Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #3,587 of 4,022
How do these work with iPhone 5s using Spotify premium or Tidal, or ipod Classic 7th Gen with lossless files?  These are on Massdrop right now and I'm interested in a really good IEM, but some concern they might be too good for iPhone or iPod and reveal their deficiencies.  If these need a dac/amp to sound great, id probably just use them at home and would likely prefer my over-ear headphones.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #3,588 of 4,022
  How do these work with iPhone 5s using Spotify premium or Tidal, or ipod Classic 7th Gen with lossless files?  These are on Massdrop right now and I'm interested in a really good IEM, but some concern they might be too good for iPhone or iPod and reveal their deficiencies.  If these need a dac/amp to sound great, id probably just use them at home and would likely prefer my over-ear headphones.

i don't like them with any ipod or iphone i've tried ..

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3,594 of 4,022

I replaced the Shure case for SE535 and had the same warning in the package. Go figure!

the amount of polluted things that surround us and can cause cancer is countless ... plus i am a smoker .. so the last thing that concerns me is shure se3535 is carcinogenic or not
ph34r.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #3,595 of 4,022
so i finally took the plunge and bought a pair of 535s from a fellow head-fier.  after a week of listening, i am happy as can be, they sound beautiful; exceeded my expectations.  since they were used, i only have a couple of the tips (grey soft-flex and tri-flange).  the tri-flange seems to sound the best but is rather uncomfortable, even with cutting off some of the stem.  soft-flex is more comfortable but seems to not isolate as well.

if anyone else out there has some extra tips that they are not planning to use, i would love to try them out to see if i can get a better fit.  Medium black foam and the yellow foam are what i am most interested in.  Would be glad to paypal a few dollars to cover the cost and S&H.  PM me if you have anything. 

now i need to re-rip all of my music...

My tip (huehue,pun) is to use the triple flanges. At first i also thought they were crazy uncomfortable, but it seemed like they softenee up anf now they are the most comfortable and best sounding tips for me. Also learning how to best fit themprobably helps a lot with comfort, and try sucking on them so they are a little moist, they slide in super easy then.

The biggest benefit of the trips beside isolation and sound is that they stay in the same spot and doesnt move from cable movement.

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3,598 of 4,022
My tip (huehue,pun) is to use the triple flanges. At first i also thought they were crazy uncomfortable, but it seemed like they softenee up anf now they are the most comfortable and best sounding tips for me. Also learning how to best fit themprobably helps a lot with comfort, and try sucking on them so they are a little moist, they slide in super easy then.

The biggest benefit of the trips beside isolation and sound is that they stay in the same spot and doesnt move from cable movement.

i have been trying to love the triple flanges for all of the reasons you mention.  they definitely have the best sound, but i tend to sit there noticing how uncomfortable they are in one ear. (for some reason, my left ear canal is quite a bit smaller than my right; it is a deformity than has never impacted my life until now)

Perhaps i will give them another shot, or try the Westone tips as adgaps mentioned...

thanks for the advice

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #3,599 of 4,022
I had the 530s and loved them and found the largest foam tips to work the best for me, partly b/c they are such a pain to change and but they seam to seal the best and I have a fairly small ear canal.  The stock rubber tips hurt after an hour of use but the foam seem to work well as far as comfort.  I am sure there are better tips that would produce better sound but I HATE changing these tips so I just settle!

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,600 of 4,022
WoT incoming, lots of rambling and not a lot of structure:

I ordered a bunch of filters/dampers from mouser for my 535's! I bought 330 ohms (supposedly makes them sound exactly like the 535 limited edition, more cold and detailed sound), 680 (should be same as original), 1000 ohm, 2200 ohm and a pair of 3300 ohms.
Stolen picture:

where to buy: http://se.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=knowles+dampers

I've settled for the 1000ohm, it dampens the mids a little and makes the sound a little bit warmer, now i feel like anyone can hear them right of the bat and think they sound great. When they were so mid heavy i feel like you had to adjust to that sound and before that it sounded pretty crappy, even after adjusting some songs were extremely harsh and almost painful, taylor swifts music in flac for example. I like this because before i had to use eq to make them a little more v-shaped cus i thought they sounded "boxed in". The EQ (spotify clarity option) made the sound a lot crisper and basically sounded way better when compared to eachother. However this option also made the vocals a little thin, so this 1000 ohm filter is like in between original and this eq i had. the sound is not as mid harsh but the vocals are still pretty close and thick. this little bit warmer sound is basically imo a lot better for most music the original is better at some but only by a little bit which is why i use it these filters. they sound just like any normal earphones, except way better at everything.

i saw some recommendations of the 3700 and 2200 ohm though. This seems crazy to me as i thought the 1000 ohms was right on the edge of too warm and undetailed. Maybe those people use foamies cus i feel like with foamies the sound is less warm, especially the yellow foamies.

If you want more detail, mid and treble you can try the 330 ohms, (havent tried them myself yet, but i wanna). All and all, i think you should try changing the filters if you use an eq or feel like you're not perfectly happy with the sound. It's super cheap and a great upgrade. It's also great to have spares if the filter gets clogged or damaged.

here's a great read about the subject along with a bunch of graphs of how the frequency response changes with the different filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colfax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i have been trying to love the triple flanges for all of the reasons you mention.  they definitely have the best sound, but i tend to sit there noticing how uncomfortable they are in one ear. (for some reason, my left ear canal is quite a bit smaller than my right; it is a deformity than has never impacted my life until now)

Perhaps i will give them another shot, or try the Westone tips as adgaps mentioned...

thanks for the advice

I have the exact same problem, it feels like i have a pimple or something in the ear thats really sensitive. But for me it pretty much went away completely after a few weeks. I removed them though and put them back so now they are a little painful again until they adapt to my ears. One problem is that in the tight ear i cant push it in as deep which kind of annoys me. It looks and feel better when they are laying perfectly inside of the ear and not sticking out a little bit. Not sure if cutting them down shorter would help. Maybe i'll just remove the top flange on the left one.

ALSO, do you guys know where to buy triple flanges that are pretty much identical to the stock ones? Would be nice to have a few so i can cut and try different things.

They are pretty easy to drive. I run mine straight out of my galaxy note 4, mostly spotify premium and some flac files. But i dont really notice a great difference in the flac files. Maybe cus the 535's doesnt have the best treble? Or cus im a noob. I've tried plugging them into my surround receiver a few times but i cant hear an improvement. Maybe cus it's to cheap, im not good at amps and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back