Shure SE846, Etymotic Research ER4XR, Fearless 8 Pro or Moondrop Starfield??
Jul 7, 2020 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Edyeded86

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Have some decisions to make.

Recentky emabarked on Audiophile journey, and started low wiht the BLON BL-03, which are quite nice to be fair (paired to my AK25).

Now looking to step up, and I've seen teh following available:

Shure SE846 - eBay - £400
Etymotic Research ER4XR - eBay - £120
Fearless 8 Pro - eBay - £350
Moondrop Starfield - Amazon - £84 (brand new)

I'm listening to a lot of hip hop/R&B/Pop etc so like a nice textured base, but looking for any airy clarity and sparkle too (if thats exists).

What would you guys recomend from the above?

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 19
It really depends on what kind of presentation you want for your music.

The Shure's are an excellent earphone and will give your bass response a really good thump with plenty of detail and a smoothness to the mids. I would say that for an all round musical earphone the Shure would be hard to beat. I owned them for a few months and always regret selling them.

The Etymotics are also an excellent earphone although I would go for the sr version over the xr as it has a flatter response, the xr has a slight lift in the bass, not massive but it's there. I've owned both the sr and xr. I've still got the sr, some would argue it isn't as musical as the Shure which is true to an extent, it is a more accurate and analytical earphone.

Can't comment on the other two.

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 19
The S8Pro has a very aggressive, energetic V-shaped signature with emphasized upper mids and lower treble that makes it sound quite detailed. Female vocals pop right out, male vocals are neutral. The bass isn't super-impressive, but there should be enough quality and quantity to satisfy most people. It's got better (i.e., existent) treble extension than the SE846 or ER4 if you want airy treble, though it's no Andromeda. Great for pop, satisfactory for hip-hop, haven't tried it with R&B but should be fine.

Downside is that it can be intense to listen to for people sensitive to upper mids, so I wouldn't call it a safe buy for someone who's only tried the BL-03, but if you can enjoy listening to zingy Harman-tuned IEMs like the Sony MH755 at higher volumes, the S8Pro is a step up from that. That said, the same caveat applies to the Moondrop and Etymotic IEMs, just to a slightly lesser degree, with the Shures being the safest tonal choice between the four. As a test, you could try listening to the BLONs after EQ-ing up 4 kHz by 5 dB.

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 19
It's a bit complicated answering your question since you're looking for both bass and clarity. More expensive IEMs offer both. Shure has bass but fails imo when you try to go higher. Mids are mediocre, highs aren't there. Tonality is odd. You can see this through any graph, refer to crinacle. I ended up returning the Shure to amazon and was disappointed.
I've been with the Andromeda ever since as it is levels above the shure in terms of clarity. You won't find many IEMs that do better than this for soundstage or sparkle. I'm now trying some 50 cent, there is some bass on the andromeda, not as much as the shure, the rest of the spectrum is incomparable between the two. It is overall a better IEM and will give you the air and clarity in the vocals, drums and sparkle. Again, the bass on the Andromeda is not much, but I specifically compared it to Shure on candy shop by 50 cent before returning the Shure. Even though the bass was less, the music sounded better on the Andromeda. I am finding the same thing now.
I'd consider the fearless s8, again refer to Crinacle for an iem tier list. Haven't heard it or the Etymotic, but I won't consider the Etymotic due to the weird shape.

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 19
This is where asking people's opinion becomes difficult. No disrespect to @shizzin but I would more or less completely disagree with his feelings around the Shure 846. I think they have some of the smoothest mids you will find in any IEM, the highs are also very well detailed and the tonality to me was spot on. There is also the issue of graphs. I have never paid any attention to them, if I did there is an abundance of ear and headphones I wouldn't have tried. Again no disrespect to those who do use them but I prefer my own ears and music to be the judge of the sound.
The other aspect is of course comfort and this shouldn't be undersold. @shizzin is right about the Etymotic, not everybody gets on with their shape and fit, they require a real deep insertion to get the best from them. I love them but can't use silicone tips with them as it hurts, foams for me.
Again personal opinion but the Shure have an excellent fit, they fit well in the ear and can be worn for hours. I struggled with the fit of Campfire, found them uncomfortable for long periods.

Sometimes if it is possible it is beneficial to try and return earphones. I've done this a few times with Amazon.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 19
This is where asking people's opinion becomes difficult. No disrespect to @shizzin but I would more or less completely disagree with his feelings around the Shure 846. I think they have some of the smoothest mids you will find in any IEM, the highs are also very well detailed and the tonality to me was spot on. There is also the issue of graphs. I have never paid any attention to them, if I did there is an abundance of ear and headphones I wouldn't have tried. Again no disrespect to those who do use them but I prefer my own ears and music to be the judge of the sound.
The other aspect is of course comfort and this shouldn't be undersold. @shizzin is right about the Etymotic, not everybody gets on with their shape and fit, they require a real deep insertion to get the best from them. I love them but can't use silicone tips with them as it hurts, foams for me.
Again personal opinion but the Shure have an excellent fit, they fit well in the ear and can be worn for hours. I struggled with the fit of Campfire, found them uncomfortable for long periods.

Sometimes if it is possible it is beneficial to try and return earphones. I've done this a few times with Amazon.
You're on point about the fit. The reason I didn't mention it was because I was so disappointed with the sound of the Shure. But it's okay, it seems I've pissed quite a few people on here with my opinion of it, and your comment is by far the most respectful so far. I have mid-sized ears and the Shure do fit me better than the Andromeda, as the Andromeda was causing some protrusion earlier. Now I don't feel it as much since I've been wearing them extensively for the past few months, but that is in part my point - I can't ditch sound for fit if I can wear the IEMs. I A/B-ed the two extensively, swapping them for days before returning the Shure. I really wanted to like the Shure and I somehow liked the transparent design, it's a small IEM that fits well. I bought it with so much excitement and expectation. But my feeling was that as big and edgy the Andromeda was, it also was the reason why it sounded better - it was bigger, with more volume and technicalities. There are simply frequencies you don't hear on the Shure and I tested it on Living On My Own by Freddie, you don't hear the sparkle of the bells on the Shure, but it rings on the Andromeda. This is without even talking about the soundstage, vocals or instrument imaging. But I am conveying my experience. The Shure was not bad, comfort was better, but it lost on sound for me when I was comparing it. And I'm sorry, as respectful as I'm trying to be, I can't agree on the treble or the mid detail. Maybe I should hear the Shure again.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 19
You're on point about the fit. The reason I didn't mention it was because I was so disappointed with the sound of the Shure. But it's okay, it seems I've pissed quite a few people on here with my opinion of it, and your comment is by far the most respectful so far. I have mid-sized ears and the Shure do fit me better than the Andromeda, as the Andromeda was causing some protrusion earlier. Now I don't feel it as much since I've been wearing them extensively for the past few months, but that is in part my point - I can't ditch sound for fit if I can wear the IEMs. I A/B-ed the two extensively, swapping them for days before returning the Shure. I really wanted to like the Shure and I somehow liked the transparent design, it's a small IEM that fits well. I bought it with so much excitement and expectation. But my feeling was that as big and edgy the Andromeda was, it also was the reason why it sounded better - it was bigger, with more volume and technicalities. There are simply frequencies you don't hear on the Shure and I tested it on Living On My Own by Freddie, you don't hear the sparkle of the bells on the Shure, but it rings on the Andromeda. This is without even talking about the soundstage, vocals or instrument imaging. But I am conveying my experience. The Shure was not bad, comfort was better, but it lost on sound for me when I was comparing it. And I'm sorry, as respectful as I'm trying to be, I can't agree on the treble or the mid detail. Maybe I should hear the Shure again.
Thanks for this guys - what would you recommend for a £500 budget?

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 19

Oh don't worry, I've upset people on here before when I've not agreed with them about certain products lol. The Shure's are not for everybody as can be said about most brands. The main thing is you tried them which allows you to form an opinion, there are many on here who judge products without trying.
Do you still have the IMR R1 Zenith in your signature. The IMR Red may be a good shout for the original poster. I have the RAH and waiting for the Halcyon to arrive. I did have the Zenith but struggled with the fit. Love the IMR range, good musical earphones with loads of bass kick.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 19
Oh don't worry, I've upset people on here before when I've not agreed with them about certain products lol. The Shure's are not for everybody as can be said about most brands. The main thing is you tried them which allows you to form an opinion, there are many on here who judge products without trying.
Do you still have the IMR R1 Zenith in your signature. The IMR Red may be a good shout for the original poster. I have the RAH and waiting for the Halcyon to arrive. I did have the Zenith but struggled with the fit. Love the IMR range, good musical earphones with loads of bass kick.
How's the RAH? I was thinking about it when Bob was sending emails last year. I haven't heard anything else by IMR but I'm not a fan of the Zenith. I'll be selling it. To me the tonality is odd and I seem to have a thing for detail. Actually the Shure sounded pretty good the first time through the iPhone dongle compared to the Zenith, but at that time I didn't know it had to do with technicalities like the difference in impedance in addition to the higher quality of the Shure.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 19
How's the RAH? I was thinking about it when Bob was sending emails last year. I haven't heard anything else by IMR but I'm not a fan of the Zenith. I'll be selling it. To me the tonality is odd and I seem to have a thing for detail. Actually the Shure sounded pretty good the first time through the iPhone dongle compared to the Zenith, but at that time I didn't know it had to do with technicalities like the difference in impedance in addition to the higher quality of the Shure.

The RAH is excellent to me, really big soundstage with a bass that kicks but has depth and sub bass as well, plenty of detail in both the mids and highs, maybe not as refined as more expensive options but still punching above its weight. The filter combinations give entry of scope as well, i use a combo that highlights the mids and tones the bass a little.
The new model are another hybrid with electrostatic drivers

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 19
The RAH is excellent to me, really big soundstage with a bass that kicks but has depth and sub bass as well, plenty of detail in both the mids and highs, maybe not as refined as more expensive options but still punching above its weight. The filter combinations give entry of scope as well, i use a combo that highlights the mids and tones the bass a little.
The new model are another hybrid with electrostatic drivers
I must say IMR have really interesting design, although I've read somewhere that Bob copies it. I originally saw the Zenith on Massdrop and in retrospect it had an outrageous price, but I looked on the IMR website and decided to buy it B-stock which is a good thing considering I've upgraded past it. It would be interesting to hear the hybrids and I'd like to know your opinion once the Halcyon comes. So I should take it the rest of the line sounds better than the Zenith.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 19
I must say IMR have really interesting design, although I've read somewhere that Bob copies it. I originally saw the Zenith on Massdrop and in retrospect it had an outrageous price, but I looked on the IMR website and decided to buy it B-stock which is a good thing considering I've upgraded past it. It would be interesting to hear the hybrids and I'd like to know your opinion once the Halcyon comes. So I should take it the rest of the line sounds better than the Zenith.

I cant speak for the Aten but the RAH is easily a big improvement on the Zenith.
The RAH for me easily competes with earphones double the price.

My current favourite is the Audeze lcd i3, bot a traditional iem like some but an absolutely stunning earphone.

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 19
Hi Guys,

Have some decisions to make.

Recentky emabarked on Audiophile journey, and started low wiht the BLON BL-03, which are quite nice to be fair (paired to my AK25).

Now looking to step up, and I've seen teh following available:

Shure SE846 - eBay - £400
Etymotic Research ER4XR - eBay - £120
Fearless 8 Pro - eBay - £350
Moondrop Starfield - Amazon - £84 (brand new)

I'm listening to a lot of hip hop/R&B/Pop etc so like a nice textured base, but looking for any airy clarity and sparkle too (if thats exists).

What would you guys recomend from the above?

Any likes or dislikes about the bl-03 signature? That may help others make some recommendations.

Instead of the Starfield maybe the IT00 (reportedly better according to @audio123).

Or the KXXS / KXXX would be better for both bass with better clarity and some 'sparkle'.

I'd probably skip the se846 and er4xr.

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 19
Any likes or dislikes about the bl-03 signature? That may help others make some recommendations.

Instead of the Starfield maybe the IT00 (reportedly better according to @audio123).

Or the KXXS / KXXX would be better for both bass with better clarity and some 'sparkle'.

I'd probably skip the se846 and er4xr.
Yeap the IT00 is better than Starfield IMO. @IEManiac can chime in on this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back