campfire Andromeda.

I think it depends on the person's taste

I found this comparison between SE846 and Andromeda by moedawg140

The bass of the SE846 is tough to be reckoned with for a 4 BA driver earphone, as it has as much quality with a bit of quantity as any earphone in the market. Smooth, controlled and just the right about of visceralness. The Andromeda’s bass isn’t as ambidextrous, but it is quite vivacious and consistent, which should be enough for lovers of bass. The midrange is more warm and viscous than the Andromeda, and the Andromeda’s midrange is a bit more vibrant, especially in the upper midrange, compared to the SE846’s. Higher registers favor the Andromeda, which extends further than the SE846’s treble, and can also help in perceiving more of a dynamic sound from the Andromeda as well. Detail favors the Andromeda. Smoothness and ported-nature of the lower midrange and bass favors the SE846.

After almost a year of using the SE846 I would never think of an upgrade or even look for any other IEM because the SE846 sounds perfect to me :)

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #18,229 of 22,943
The biggest problem for me with the se846 was the Bass occasionally bleeding into the mids and anything above 10khz being cut-off and inaudible. Mids were quite pleasant and resolving though.

Oct 6, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #18,230 of 22,943
I think it depends on the person's taste

I found this comparison between SE846 and Andromeda by moedawg140

After almost a year of using the SE846 I would never think of an upgrade or even look for any other IEM because the SE846 sounds perfect to me :)

I have both and for me it is not even worth to make a comparison as the Andromeda is in a higher tier at approximately the same price. The Andromeda competes against IEM over $2000. It is probably one of the few IEM’s that sounds like a full sized open headphone.

The Shure SE846 was good and changed the IEM market when it arrived (3 years ago??). But in 2017, not a chance it is best universal IEM. I only use the Shure SE846 in the gym nowadays.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #18,231 of 22,943
I owned Andromeda 2 times, one of the best (if not the best) IEMs I had. Sold 2 times because of the the form factor which was giving me some pain after some time.
I could get a 846 for cheap, like 2x cheaper than Andromeda. With custom filters they sound (very) good, maybe not at Andro level but worth the price on 2nd hand market (usd500/550)

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #18,232 of 22,943
I'm the inventor of the @trishd mod', but please know I'm a very humble person and don't try to call attention to myself - I still hop into my pants '2 legs at a time', like you regular people do ....

-
I've got a few questions. I'm ignorant and entirely uneducated about audio/sound, etc., but me listening to chosen music with the se846 ABSOLUTELY alters my brain chemistry for the better. I do NOT know any of the scientific lingo', so pardon me for my stumbling/bumbling writing/descriptions:

1. You talk sometimes about 'ear fatigue' (not sure what the real 'term' for it is, or even if there is an actual scientific term for it....). I was at a friend's and we fiddled with his Bose QuietComfort vs my se846, and his sounded like such JUNK, and he didn't even realize it --- he's like I USED to be b4 owning the se846. When I listen to music, I WANT to hear it accurately. I remember I used to wear nice over-ear headphones, listening to music, and to aim to get a sense of 'euphoria', I'd always be cranking up the volume, and, in retrospect, it seems I was trying to blast my eardrums with loud sound 'to get a high'. I really love hearing the fine, fine detail, the accuracy as I listen - I've mentioned I'm a Keane fan and the lead singer, Tom Chaplin, gheesh, you hear his inhalations, his wheeziness, his little lisp and 'sputtering'. I want to hear that - I love hearing all that - it adds to the experience. I can 'tell' that I'm adding new, ever more complex brain synapses, literally altering my brain chemistry, 'upping' my I.Q., feeling 'happy' (I do NOT normally 'feel happy') and all of that.

So what is 'listening fatigue' - is it a scientific concept?

2. Related to No. 1 (just above), one thing that is so Mega Kewl IMO about the se846 is how, if I turn the volume down as far as possible, I still hear ALL the detail, EG, Tom Chaplin's constant wheezing. I 'love' to be in a place of total quiet and listen to my chosen music on the se846 and set volume down as low as it can go. And the way I feel as I listen with the volume turned down as far as possible is 'different', too - I don't know how to say it, but it's my mind is all clear and sharp and astute, listening so carefully for the teensiest sounds, not to miss any of it. It's so primal - is it reptilian brain-related - is it intense reptilian brain activation?? I know I myself have chronic 'bad' PTSS, the state of always feeling frozen in that place where I'm on alert and sensing danger from any and all direction, at any time!!, and I can 'tell' that when I listen to the se846 in a super-quiet place with volume down as far as it can go, I'm altering my brain chemistry for the better re. my 'normal' state of feeling very 'hyper-activated' (EG, if someone taps me gently on shoulder or whispers suddenly from behind me, I literally JOLT, tremble, can 'fall off the chair', shake, heart races with fear.....). It's such a sense of pleasure as I do that - does this have a scientific name? AND, how does volume up/down relate 'scientifically' to the concept of 'listening fatigue'/'ear fatigue??

-
PS - I am in the process of making FLAC of various cds right now - OH, do I miss Michael Jackson. I myself am a part of 12 Step and a sort of activist upset with all the addiction there is - addiction is bad, bad, bad. I'm completely anti-booze/drug, etc. I've seen so many endless horrors. When we're dying, we're not going to be thinking, 'Oh, I wish I'd stayed drunk more of my life........ regrets, regrets.......'. That Conrad Murray - euw. And I'm in MN, so fyi the doc' who treated Prince fyi, Michael Schulenberg, did horrid, horrid shameful things and quite immediately quit being a M.D. after Prince's O.D. death. Go to 5:20 in this video - WHO DANCES LIKE THIS !! ?? I miss M.J. !!

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #18,233 of 22,943
Fatigue = your ears are getting tired. It's a real thing, with potentially irreversible, nasty consequences:

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-dose.html

Generally, you'll feel like you've had enough of that noise/sound and need to take a break. It's your brain telling you you've hit the limits in the above table. The problem with these dB ratings is they're way too simplistic. They say nothing about narrow-band peaks and impulse sound (gun shots) that can quickly (in some cases instantly) damage higher-frequency hearing. Also, most people have no idea what dB levels their headphones are causing at their eardrums, so listening to your body is always a good idea :)

This kind of segues into the claim by @ubs28 that the Andromedas are "better" than the SE846. They do have more treble extension than stock SE846. But everybody has different hearing, different sound signature preferences, different preferred musical genres, etc. Some might like (or might need) more extended treble; others actually prefer a gentle roll-off in the upper treble (because this actually corresponds to what happens in air - higher frequencies are attenuated faster over distances than lower frequencies). Personally, the way fatigue hits me is with peaky trebles. Andromedas aren't too bad, but there are other IEMs (IE800) that have insane treble peaks that make me want to stop listening pretty quickly.

If you want more treble extension with the SE846, you have options. You have the trishd mod: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1209#post-13714040, @Jamnperry's Knowles' damper mods: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/ and/or the use of SpinFit or the hybrid Symbio eartips (the Symbio tips make a huge difference). However, the Andromedas have objectively worse ergonomics, comfort and isolation - and I'm not aware of any mods that can fix those issues.

I'm sure I've been guilty of this myself, but we all really should try to steer clear of labelling something as "better", when all we really mean is it sounds/fits/feels better for us.

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #18,235 of 22,943
This isn’t about frequency response, this is about technical performance. Even if the Shure SE846 had treble, it would still not be in the same class.

I haven’t heard Shure their flagship IEM yet, but I suspect their flagship IEM is technically also superior to their Shure SE846, even if the Shure SE846 had treble.

I am not saying the Andromeda is perfect as it does have some issues. But for $1000, it is one of the few “bargains” in this market of inflated audio prices. They could have easily charged way more money based on sound quality.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #18,236 of 22,943
Has anyone tried Vega and would like to compare with 846?

Vega is too different I would say to make a comparison. The Andromeda and Shure SE846 are more aiming to be more neutral while the Vega aims at a more fun sound with alot of bass.

Best is to simply try it out yourself and see if you like it as it does have a coloured sound and personal taste will be the determining factor here.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #18,238 of 22,943
This isn’t about frequency response, this is about technical performance. Even if the Shure SE846 had treble, it would still not be in the same class.

I haven’t heard Shure their flagship IEM yet, but I suspect their flagship IEM is technically also superior to their Shure SE846, even if the Shure SE846 had treble.

I am not saying the Andromeda is perfect as it does have some issues. But for $1000, it is one of the few “bargains” in this market of inflated audio prices. They could have easily charged way more money based on sound quality.

Standard, off-the-shelf Sonion/Knowles' BA drivers are somehow more technically competent just because they're inside an Andromeda shell?!? Have you actually tried the Knowles' damper mod?

You've made.it abundantly clear that you prefer the Andromeda. Not everybody does. That makes it subjective.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #18,239 of 22,943
Standard, off-the-shelf Sonion/Knowles' BA drivers are somehow more technically competent just because they're inside an Andromeda shell?!? Have you actually tried the Knowles' damper mod?

You've made.it abundantly clear that you prefer the Andromeda. Not everybody does. That makes it subjective.

I made it quite clear that I wasn't talking about frequency response preference but pure from technical performance. I don't know what Campfire did, but it is on a higher level than what Shure has come up with.

But if you think the Shure SE846 has the same technical performance in terms of soundstage, details, seperation and so on .... then I suppose I am happy for you?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #18,240 of 22,943
Cheers for the replies guys! I don’t think it’s that I’ve been conditioned, I think slightly warmer with softer highs is just my preference. Before the W4r I had a pair of SE215. A year later I happened across an audio store and was able to try the W4r and was instantly sold.

I think the W60 is probably the “safe” choice for me but I hate what they’ve done with the removeable face plates... they seem way less robust, *especially* compared to the Shures.
I had the W60, and the 846. If I were to choose one, it would be the W60.Without getting into sound differences, the W60 were very comfortable, and I never really got the perfect fit with the 846. but I sold both, when I heard the iSINE 20. My M300 have shipped, and am looking forward to comparing both.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back