Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #3,616 of 4,022
Joined the SE535 club today.  Really enjoying them relative to the SE315 and Westone W10.  Will be using then on my daily train commute to/from work and around the house. On the commute, the iPhone 6 and around the house / travelling, the A&K Jr. I already prefer the Westone Star Orange Silicone tips.  As far as the cable goes, I'm using the Shure iPhone cable but am already planning to get the ADL cable for them {cheap and of high quality - I have an ADL cable on my HD800 and really enjoy it}
Well, Day 1, over and out. 
cool.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #3,617 of 4,022
Hey ... a couple questions for anybody who might be able to comment ...

I recently broke a nozzle off of the right ear piece on my 535's (I was visiting "Knobb Creek" over the weekend and accidentally stepped on it)... LOL .. I sent it to Shure and they are sending me a new right side driver/ear piece for $85.00 bucks (a really fair deal for those of us out of warranty).

I'm curious, though...

Do I need to worry about my two year old left driver being somehow out of sync or mismatched with the new right driver they are sending me?

I purchased a brand new pair off Amazon Prime with one day shipping so I could use them while I wait for my new right side driver to arrive some time next week (will be returning these to Amazon, BTW) and when I took the right driver from the new set and put it on my old cable with the 2 year old left driver, I could hear no noticeable difference from the completely new kit. So I'm assuming there is nothing to be concerned about in regards to using the new right side driver that Shure is sending me.

I notice that the date code on the new set I ordered for temporary usage was the same for both right and left (165) and so it got me to thinking that they might be some how individually "matched" at the factory.

Any comments?

Also, another word about Shure's repair policy ... sure the warranty is only 2 years but as long as you can exchange your damaged old driver for the new one, it will only set you back $85.00 per side.  Essentially, this is a life time replacement policy for a very reasonable amount versus buying a brand new set (over $500 typically). Pretty sweet deal... it's no Koss level sweet, but still pretty sweet.

:)

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #3,618 of 4,022
  Hey ... a couple questions for anybody who might be able to comment ...

I recently broke a nozzle off of the right ear piece on my 535's (I was visiting "Knobb Creek" over the weekend and accidentally stepped on it)... LOL .. I sent it to Shure and they are sending me a new right side driver/ear piece for $85.00 bucks (a really fair deal for those of us out of warranty).

I'm curious, though...

Do I need to worry about my two year old left driver being somehow out of sync or mismatched with the new right driver they are sending me?

I purchased a brand new pair off Amazon Prime with one day shipping so I could use them while I wait for my new right side driver to arrive some time next week (will be returning these to Amazon, BTW) and when I took the right driver from the new set and put it on my old cable with the 2 year old left driver, I could hear no noticeable difference from the completely new kit. So I'm assuming there is nothing to be concerned about in regards to using the new right side driver that Shure is sending me.

I notice that the date code on the new set I ordered for temporary usage was the same for both right and left (165) and so it got me to thinking that they might be some how individually "matched" at the factory.

Any comments?

Also, another word about Shure's repair policy ... sure the warranty is only 2 years but as long as you can exchange your damaged old driver for the new one, it will only set you back $85.00 per side.  Essentially, this is a life time replacement policy for a very reasonable amount versus buying a brand new set (over $500 typically). Pretty sweet deal... it's no Koss level sweet, but still pretty sweet.

I think Shure's warranty is one of the best things about Shure. Its part of the reason why I've so often tried Etymotic, Shure and Sennheiser products... If you find one you like, the initial investment cost may be high... but you're really getting a lifetime warranty. I can't tell you how many people have had a decade old Shure product and upgraded to the recent iteration for a very reasonable fee. 

Personally, I'd try the driver. If you like what you hear, keep it! Worse comes to worse, you could order a new left channel and keep the old left channel in reserve in case you ever need it. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,619 of 4,022

Personally, I'd try the driver. If you like what you hear, keep it! Worse comes to worse, you could order a new left channel and keep the old left channel in reserve in case you ever need it. 

I thought about that but they require that you exchange your "broken" ear piece for the new one.  Still not an issue though as I'd just snap the nozzle and pay for the exchange/replacent..

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3,623 of 4,022
Ok, so what would be ideal IEM to use? I'm wanting a tube sound and am going to get more tubes latter on

If you're going to use tubes with an iem, I'd go with the etymotic ER4S. It's a 100 ohm, which will be more able to handle high-power amps. Its also ridiculously neutral so you'd be able to hear the distortion you're introducing with the iem. 

In general though, I think you'd be better off to find a warm, non-neutral iem and use it unamped. The SE535 may have a tube sound to you. Similarly the Westone W40. But especially the SE535. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #3,624 of 4,022
Not sure I agree with this.  I plugged my SE535 into the McIntosh MXA70 {=MHA100} which has gobs of power and it made them sing like nothing else.  Absolutely amazing!  Also run them with the iPhone6 and AK Jr but the McIntosh is pure magic.

Quote:
I think the Valhalla is too powerful for a balanced armature; they are low impedance... But even more...why? The se535 has such a lush sound already and are so easy to drive?

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #3,625 of 4,022
Thank you, I looked at the etymotic ER4S and bestbuy said there 27ohm?
Would the se535 work with a tube amp?
If you're going to use tubes with an iem, I'd go with the etymotic ER4S. It's a 100 ohm, which will be more able to handle high-power amps. Its also ridiculously neutral so you'd be able to hear the distortion you're introducing with the iem. 

In general though, I think you'd be better off to find a warm, non-neutral iem and use it unamped. The SE535 may have a tube sound to you. Similarly the Westone W40. But especially the SE535. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #3,626 of 4,022

Are you worried about too much power screwing with the balanced armatures? I don't know if that's a real issue or not, but I've heard it mentioned many times. 

Thank you, I looked at the etymotic ER4S and bestbuy said there 27ohm?
Would the se535 work with a tube amp?

The ER4S is definitely a 100 Ohm iem; the ER4P is 27 ohm. There is actually an adapter that will transfer the ER4P to the ER4S. 

The SE535 will definitely work with a tube amp! But I'd listen to one first... and see if it already has a tube amp sound! 

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #3,627 of 4,022
Not with the McIntosh. First, there's impedence matching and second, according to the meters, I never go above 50mw before it gets too loud for me.
Trust your ears :)

Quote:

Are you worried about too much power screwing with the balanced armatures? I don't know if that's a real issue or not, but I've heard it mentioned many times.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #3,628 of 4,022
This is just another little bit of info regarding Shure Inc's handling of my recent need to replace my right driver...

Apparently, even if you don't have a receipt, Shure techs will read the manufacture date code on your SE535 and if it was manufactured less than two years past, they will still repair/replace it for free.

This rocks.

I had initially provided my credit card information with the return/exchange of my right driver with the broken nozzle, not having a receipt and had just gone ahead and made up my mind to pay the very reasonable $85.00 replacement fee.  But I called Shure service today to get an update/tracking info and off the top of my head asked about the charges and if everything went through okay and the guy told me that the replacement was done for *no charge* as the manufacture date code on the outside of the driver was within the past two years.

So awesome.

Anyway, the manufacture date code on your SE535 is right before the nozzle begins, as shown here, on my left side (that mates with the right side that I sent in):

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure the 2 indicates February and the 4 indicates 2014 ... 

The temporary set I just purchased on Amazon Prime this week has "165" ... which makes sense as it would indicated Jan/2015 manufacture date.

So anyway, even though I didn't send a receipt and even submitted my credit card info and indicated that I intended to pay for the replacement (there is a check box on the RMA form) ... they still serviced it under warranty due to the date code showing a manufacture date of Feb 2014 .... (the Shure tech on the phone confirmed this outright) ...

So another great Shure service story... and if your worried about not having a receipt and need to RMA your 535's .. just tell them you lost your receipt but that the date code on the IEM shows a manufacture date within the past two years and you should be fine. Or else, do what I did, just send them in without a receipt and let them read the manufacture date themselves ...

Fyi.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #3,629 of 4,022
This is just another little bit of info regarding Shure Inc's handling of my recent need to replace my right driver...

Apparently, even if you don't have a receipt, Shure techs will read the manufacture date code on your SE535 and if it was manufactured less than two years past, they will still repair/replace it for free.

This rocks.

I had initially provided my credit card information with the return/exchange of my right driver with the broken nozzle, not having a receipt and had just gone ahead and made up my mind to pay the very reasonable $85.00 replacement fee.  But I called Shure service today to get an update/tracking info and off the top of my head asked about the charges and if everything went through okay and the guy told me that the replacement was done for *no charge* as the manufacture date code on the outside of the driver was within the past two years.

So awesome.

Anyway, the manufacture date code on your SE535 is right before the nozzle begins, as shown here, on my left side (that mates with the right side that I sent in):

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure the 2 indicates February and the 4 indicates 2014 ... 

The temporary set I just purchased on Amazon Prime this week has "165" ... which makes sense as it would indicated Jan/2015 manufacture date.

So anyway, even though I didn't send a receipt and even submitted my credit card info and indicated that I intended to pay for the replacement (there is a check box on the RMA form) ... they still serviced it under warranty due to the date code showing a manufacture date of Feb 2014 .... (the Shure tech on the phone confirmed this outright) ...

So another great Shure service story... and if your worried about not having a receipt and need to RMA your 535's .. just tell them you lost your receipt but that the date code on the IEM shows a manufacture date within the past two years and you should be fine. Or else, do what I did, just send them in without a receipt and let them read the manufacture date themselves ...

Fyi.

Oh yeah. Good story. And remember, everyone, if you want your other driver and housing replaced, just willfully break it in order to defraud Shure - in spite of their already apparent overwhelming generosity. And be sure to "rent" Shure products from Amazon when you have to spend a week earphoneless because Shure is fixing your earphones without charging you. I've been reading your posts with increasing levels of outrage. I'm surprised a person would be so publicly transparent re: defrauding a company he's simultaneously lauding for their generosity.

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #3,630 of 4,022
Oh yeah. Good story. And remember, everyone, if you want your other driver and housing replaced, just willfully break it in order to defraud Shure - in spite of their already apparent overwhelming generosity. And be sure to "rent" Shure products from Amazon when you have to spend a week earphoneless because Shure is fixing your earphones without charging you. I've been reading your posts with increasing levels of outrage. I'm surprised a person would be so publicly transparent re: defrauding a company he's simultaneously lauding for their generosity.

I haven't willfully broken anything and nor have I defrauded anyone... and should you chose to project such accusations on to my person because of my previous comments, then that's entirely your issue (and in fact, personal right).

And I feel no guilt whatsoever in using Amazon Prime in such a fashion; as the employee at Microcenter told me when I bought my ROG Swift monitor (a very expensive monitor), "Just go ahead and test drive it; consider it a try before you buy" ... I feel precisely the same about Amazon Prime and gladly pay the $100.00 bucks a year for such "test drives"/trials...

Shoot man ... I can't count how many items I have purchased on Amazon Prime, simply to try a device/product out.  Some of these I've kept, but most I simply returned as my original intent was simply to demo the product; I don't feel this is a questionably moral/immoral habit at all. I'm about to order a $500ish DAC/AMP combo unit for this exact reason in a few days; I'm pretty sure it will be going back but I still want to hear it and so hot damn and thanks, Amazon Prime for giving me that opportunity.  

Otherwise...

I suggest a therapist or even just an honest cry/conversation with a dear friend if your so "outraged" by my actions; I'm quite okay with such, myself and I slept really well last night.

On another note, I completely appreciate the policies and service of Shure Inc.. I've used/purchased their microphones for decades, headphones, too.

Once, many years ago, I got one of the silicone tips included with the old Shure E4C's stuck in my ear canal, it took me and a roommate about an hour to get out and I was really a hairs breadth away from going to the ER.  The next day, I emailed a humorous letter to the service department asking if they'd send me some new nozzles (the one with the ridge that prevents the tip from coming off so easy) ... I explained what had happened and that everything turned out okay and that I'd like to find some way to get the newer nozzles for my E4C. A few minutes later I got a letter back asking for my purchase receipt, which I immediately sent and then I got another letter back saying "your new earphones are in the mail".

As it turns out, they sent me a brand new, unopened SE530 kit instead of just the new nozzles for the E4C's ... pretty great gesture, if you ask me.

And so no ... I haven't broken anything in order to purchase a new thing at a lower price, but had there been some horrible imbalance with the new driver vs the older driver?  I might have. Or even better, I'd have contacted the company and explained the horrible imabalance and then simply purchased a new driver for that reason (while sending in the older one as exchange).

Anyway ...

Keep an eye on that rage issue, mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back