Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #436 of 3,218
*snore* man this custom/universal debate is so old. did this go on when other high end universals were released? this is a thread about a new high end universal earphone right? that's why I'm here. i'm not interested in getting a custom earphone. if I was then I'd be checking out the relevant threads. wake me up when the "impressions" start rolling in.

May 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #440 of 3,218
Quote:
*snore* man this custom/universal debate is so old. did this go on when other high end universals were released? this is a thread about a new high end universal earphone right? that's why I'm here. i'm not interested in getting a custom earphone. if I was then I'd be checking out the relevant threads. wake me up when the "impressions" start rolling in.

Agree!

popcorn.gif

May 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #441 of 3,218
It's headfi after all. I don't understand the generalities of comparison to customs either. After trying a few cables with mine, it's likely enough change to sway a decision like this so just listen and decide for yourself. No grandiose statements are needed. 
I expect them to be great. My only concern is with the bass quantity of a premier product. I always expect things to be more accurate than enhanced in these price ranges. Perhaps it is. Better a bit too much than too little in an IEM due to bass masking from ambient noise but it needs to be withing reason. Can't wait for a listen.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #442 of 3,218
Quote:

It's mostly jealousy and frustration because it is out of many people's budgets.  I'm sure it sounds awesome and I would love to have it but I just am not in a position to plunk down $1000.  FORTUNATELY, I am very happy with SE535.  Amped with the Westone star tips (laugh if you will) I find little to nothing wrong or that I would change.  Maybe a tad more sub bass...but not for a $600 premium.

Seriously...for anyone that has the SE535...buy the Westone Star tips.  Immediate 20% improvement in clarity, treble and resolution which gets you, perhaps, 1/2 way in between the SE535 with foam olives and the SE846.  Been around here a while and among 40 to 50 IEM buying transactions, this last one is one to remember.  This SE535+amp+star tips combo is the ONLY thing that has made me put my JH5 away.  TF10, UM3X, W3, W4, UE900....none surpassed the JH5 until now.

Straight headphone amp the 4.ai and PFE 232 is easier to 'prefer'. Playing with dac / amp combinations changes the game sure. Do not think the Westone star tips are available in UK yet, at least on their own. Not going to import tips, will wait it out

May 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #443 of 3,218
it is interesting that iem manufacturers are all  coming with high end products. The competition is becoming very tough. It is comparable to me like current  smartphone-android-flagship madness. I mean, at the moment there are a lot of very identical BA designs. Whether this market is growing too hard, I do not know. But I think, not everyone will remain. At the end only successful ones, IMO. Like, Phonak decided to go out of this business. But Shure is "big" enough to give other companies a good run.   

May 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #445 of 3,218
Quote:

Look at the sales ranking for in-ear headphones on Thomann.de: It's Shure and Shure only (Top 10)! The SE846 will be mass produced like any Windows laptop - I have no doubts.

Well, you choosed worst site for poiting out how Shure is selling well. They sell 2 westones, 1 Etymotic and than random german brands, no surprise Shure, only mainstream brand with all models, will be their top seller. Its like saying ipod are best selling mp3 players in Apple store.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #448 of 3,218
Quote:
Well, you choosed worst site for poiting out how Shure is selling well. They sell 2 westones, 1 Etymotic and than random german brands, no surprise Shure, only mainstream brand with all models, will be their top seller. Its like saying ipod are best selling mp3 players in Apple store.

Hahahahaha.

May 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #449 of 3,218
Quote:
id say UE, Shure don't do customs although sensaphonics do custom 'sleeves' for the 535.

As pricey as they can get, I'm kinda thinking customs are a fraction of the revenue for the larger companies though.  Logitech probably sells 100 UE900s for every  custom - UE pioneered the concept so it's in their DNA and probably made sense to continue in that market after the acquisition.

May 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #450 of 3,218
Quote:
it is interesting that iem manufacturers are all  coming with high end products. The competition is becoming very tough.

Am with the more balanced voices in the thread. Perception is a funny thing as to what is perceived to justify its pricing. If smaller Asian players come out with 1k universal IEM and can remain in business then why on earth would industry heavyweights not get in on the action. It has been years since Shure have released a model. The SE535 has mostly been overtaken in the view of many. The tech behind the conception of the SE846 is interesting reading but ultimately walking the walk is all that matters. If the reviews are positive the negativity will melt away. Shure's global distribution network is a huge positive because unlike other 1k IEM there will be an opportunity to demo for everyone. Your FitEars and Tralucent's of this world should be worried by that if the SE846 can back up the talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back