Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #137 of 3,218
What is interesting is that they are tuning and crossing over frequencies with these plates as opposed to electronics - resistors can often add their own "signature" to a sound - but tuning output via enclosure is very interesting. Now I'm sure there is a resistor or two in there - but the less there are, the less colored the sound. Maybe an explanation of the low impedance.

May 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #138 of 3,218
People, if you have bough anything from earphonesolutions before, you should already know that they have A LOT of sales and coupons! I've bought maybe 4 or 5 headphones from them NEVER at full price. So I'd suggest you wait a little for a 20% coupon off or something, effectively driving the $1000 down.

I've bought from them the SRH940, SRH1840s at cheap prices with coupons.
Right now I think they still have the "H15" coupon valid (15% off)... if you are planning on pre-ordering, check if that works! :wink:

I love Shure headphones, but never been a fan of IEMs... this one intrigues me... but I guess I want them to create a better/fuller sounding SRH940 (SRH1840 was just... too similar to HD600s by Senn... and I need it to be 'closed').

Anyway, just a head-up regarding earphonesolutions.

May 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #139 of 3,218
What wasn't nice was the cable. It isn't evidently in its final form in Japan (either the cable or the phone, I didn't grab which it was) but I'd not expect new materials. The cables swivelled out away from my ears without me doing anything and are very uncomfortable in combination with glasses. 

Sound is very nice. The cable really needs an overhaul.

This is exactly why the SE series and I never saw eye to eye. Very uncomfortable cable, indeed. Fortunately, there are replacements out there.

May 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #142 of 3,218
I bought JH13 for 899 ,4 years ago and during that time it was heralded as best things since sliced bread. I still remember the most expensive universal is tf10 (dont count the fire sale) and 535. Fast forward 4 years and FitEar, AKG3003,IE800 and now this.....wonder what world have become......I tried 3003, despite the build, SQ is no match to JH13......Not sure about these 2

May 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #143 of 3,218
Quote:
I bought JH13 for 899 ,4 years ago and during that time it was heralded as best things since sliced bread. I still remember the most expensive universal is tf10 (dont count the fire sale) and 535. Fast forward 4 years and FitEar, AKG3003,IE800 and now this.....wonder what world have become......I tried 3003, despite the build, SQ is no match to JH13......Not sure about these 2

The JH13 now is an old news.  I still love mine but it is surpassed now by the Freqphased version which is noticeably better than the old JH13.  Despite I said that, I love my old JH13pro.  I agree with you that every manufacturer is cashing in on their products.  One definite advantage that the new Shure has over any custom IEMs is the resale value.

May 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #146 of 3,218
Quote:
$1,000??? What!

I will pass. Or just buy JH16 with twice the drivers for a couple hundred bucks more.

SE535 still the sweet spot in the lineup.

My thoughts exactly. I'm saving for the JH16s. Someday..........

May 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #148 of 3,218
Quote:
The JH13 now is an old news.  I still love mine but it is surpassed now by the Freqphased version which is noticeably better than the old JH13.  Despite I said that, I love my old JH13pro.  I agree with you that every manufacturer is cashing in on their products.  One definite advantage that the new Shure has over any custom IEMs is the resale value.

That's one of the resons why I haven't jumped into customs.  Listening to the universals is one thing, but for customs, if you don't like them, in the very least you're going to take a huge bath.

May 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #150 of 3,218
Would love to hear comparisons between TG!334 and the SE846, all of you in Japan that get a shot at listening to both :)

This sounds promising, but will definitely wait for a bit more news before deciding whether or not it's worth breaking open the piggy bank for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back