Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #168 of 3,218
They just added them to their line for coupons... :frowning2:

Quote:
If you don't have a coupon, BUY NOW and enter Coupon code: SAVE5 for 5% savings. Only 1 coupon per order. Not valid with SE846, Grado, Klipsch & Sennheiser.

Guess I wont be buying these from them :p

May 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #169 of 3,218
Beautiful x-ray clear shell photographs.

Exactly as I called it. The IEM game has moved on considerably since the SE535 launched and Shure needed to respond with all guns blazing. Talk it cheap, best wait for reviews to see what Shure now bring

May 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #170 of 3,218
A few random thoughts

--  Gotta love the hype quickly building up

--  Gotta love the complaints about the price

--  Gotta love those claiming that for $1,000 a pair of customs is the only way to go.

--  Love the usual marketing strategy re: price: "List Price:$1,399.00 Sale Price: $999.99 You Save: 28.52%", and on top of that you get an extra 10% off. So, from $1,400 to $900 that's got to be a very, very serious bargain, that's $500 off!!

--  Can't wait for the ER-4S purists to declare the Shure SE846 a bass monster because if a phone does not have the FR of the ER-4S, it just ain't good enough, or good at all.

--  Can't wait to see people describe the Shure's 'enhanced' bass as "fun".

--  Can't wait for Westone's new $1,000 universal IEM flagship.

--  Can't wait for UE's new $1,000 universal IEM flagship.

--  Can't wait for someone to do a 3-way shootout between the SE846 and the SR-009 & Monoprice 8320.

--  A shame Shure are still using the pretty dreadful swivel mechanism / connectors — always rather awkward and somewhat time-consuming to get the earpieces in place (too much fiddling even after the event), with the left one never quite staying firmly in place (and I'm someone who hardly ever has fit issues with the many IEMs I've tried).

--  A shame Shure are apparently still using the same seemingly indestructible cable used in the SE535 / SE215 — a cable that's VERY stiff & microphonic. Always found Westone-type cables to be some of the best in the industry, just great flexibility & complete lack of microphonics (though possibly the best removable cable I've seen is that found on the older Sennheiser IE8 (apparently the IE80's cable wasn't quite as good, and the $1,000 IE800 cable leaves quite a bit to be desired).

--  The SE846 looks great on the pics shown, much like the SE535 always did — unfortunately, the SE535s in the flesh always looked to me (and others around me) like hearing aids. Westone, Earsonics, Shure, FitEar, Heir Universals, Westone/Shure-type IEMs, as well as all customs I've seen—including my very own Westone ES3X—, all look like hearing aids… just...er... more-cool-looking hearing aids.

A question:

Whose idea was it to name this Shure product SE846? Already someone's called it SE864, perhaps some later will refer to it as SE684, SE648, SE468 or SE486. Why not SE1000, SE999.99 (or SE1399)?

May 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #172 of 3,218
Quote:
A few random thoughts

--  Can't wait for the ER-4S purists to declare the Shure SE846 a bass monster because if a phone does not have the FR of the ER-4S, it just ain't good enough, or good at all.

--  Can't wait to see people describe the Shure's 'enhanced' bass as "fun".

--  Can't wait for Westone's new $1,000 universal IEM flagship.

--  Can't wait for UE's new $1,000 universal IEM flagship.

--  Can't wait for someone to do a 3-way shootout between the SE846 and the SR-009 & Monoprice 8320.

A question:

Whose idea was it to name this Shure product SE846? Already someone's called it SE864, perhaps some later will refer to it as SE684, SE648, SE468 or SE486. Why not SE1000, SE999.99 (or SE1399)?

I LOL'ed!!!
Hi Music!

(maybe I should quote you completely before you change it back to a "."!!! :wink: Are you still doing that!? lol -- long time no see...)

May 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #173 of 3,218
music_4321, good point. Everyone must have noticed the latest fashion and will be bringing out their own headline 1000 £$¢ universal IEM
ksc75smile.gif

May 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #175 of 3,218
Loved my old 530s (although eventually tired of the sound), only just seen this and now wondering if I've made the right decision with my Heir 5.0 arriving in the morning.

Either way, experience tells me that buying Shure's at launch rather than a few months down the line is a good waste of a couple hundred bucks...

May 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #176 of 3,218
Quote:
With such a steep price people are going to think
it has to be revolutionary and something very special
or they are just curious if the price is "justified".

If I'm about to spend 1000$ on an IEM it won't be
a universal IEM for shure. :wink:

Why exactly not?

May 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #177 of 3,218
Quote:
Jude always has everything before everyone.

Why do some of you sound so surprised? We're used to paying more for our headphone than for our car, we're Head-Fi. And you know your money has nothing to do with the quantity of materials / size of the headphone your buying (the analogy "oh I can buy a fullsize headphone for that price" doesn't mean anything). It's all about the invaluable technological prowess, this is what you want.

Plus AKG and Sennheiser already have their ~1000$ universal fit IEM. I think the time is right for Shure to jump in and compete, their SE535 model being both successful and dated, relatively.

IEMs have barely started to bloom, expect to see more technological advances coming. You know you don't have to buy everything at first sight. Your are the master of your wallet, not the contrary. Commit or save for later.

*NOT SUBSCRIBED*

In all fairness you mustn't forget to mention FitEar!

May 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #178 of 3,218
Quote:
--  Love the usual marketing strategy re: price: "List Price:$1,399.00 Sale Price: $999.99 You Save: 28.52%", and on top of that you get an extra 10% off. So, from $1,400 to $900 that's got to be a very, very serious bargain, that's $500 off!!

Agreed, $500 off something overpriced by $1000 still makes it overpriced, although admittedly less so. 

As an ER4S purist I can appreciate extra bass for a different flavor, but anything over 6dB for me is pushing it, and ~10dB or more is just not in the realm of accuracy. These sound like they could be pushing that 10dB boost, but we'll see. Having different filters is definitely a plus. It'd be nice if Etymotic did the same with the ER4.

May 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #180 of 3,218
Hey Jude, you should chime in and give us a brief comparison of sound between these shures and the fllagship senn/akg and the tg!334 :wink:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back