Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 2, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #2,911 of 3,218
  I'd give them a few weeks of constant listening before making any commitments. Try all the tips. The olives make the sound darker and thicker than the SE846 sounds naturally. Yellow foams or other low density, high throughput ear pieces will give the most neutral sound.

Thank you. I will.  

May 2, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,912 of 3,218
The westone star tips are the best? For some strange reason my Shure black olive is worn out after a few weeks. So I'm looking for a replacement.

May 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2,913 of 3,218
The westone star tips are the best? For some strange reason my Shure black olive is worn out after a few weeks. So I'm looking for a replacement.

I've been happy with the Westone Star Tips.  If you order them, get the "variety pack" that contains various sizes of both their foam "True-fit" and silicone "Star-fit" tips.  That way you can experiment with the various sizes to see which works best for you.  Also gives you a chance to try out their foam tips, which I also like.

May 2, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2,914 of 3,218
I should be receiving my pair next week. Currently looking for a replacement cable. Any recommendations? 
I saw a lot of people suggesting silver OCC litz cable from HPL. Looking at the pictures, it looks quite thick and stiff. 
Would prefer cables from double helix, forza audio works or toxic cables. 

May 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,915 of 3,218
I should be receiving my pair next week. Currently looking for a replacement cable. Any recommendations? 

I saw a lot of people suggesting silver OCC litz cable from HPL. Looking at the pictures, it looks quite thick and stiff. 

Would prefer cables from double helix, forza audio works or toxic cables. 

I am wearing my Headphone Lounge cables as I type this and they are far more supple and soft than the stock cables with a good balance between flexible and floppy.

Edit: please note Headphone Lounge is a separate company from HPL Audio. Ted Allen made all the cables for HPL before breaking off and forming Headphone Lounge.

May 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2,916 of 3,218

I've been happy with the Westone Star Tips.  If you order them, get the "variety pack" that contains various sizes of both their foam "True-fit" and silicone "Star-fit" tips.  That way you can experiment with the various sizes to see which works best for you.  Also gives you a chance to try out their foam tips, which I also like.

Thanks, I'll do that :)

May 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #2,918 of 3,218
I've finished a long-winded review that may get up at headfonia next week. The short: apart from the cable, which I hate, the earphone is nearly perfect in every respect.

I ended up borrowing it for a day or two too long and may have to purchase it because of that (this is Japanese culture) but I'd be very happy to do so if I had the dosh.

Minus the cable for is great. With my favourite neutral filters in place and sound ploughing through the yellow foams, clear, detailed in both top and bottom, and wonderful 3D sense. Layers in mids not up to 334 level, but balance is better.

This is a very serious, very good earphone, which reeks of a quality the universal iem land hasn't met before.

Shigzeo,

Please let us know when your review is up on Headfonia.

May 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #2,920 of 3,218
Completely agree! The yellow foams sound alot more natural and resonance is more pronounced. The olives are definitely darker, thcker and the bass THUDS rather than resonates.

I never had yellow foams before but they are the bees knees. Are these made by shure?

I hear what you hear, so I stock up three boxes of yellow foam tips from Amazon. planning to stay wth 846 + occ silver + dx90 for a quite some time.

May 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2,921 of 3,218
Can someone explain how to trim the triple flange to a double flange? Tried it once and it was too short...
There was once a tutorial with pictures on a german hifi forum but this post is so old, that there are no pictures anymore..

May 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2,922 of 3,218
Is there anybody think SE846 is very source dependent? Because everyone seem describe them dark sounding (than neutral). When I use my MP3 player, it sounded dark with mid bass hump, but when I use my Macbook with DACPort, they sound very tight, a little bright even, brighter than LCD-2 that is for sure. I have not test out other source yet.

May 3, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #2,923 of 3,218
  Is there anybody think SE846 is very source dependent? Because everyone seem describe them dark sounding (than neutral). When I use my MP3 player, it sounded dark with mid bass hump, but when I use my Macbook with DACPort, they sound very tight, a little bright even, brighter than LCD-2 that is for sure. I have not test out other source yet.

Yes, it's very source dependant. To my ears, the Shure SE846 is a natural or balanced sounding IEM straight out of my Retina Macbook Pro or my iPhone 5S. 

With an amplifier that has a high impedance (amplifiers that are intended for headphones and studio monitors), it will sound dark. 

edit: The Shure SE846 are not bright at all. It misses upper frequencies that neutral headphones have. The LCD-2 must be dark sounding then.

May 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,924 of 3,218

perhaps bad impedance mismatch? what is the output impedance of your mp3 player?

May 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #2,925 of 3,218
  Yes, it's very source dependant. To my ears, the Shure SE846 is a natural or balanced sounding IEM straight out of my Retina Macbook Pro or my iPhone 5S. 

With an amplifier that has a high impedance (amplifiers that are intended for headphones and studio monitors), it will sound dark. 

the retina macbook pro has incredibly high output impedance, I remember plugging in multi-ba's into mine and it would get really muddy and dark, I'm surprised it made the SE846 sound natural to you
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back