Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #2,191 of 4,022

Quote:
Well I've switched over to the Music cable for my 535's.  Just can't get used to the thick kevlar cable.  I'll tell you what though, if I was going into a war zone I'd probably take those kevlar cables :)  But sitting here at my desk I don't really need that durable a cable...

The music control piece is still a little annoying though, but I do like that I can tell left from right easier.

Where did you get that cable???

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #2,192 of 4,022

Quote:
Forgot about Buckethead?? That is not good.
Listen to the Electric Dreams album. good stuff

Can;t find it. Do you mean Electric tears?

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #2,194 of 4,022
Jun 30, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #2,196 of 4,022
I have owned the SE535 twice and think it is a fine IEM. 

Between my first and second times...I purchased the JH5 and I can say without any doubt the JH5 bestss the SE535 in virtually every category.  YES, every categorey (treble, midrange, bass and soundstage).  If you are going to spend $450, buy the JH5 you wont regret it.  Search around the forums and try to find even one negative comment about JH5.

It IS the best IEM (universal or custom) bang for buck at $400, period.  This doesn't even boil down to sound preference.  The JH5 beats all $400 triple driver universals as well as W4 handidly. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #2,197 of 4,022
Well the thing is, not everybody can just jump in to get custom IEMs.

You need to pay extra and go through hassles to get impressions (and not everybody in the world can get impressions easily for reasonable prices, and reasonable shipping costs to JH).  Contact JH, then sent to JH, wait, try on, and if they don't fit nicely it's re-doing that all again for time and money.

Another thing is the risk in terms of resale value.  Universal IEMs are much easier to sell, while customs you probably will lose much more in case you end up unlucky where you just can't get a good fit (and yes I've seen unlucky people ending up selling customs for way, way less than what was paid).

They're simply not easy and assured as universal IEMs.  And when it comes to universals, the SE535 is one of the best.  In that sense, buying SE535 is not a waste of $400.

People who go to customs are pure audiophiles in my view, I'm sure you get better sound out of them but it's a trade off between the extra costs, hassles, risk and resale value.  Although I may get customs eventually, at the moment I feel the SE535 and my portable rig is way more than enough for sound quality when listening outside, while walking or travelling.  No time to concentrate enough in music.  For crisp clear detail and soundstage I just use the T1 at home..

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #2,198 of 4,022

Quote:
I have owned the SE535 twice and think it is a fine IEM. 

Between my first and second times...I purchased the JH5 and I can say without any doubt the JH5 bestss the SE535 in virtually every category.  YES, every categorey (treble, midrange, bass and soundstage).  If you are going to spend $450, buy the JH5 you wont regret it.  Search around the forums and try to find even one negative comment about JH5.

It IS the best IEM (universal or custom) bang for buck at $400, period.  This doesn't even boil down to sound preference.  The JH5 beats all $400 triple driver universals as well as W4 handidly. 

Spro are the mids pronounced as with the 535"s

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #2,199 of 4,022

Quote:
Well the thing is, not everybody can just jump in to get custom IEMs.

You need to pay extra and go through hassles to get impressions (and not everybody in the world can get impressions easily for reasonable prices, and reasonable shipping costs to JH).  Contact JH, then sent to JH, wait, try on, and if they don't fit nicely it's re-doing that all again for time and money.

Another thing is the risk in terms of resale value.  Universal IEMs are much easier to sell, while customs you probably will lose much more in case you end up unlucky where you just can't get a good fit (and yes I've seen unlucky people ending up selling customs for way, way less than what was paid).

They're simply not easy and assured as universal IEMs.  And when it comes to universals, the SE535 is one of the best.  In that sense, buying SE535 is not a waste of $400.

People who go to customs are pure audiophiles in my view, I'm sure you get better sound out of them but it's a trade off between the extra costs, hassles, risk and resale value.  Although I may get customs eventually, at the moment I feel the SE535 and my portable rig is way more than enough for sound quality when listening outside, while walking or travelling.  No time to concentrate enough in music.  For crisp clear detail and soundstage I just use the T1 at home..

A bit touchy? No one said 535s were a waste, just that they find the JH5 better sounding. For somebody that's willing to take the time to mod his ipod, experiment with recable and carry an amp, your view on customs is surprising. I think all are great but the JH5 is just a fantastic and fun phone that's well worth the trouble if you find them convenient enough in use which would be my only issue with customs. There certainly isn't more cost here compared to the 535 or at least it's in the same range with shipping and impressions. If you prefer a 535, that's great as it's an excellent product but 535s don't just pop in either. I thought the 530s easier to install. It wouldn't be difficult to argue that 535s are overkill for a portable rig too and I don't really understand why something else at a similar price would be considered more so. I was just telling cliff in a PM yesterday that these expensive IEMs are probably overkill for DAPs in general but guess what, all in this discussion have exactly that.

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #2,200 of 4,022
Okay yes I was touchy, my apologies.  I understand where opinions are coming from.

What I was trying to say was although JH5s are an alternative in this price range for sure (and yes they must sound better than SE535), there are reasons why universals seems still more popular than customs.  Getting JHs in the states must be much easier too, I'm jealous as it's difficult and costs more for a guy like me in New Zealand to bite the bullet and go to customs (you should add another $100 atleast in your equations).

I admit popularity of customs seems to be increasing, and it is definately a choice for me in future.

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #2,201 of 4,022
Resale value IS an issue with customs. You can say you're never selling the JH5, but if they bring out the next best thing at the same price bracket, or you just fancy an upgrade, what else are you going to do with them? I've heard of custom moulds as eartips for higher end universals. Not sure how they compare to the lower end customs, but given the three/four way drivers vs just the two, it could do more favourably than one might think.

Anyway, the hassle of getting impressions done and then the resale factor is what's turning me off from customs, as I tend to buy sell phones all the time. Not sure settling on a custom mould would be ideal for me. I'm one of those buyers who gets the impulse buy itch and wants the next best thing all the time. Customs in that respect can be a bit tricky. But I do see the value in them.

Saying that, not sure if having a completely perfect seal is sensible on the streets/underground, but at least people will be less inclined to rob you. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2,202 of 4,022
Customs require choices just like any other IEM. If one wants less isolation, don't do it. If resale is important which I honestly dont relate to if you can afford $500+ IEMs, don't do it. If you can afford to lose $200-300 in the case you would sell and like isolation, go ahaed. I don't relate to how someone that can't aford to lose a couple hundred can afford to buy something twice that for this purpose.

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #2,203 of 4,022

Quote:
I was wrong. Yes that album

Got the Electric Tears, What a nice surprise. I was looking for something similar to that. While different and more acoustic, ever hear of Michael Hedges?

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #2,204 of 4,022

Quote:
Customs require choices just like any other IEM. If one wants less isolation, don't do it. If resale is important which I honestly dont relate to if you can afford $500+ IEMs, don't do it. If you can afford to lose $200-300 in the case you would sell and like isolation, go ahaed. I don't relate to how someone that can't aford to lose a couple hundred can afford to buy something twice that for this purpose.

THis is my take on theh custom route as well. Although who knows it may change someday, but 1. I really like messing around with tips, and 2. I have very good luck with fit and form on everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back