Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #17,446 of 22,943
Anyone here can share experiences and change in sound with each types of tips and filters?
I am thinking of a neutral sound as much as possible transparent from DAC. So will leave it blue inserts ang nozzles on basic silicon.

I read here that spinfits make a louder bass?

Any comments will be helpful.

Cheerio!

I cannot answer your question completely....
My se846 came with modded blue filters and I was wearing them for a few weeks quite happily. But not knowing how the original blue filter sounded bugged me, so I ordered them (maybe you saw the picture a few posts up). Now I have the comparison and my verdict is clear.
The modded blue might have a bigger stage and sound somewhat airier but I always felt that - especially with female jazz vocals - the treble got out of control. I absolutely prefer the regular blue filters which give me much more balanced listening experience for my taste of music and my ears.

I would like to try the much quoted mod with the brown or red filter but haven't figured out yet where to get those in Germany.

Cheers

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #17,447 of 22,943
Hi all,
A really silly newbie question and probably has been answered before - is any of you using a cable clip to stop the cable noise? I am still on stock cables and find the sound satisfying but the cable noise is driving me nuts. Now I've been looking around but only found really cheap plastic clips - they don't seem to be appropriate enough to fix my precious cable to my clothes :D
Any recommendations?
Thanks
Freshman

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #17,448 of 22,943
Hi all,
A really silly newbie question and probably has been answered before - is any of you using a cable clip to stop the cable noise? I am still on stock cables and find the sound satisfying but the cable noise is driving me nuts. Now I've been looking around but only found really cheap plastic clips - they don't seem to be appropriate enough to fix my precious cable to my clothes
biggrin.gif

Any recommendations?
Thanks
Freshman

The clip helps a little, but also, loop the the cord behind you neck, rather than down the front and, of course, use the cinch. It won't be totally alleviated, but it's an improvement. I also find a hard bend in the memory wire so that it touches my ears and the side of my head helps a bit.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #17,449 of 22,943
The clip helps a little, but also, loop the the cord behind you neck, rather than down the front and, of course, use the cinch. It won't be totally alleviated, but it's an improvement. I also find a hard bend in the memory wire so that it touches my ears and the side of my head helps a bit.

Thanks for the advise - will try to get used to the "behind the neck" thing. I tried it once but wearing glasses and a wollen hat it somehow didn't work that well.
I also try to bend the cable quite a lot to get a close fit, but that really only helps very little.
Thanks again and cheers. Any other recommendations still welcome :)

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #17,458 of 22,943
Thanks for the input, I need neutral so most likely I will stick to the regular blue. 

Guys, let me share the photo of my SE846 together with Ibasso DX200.

Btw, it's CanJam today in Singapore! :)

Nice combo :) I use the Cayin i5 even though some folks say it's not the best choice. Maybe they are right but I find it a great match.

I especially like what's playing on your DAP - love that album!

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #17,459 of 22,943
  Thanks for the input, I need neutral so most likely I will stick to the regular blue. 

Guys, let me share the photo of my SE846 together with Ibasso DX200.

Btw, it's CanJam today in Singapore! :)

What's the pairing like?  I currently own the DX80 and DX90.  The DX80 sounded livlier and more spacious but had some hiss compared to the DX90.

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #17,460 of 22,943
  What's the pairing like?  I currently own the DX80 and DX90.  The DX80 sounded livlier and more spacious but had some hiss compared to the DX90.

As another DX80 owner I am also curious about the DX200 with the SE846's. 

I am getting just barely discernible hiss with mine (89db MP3, low gain, vol at 75) and the SE846. For me. not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back