Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
May 26, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3,571 of 4,022
So would you recommend I run them through my PC over night then? Or do you mean once my ears become accustomed to the sound?

I have a pair of x2's, which I really enjoy as a general purpose headphone, they have sent me on a serch for better, more enjoyable sound. So since I needed something for isolation and portability, from what I have read the 535 seem ideal from a price and sound POV.

As for in ears I have only had apple ear buds and some others that came with my Samsung phone, so these will be my 1st decent pair.

May 26, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #3,572 of 4,022
So would you recommend I run them through my PC over night then? Or do you mean once my ears become accustomed to the sound?

I have a pair of x2's, which I really enjoy as a general purpose headphone, they have sent me on a serch for better, more enjoyable sound. So since I needed something for isolation and portability, from what I have read the 535 seem ideal from a price and sound POV.

As for in ears I have only had apple ear buds and some others that came with my Samsung phone, so these will be my 1st decent pair.

Yes I mean once you get involved with their sound ... About the burning in .. Yes I found shure do benefit from burn in too ... Combination of shure and your brain burning in too :D

May 31, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #3,574 of 4,022
Since getting the SE535 in April my Westone UM1 has been getting less listening time from me hehe.

Kinda expected since not only in SE535 obviously far better, but the Shure is my very first top-tier IEM, and the jump from 1 to 3 BA was a really big leap in my audiophile experience. So much that the first time I listened to the SE535 I was genuinely shocked at how different and superior it sounds like compared to any other IEM I've ever listened to (with the exception of Westone 4).

Anyway, I have two amps, a C&C XO2 (200-dollar something Chinese amp)  and an O2. Though I know the SE535 doesn't really need an amp most of the time, well I thought, why not? I often use them with the Shure actually.

XO2 + SE535 - with all switches off, the bass got some slight boost without sounding any darker than without the amp. The mids were slightly pushed back, but remained sweet and clear. The highs also got some slight improvement, but not too extended. Soundstage also increased a bit.

O2 + SE535 - very unforgiving combo. Better instrument separation and clarity, less background noise, and the mids sounds slightly thicker. I feel the soundstage is bigger with the XO2 though.

Source is Cowon J3, no presets.

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #3,575 of 4,022
  Been using my 535 LTD-J for awhile now and absolutely loving it. I wonder where to next? 

Do I take it a step further and get the 846 or should I jump ship to the 'darker' side of IE800? 

Need something that will work great with my mediocre portable setup i.e. plugged straight into phones/iPod/laptop. 

You jump to the darker side,buy the ie800,buy a synergistic dap to go with that high end iem (Cayin N6) and say bye bye to headfi,until you want to jump to high end custom iems like Heir10A or kaizer k10 in which case you will already be divorced by your girlfriend/wife.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #3,576 of 4,022
  Been using my 535 LTD-J for awhile now and absolutely loving it. I wonder where to next? 

Do I take it a step further and get the 846 or should I jump ship to the 'darker' side of IE800? 

Need something that will work great with my mediocre portable setup i.e. plugged straight into phones/iPod/laptop. 

I ordered EarSonics Velvets. Haven't received them yet, but I've heard great things about them. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #3,577 of 4,022
Im running my newly bought shures straight out of my galaxy note 4 and i have a few question. I feel like there's distortion or something in high frequencies, it doesnt sound clear and crisp. Have anyone else experienced this? Would a dac/amp help? What is best coupled with the 535's? If i pick the wrong one i will get hissing sounds right?

EDIT: would plugging them into a surround receiver make them sound better, allowing me to listen to how they would sound with a dac?

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #3,578 of 4,022
  Im running my newly bought shures straight out of my galaxy note 4 and i have a few question. I feel like there's distortion or something in high frequencies, it doesnt sound clear and crisp. Have anyone else experienced this? Would a dac/amp help? What is best coupled with the 535's? If i pick the wrong one i will get hissing sounds right?

EDIT: would plugging them into a surround receiver make them sound better, allowing me to listen to how they would sound with a dac?

if you have a chance to try sony walkman A-10 or zx-2 try them ... i have A-15 and it is very clear in treble
beyersmile.png

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #3,579 of 4,022
if you have a chance to try sony walkman A-10 or zx-2 try them ... i have A-15 and it is very clear in treble :beyersmile:

The price of the zx2 almost gave me a heart attack. Over 1000 bucks for a mp3 player that looks like it came out 10 yeara ago.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #3,580 of 4,022
You guys got any tips for bands/artists that sound great on the 535's?

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #3,581 of 4,022

Could alway go the cheapest route and get a Fiio X1. Or stick with the phone and get an amp like the Fiio e12a, or if you're ok with spending a bit more, the Alo Rx. I'm running my se535s with an ak120 and my Alo Rx and love it. Crystal clear across all frequencies and zero noise floor. I'm very happy with it. I've also had an original e12 which I liked, but it wasn't any where near as silent as the Rx. I'm guessing the e12a (iem version) clears that up nicely.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3,582 of 4,022
If anyone is looking for a good price, I got a sealed SE535 for sale on the forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/771111/sealed-bronze-shure-se535

I should have waited for some other stuff to sell before purchasing it... Something has to go :frowning2: 

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #3,583 of 4,022
  You guys got any tips for bands/artists that sound great on the 535's?

I think Alvin and the Chipmunks - The very best of the Chipmunks is absolutely superb with SE535.

Or, you could try finding CC Coletti - Bring it On Home, a Binaural recording in FLAC. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #3,584 of 4,022

I just want to make an update on this, im fairly certain that the distortion is on the actual songs. Not sure if it was from ripping them from cd or if they actually sounded like that on the cd. My previous IE80's just made a good job of hiding the noise but now that i've heard it i can hear it on them too, just not as easily.

Amp/dac is still interesting to me though as it will still help the sound quality.

Could alway go the cheapest route and get a Fiio X1. Or stick with the phone and get an amp like the Fiio e12a, or if you're ok with spending a bit more, the Alo Rx. I'm running my se535s with an ak120 and my Alo Rx and love it. Crystal clear across all frequencies and zero noise floor. I'm very happy with it. I've also had an original e12 which I liked, but it wasn't any where near as silent as the Rx. I'm guessing the e12a (iem version) clears that up nicely.
Thx, ill check those out tomorrow.

btw i dont normally listen to marilyn manson but they sounded great on the 535's.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,585 of 4,022
so i finally took the plunge and bought a pair of 535s from a fellow head-fier.  after a week of listening, i am happy as can be, they sound beautiful; exceeded my expectations.  since they were used, i only have a couple of the tips (grey soft-flex and tri-flange).  the tri-flange seems to sound the best but is rather uncomfortable, even with cutting off some of the stem.  soft-flex is more comfortable but seems to not isolate as well.

if anyone else out there has some extra tips that they are not planning to use, i would love to try them out to see if i can get a better fit.  Medium black foam and the yellow foam are what i am most interested in.  Would be glad to paypal a few dollars to cover the cost and S&H.  PM me if you have anything. 

now i need to re-rip all of my music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back