Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 18, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #15,364 of 22,943
Sorry guys same Old filter talk,

After getting these last week, i have tried everything in filters from blue (default) to black(i didn't like them at all) and then white and then to modded blues, the default blue ones sounded much like my ie80s with superb mids but had a little more bass so i then moved on to white filters, here bass was low and lacked a little lushness of the blues but i preferred those due to increased treble signature, then after reading tons of discussions on modding the blues ones, i went ahead and did the same today but then these has less treble and the bass was again a little more, after listening i felt i was better off with the white ones and was also going through the thread at the same time as well where it was mentioned in some posts to avoid the filters alltogether ("full throttle mod"), so while changing from the modded blues i thought why not give it a try and when i put these on, it felt like finally the fog has lifted and the skies are finally crystal clear, wow now i am feeling these are the perfect sound signature for me, clarity is in whole new level (the best i have heard so far) and just the right amount of bass and sub bass and the treble harsh for some songs but the sound is so much fuller (mesmerizing ...) now. Will keep this on like this for a few days, however this mod can be a little fatiguing but the clarity OMG...

I am hoping that using these without filters will not affect the longevity of the IEM ... i am guessing. Please share your thoughts on this...

May 18, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #15,365 of 22,943
  Sorry guys same Old filter talk,

After getting these last week, i have tried everything in filters from blue (default) to black(i didn't like them at all) and then white and then to modded blues, the default blue ones sounded much like my ie80s with superb mids but had a little more bass so i then moved on to white filters, here bass was low and lacked a little lushness of the blues but i preferred those due to increased treble signature, then after reading tons of discussions on modding the blues ones, i went ahead and did the same today but then these has less treble and the bass was again a little more, after listening i felt i was better off with the white ones and was also going through the thread at the same time as well where it was mentioned in some posts to avoid the filters alltogether ("full throttle mod"), so while changing from the modded blues i thought why not give it a try and when i put these on, it felt like finally the fog has lifted and the skies are finally crystal clear, wow now i am feeling these are the perfect sound signature for me, clarity is in whole new level (the best i have heard so far) and just the right amount of bass and sub bass and the treble harsh for some songs but the sound is so much fuller (mesmerizing ...) now. Will keep this on like this for a few days, however this mod can be a little fatiguing but the clarity OMG...

I am hoping that using these without filters will not affect the longevity of the IEM ... i am guessing. Please share your thoughts on this.. 

I did the exact same thing but I somehow feel that se846 without the filter sounds like the music couldn't get together . the highs,mids and bass are separated from too far. I agree that it sounds better in mids but I am more enjoy listening music to at 'full range'. This is my opinion, hope you don't find it offensive. 

May 18, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #15,366 of 22,943
  I did the exact same thing but I somehow feel that se846 without the filter sounds like the music couldn't get together . the highs,mids and bass are separated from too far. I agree that it sounds better in mids but I am more enjoy listening music to at 'full range'. This is my opinion, hope you don't find it offensive. 

Maybe you haven't fully burn in you se846. Please give it more time and I believe you will find yourself more enjoyable in listening to it.

May 18, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #15,369 of 22,943

I am sorry but do you mean by how long? I think a full burn in will require at least one month but it is getting better ​. Your brain also need to get use about how se846 sounds . what other earphones or headphones do you still own?

I used the ie80s before getting these, these took a long burn-in to get the bass more settled, but since 846s are BA i didnt think much burn-in will bring some crazy changes.

May 18, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #15,374 of 22,943
Continue to be impressed by these headphones.  Tried them on my Macbook 12" through Audirvana and played back my FLAC files.  Sounded incredible.  Up to this point I had just used my iPhone 6.  Sound was so much better, that I'm now rethinking playback of my files on the iPhone.  Listening to Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery (Still... You Turn Me On), the difference in the plucking of the guitar strings was night and day.  My guess is the DAC on the MacBook 12 is a beauty as compared to what goes into iOS devices.  Any ideas on what the DAC is and if it is used in any DAP's?  

May 18, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #15,375 of 22,943
Another very happy SE846 owner here. I had the IE80 for 3 years. I really like the IE80, but the SE846 is a definite upgrade in all departments. Vocals are amazing. It usually takes me a few listens before I start noticing differences, but I noticed the differences with the SE846 almost straight away.

I'm also using an iPhone 6, so I have a similar question to the above poster. I'm impressed with the iPhone 6 + SE846 combo, but I guess I've now got to try a standalone DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back