Shure SE535 vs. Phonak Audeo 232 vs. Westone UM3X vs. Earsonics SM3/SM3v2
Feb 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jjb3

100+ Head-Fier
Disclaimer: I own only the 535s, and have not heard the others, but as part of buyer's remorse I started to consider whether the other 3 would be better. Based on my intensive research, here is a summary of what I learned for others to add to or learn from. Call it after-the-fact justification for my purchase of the 535s over the others, or call it a summary of the available literature, or call it what you will, here it is. Correct/add/debate/agree where you want so I can fully understand the differences.

535s
Natrual-sounding, with great mids/vocals. Mid-centric, but great depth and extension on bass, and great extension on treble. Some say rolled off, but I disagree. Bass is there when it needs to be, at times impactful, but it rests nicely in the background. Treble is sparkly and bright. Very detailed, but musical so not analytical. Separation of instruments could be better.

232s
Very similar to the 535s in all respects, except for the bass. Bass is not as deep nor as detailed. Mids tend to be analaytical and not as lush as on the 535s at times.

UM3Xs
Separation is great, very detailed, very articulate. But tends to be analytical and not musical or fun a lot of the time. Some say this one is veiled and that the mids sound too forward/artificial. But generally the mids are great, as good as the 535s. The veil comes from enhanced lower mids and upper bass. Many call this a dark phone, but the bass is very articulate, present, and not at all lacking. Haven't been able to find much on the treble in this phone, though.  

SM3s/SM3sV2
Very similar to UM3x, but slightly more veiled and bassy. Mids not as good as UM3xs or 535s.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 5
not only do the shures have a slightly rolled off treble issue that can be solved with after-market cables.... they have unimpressive dynamics .. especially in comparison to quarter priced counterparts like the dba-02/b2  or half-priced re 272s...
the shures are more of an laid back slow music experts that have musically presented details ..

they lose clarity with faster passages of music ... if you listen to jazz recordings you can easily notice how the other sets i mentioned perform better than the shures .. especially the dba-02/b2 kick butt for jazz ..

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 5
I would disagree the SE535 has great extension on bass and treble.  I think it sounds very constrained and reserved.

As far as UM3X and any other IEM for that matter, EQ is your friend.  Synergy must be right with your player and amp but UM3X with treble booster is about as good as it gets.  It just "works" because it is one of the greatest engineered IEM's on the market being able to accept EQ.  Very malleable....

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 5
i had to read this over, until i saw you only own the 535, i havent heard the 535 but i can garanty the 232 has the best bass out there. not as in a big subwoofer, but because it sounds so dynamic and clean.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Disclaimer: I own only the 535s, and have not heard the others, but as part of buyer's remorse I started to consider whether the other 3 would be better. Based on my intensive research, here is a summary of what I learned for others to add to or learn from. Call it after-the-fact justification for my purchase of the 535s over the others, or call it a summary of the available literature, or call it what you will, here it is. Correct/add/debate/agree where you want so I can fully understand the differences.

232s
Very similar to the 535s in all respects, except for the bass. Bass is not as deep nor as detailed. Mids tend to be analaytical and not as lush as on the 535s at times.

Uhh... Maybe rephrase and correct things around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back