Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #167 of 22,942
I had the Westone 4R and saw that Senn came out with the IE800. I bought it as I had 30 days to return it. I burned it in for about 50 hours and I really love them. Last year I had tried at least a half a dozen IEM's all in the +/- $500 range and felt they all lacked good bass.

The 4R was about the best compromise that I found. However the Senn's are really great. Good bass and good soundstage. Not too bright.

Last week I heard about the 846 and thought I would try these as well since I had 30 days to try them out. I also had tried out a pair of 535's last year. I burned in 836's and they are going back to the store today. Even though the bass is better than the 535's. I still don't like that they are too damn bright. I even used the black inserts and I still don't like them. I even burned them for about another 50 hours and I still prefer the Senn's.
Ken

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #169 of 22,942
The Shures are way too bright?!?! Sensitive to treble Ken?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #170 of 22,942
I love my Senns - especially the small size factor.  The Shure's housing is a little too big for me I think - they end up irritating my ears after a while in a way others with a similar form factor (like the Westone W4R). But the highs on the Senns can sometimes be almost piercing, the mids a little lacking and the bass a little overwhelming (to me) especially compared to what for me is a more laid-back balanced sound I get from the Shures.  The Senns seem to have a more "exciting" but sometimes fatiguing sound while the Shure's are more polite but less fatiguing to me.  It's funny how we all hear these IEMs differently.

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #171 of 22,942
I am also surprised by this- the last thing I would call the shure treble is "way too bright"..

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #172 of 22,942
Quote:
I am also surprised by this- the last thing I would call the shure treble is "way too bright"..

I actually think the IE800 is way too bright...

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #177 of 22,942
I've been spending a little bit of time comparing between the two SE846 with the spongy tips & standard cables vs the FitEar TO GO! 334 with Ortofon tips & standard 001 cables this evening.

As previously mentioned either in this thread or in the other SE846 Announcement thread by Jude, the SE846 seems to exhibit a larger staging with the bigger sound whilst the FitEar TG!334 has a much more intimate presentation. However I feel the TG!334 seems to have a somewhat greater resolution, with smoothness to the detail texture, whilst the SE846 still seems a little coarse on the details somewhat. This could be due to my SE846 cables aren't fully burned in yet (I'm not so much of a believer of the BAs needing burn-in, but I'd accept cable burn-in), or because I used the spongy tips. There's something about the TG!334's trebles (yes it does have trebles :p) that just opens up with a nice airy presentation. I seem to prefer the clarity & detail of cymbals and percussions on the TG!334 which seem more distinctly separated. The SE846 doesn't perform poorly but somehow seems drown a little from the mids creeping in.

The SE846 doesn't trample on the TG!334 so easily and each still has its own merits that makes it a little hard of which to choose depending on one's priorities.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #178 of 22,942
Quote:
I had the Westone 4R and saw that Senn came out with the IE800. I bought it as I had 30 days to return it. I burned it in for about 50 hours and I really love them. Last year I had tried at least a half a dozen IEM's all in the +/- $500 range and felt they all lacked good bass.

The 4R was about the best compromise that I found. However the Senn's are really great. Good bass and good soundstage. Not too bright.

Last week I heard about the 846 and thought I would try these as well since I had 30 days to try them out. I also had tried out a pair of 535's last year. I burned in 836's and they are going back to the store today. Even though the bass is better than the 535's. I still don't like that they are too damn bright. I even used the black inserts and I still don't like them. I even burned them for about another 50 hours and I still prefer the Senn's.
Ken

se846 brighter than ie800.... one of them has to be fake or defective!! or maybe both?! or maybe sth else?!!!! something has to be defective for that conclusion.....  
size]

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #179 of 22,942
Quote:
I've been spending a little bit of time comparing between the two SE846 with the spongy tips & standard cables vs the FitEar TO GO! 334 with Ortofon tips & standard 001 cables this evening.

As previously mentioned either in this thread or in the other SE846 Announcement thread by Jude, the SE846 seems to exhibit a larger staging with the bigger sound whilst the FitEar TG!334 has a much more intimate presentation. However I feel the TG!334 seems to have a somewhat greater resolution, with smoothness to the detail texture, whilst the SE846 still seems a little coarse on the details somewhat. This could be due to my SE846 cables aren't fully burned in yet (I'm not so much of a believer of the BAs needing burn-in, but I'd accept cable burn-in), or because I used the spongy tips. There's something about the TG!334's trebles (yes it does have trebles :p) that just opens up with a nice airy presentation. I seem to prefer the clarity & detail of cymbals and percussions on the TG!334 which seem more distinctly separated. The SE846 doesn't perform poorly but somehow seems drown a little from the mids creeping in.

The SE846 doesn't trample on the TG!334 so easily and each still has its own merits that makes it a little hard of which to choose depending on one's priorities.

Exactly my impressions.  I do think a silver-based cable help with the clarity and persuccions on 846.  But yup your impressions are why I cancelled my se846 order.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #180 of 22,942
Just wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the 846s. This is my first pair of what I'd consider to be high end in earphones and wow do they deliver. Compared to my BW P5s with upgrading cabling there really is no contest. Listening to Lee Ritenour's Four on Six track is just wow. It's like rediscovering the track. Granted I've not owned any other products in the Shure line so I can't speak to how much better they are than their little brothers.

The earphones aren't harsh and much better balanced than my P5s (which tended to be a touch warm).  Amazing job Shure... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back