Shure SE846 Driver Failure
Oct 13, 2020 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Olisim

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

My trusty Shure SE846 have finally decided that enough is enough after 7 years of fantastic service, being left in the rain overnight, and even one spin through the washer and dryer (About three years ago! They didn't even break a sweat ;P).
I think what happened is the midrange driver in the left ear piece failed (quite certain actually). I've tried with a few different cables and yeah, that's what I've deduced from test tones and the like.

Here's my question: it looks like I could get the left ear piece replaced by Shure for about $300 USD (I'm in Canada, so probably closer to $400). Has anyone had any experience getting a replacement SE846 from Shure? What are the wait times like? Are they easy to deal with?
My other thought is that now that they're as old as they are... what's the likelihood of the other side having some kind of failure in the coming years? I guess if it did I would just have replaced both sides for about $800 and I'd have a brand new pair... but for that price I'm thinking maybe I should just get a new set of IEMs. They've been so faithful though... it's a painful thought to let them go.

Sorry I know this isn't a super clear question or anything, but I'd love anyone's thoughts if you have any. I just bought the BT2 cable about a year and a half ago so I guess the investment for that stings a little. I could always try to sell that off, and even the right ear piece (doubt there's a market for one seven year old SE846 lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back