Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #3,181 of 4,022
Shure will replace your 530's with 535's for $240. 846's are NOT an option, as Shure's policy is to replace "with nearest available" to what you send them.

BTW, just received yesterday 535-V's Bronze from Shure as out-of-warranty replacements for my 7-year old 530's that still worked but.had too many "bandages" on the cables to be usable. Cost is $240 plus state tax...in my case $246 all-in plus a few bucks to ship the 530's to Shure. Turnaround: 6 business days. In the meantime, I auditioned Westone W60's and now won't even be opening up the 535's box. I'm a newbie here on head-fi and don't yet qualify to post them for sale here, so I might try eBay. Anyone on here with eBay selling experience?

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3,182 of 4,022
if you can afford the W60 .. don't open the se535 box for sure 
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,184 of 4,022
Just got my SE535. Despite of big expectations not very impressed. Mids are a bit muddy and highs recessed but probably it's a question of right eartips. Another issue is... I don't know how to call it... it's certainly not cable microphonics - when I walk I can feel ever step in my head echoing and booming. Maybe it is unavoidable with IEMs? I know for sure that there's nothing like that when I use Sennheiser MX 980 or any other earbuds. As to source I have a Sony NW-F887 DAP.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,185 of 4,022
  Just got my SE535. Despite of big expectations not very impressed. Mids are a bit muddy and highs recessed but probably it's a question of right eartips. Another issue is... I don't know how to call it... it's certainly not cable microphonics - when I walk I can feel ever step in my head echoing and booming. Maybe it is unavoidable with IEMs? I know for sure that there's nothing like that when I use Sennheiser MX 980 or any other earbuds. As to source I have a Sony NW-F887 

It's not really microphonics your hearing ... well, technically, I think it could be called "microphonics" but it's not related to your cable ... it's related to the fact that you have highly noise canceling ear pieces in and therefore can hear any sorts of vibrations in your body.

It's the same as when you see a vocalist put a finger in their ear to better hear their own voice ... 

This bothered the hell out of me when first switching to very noise canceling inner ear monitors ... especially when running and what not cause I could hear my foot falls pounding in my skull ... used to it now.

RE: sound? The 535's will seem pretty unassuming if your coming from any sort of earbud/iem that is exagerrated in any part of the sonic spectrum ... they are engineered to be mostly flat/neutral ... and if you give them time, you'll most likely come to love them. The mids certainly shouldn't sound muddy ... that's for sure ... that's where the 535's historically are considered to shine ... but try some different tips and see if that doesn't help.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #3,186 of 4,022
  Just got my SE535. Despite of big expectations not very impressed. Mids are a bit muddy and highs recessed but probably it's a question of right eartips. Another issue is... I don't know how to call it... it's certainly not cable microphonics - when I walk I can feel ever step in my head echoing and booming. Maybe it is unavoidable with IEMs? I know for sure that there's nothing like that when I use Sennheiser MX 980 or any other earbuds. As to source I have a Sony NW-F887 DAP.

IMO, the mids are not muddy, just that the separation and detailings of SE535 isn't exactly its forte. Sets like W4 have got better separation and details. The vocals of SE535 should be its pivot.

I have got the SE535Ltd and supposedly it should be treble enhanced but to me it isn't exactly as smooth and well extended again like the W4.

I would suggest that you do a tip rolling much preferably with westone star tips or a triple flange with the top flange and stem cut off.

I'm using my SE535Ltd with the modded triple flange and Fiio aftermarket cable and the SQ definitely is better than in stock form. Clarity, bass impact, details, separation and treble is improved. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #3,187 of 4,022
Thank you guys for your impressions, explications and tips. I'll try to let SE535 grow upon me, bet really not sure about positive results as it seems that my taste is simply not compatible with IEMs. I really don't know if it's worth to continue testing different IEMs (terribly expensive hobby, isn't it!) because I so much more enjoy earbuds with all their strenghts and weaknesses than any IEMs or headphones. One more recent disappointment is highly rated Sennheiser Momentum On Ear that are by no means hi-end headphones, but it's a different story.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #3,188 of 4,022
  Thank you guys for your impressions, explications and tips. I'll try to let SE535 grow upon me, bet really not sure about positive results as it seems that my taste is simply not compatible with IEMs. I really don't know if it's worth to continue testing different IEMs (terribly expensive hobby, isn't it!) because I so much more enjoy earbuds with all their strenghts and weaknesses than any IEMs or headphones. One more recent disappointment is highly rated Sennheiser Momentum On Ear that are by no means hi-end headphones, but it's a different story.

Hey if you dont want your 535s ill buy them off of you, I miss mine lol.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #3,190 of 4,022
I bought the Japanese Special Editions last week and they do sound good, but the treble roll-off and the lack of separation in the mids killed them for me. They're just a little too laid back for me. I'm going to have to do something I've never done before and send them back for a refund. I can't settle for them at this price range.

I put them up against my Audiofly AF78's and while they have a good deal more sound quality, the Audioflys beat them handily in the high frequencies and especially in the texture of the instruments. The Shures are a more neutral and balanced throughout the spectrum, but since I don't have robot ears, I'll have to find something else that has the right kinds of colorations.

With all the mid to high-end IEMs floating around now, I think I can find something that will satisfy my ears.

You should try eating while wearing IEMs.

You either get used to the extra vibrations in your head while you move around or you decide to only listen to IEMs while sedentary.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #3,191 of 4,022
  You should try eating while wearing IEMs.

You either get used to the extra vibrations in your head while you move around or you decide to only listen to IEMs while sedentary.

It's getting more and more interesting. Well, I believe the main pros of IEMs against earbuds are related to their noise cancelling abilities, at least I bought Shure SE535 for that reason. As I listen to music via DAP almost only when I move, using a full Hi-Fi system at home and Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 little wonders at work, I can only try adapting myself to them while on the move.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #3,192 of 4,022

Are you using the rubber tips or the foam? The rubber tips sound weird to me and have the same disorienting affect you mention. You might not be getting a good seal either.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #3,193 of 4,022
First three months or so I also had the disorientation from using IEM's. Mainly when there was no music playing, or quiet parts I'd get a little dizzy. I can't remember the last time I felt that way. Been using SE535's for two years now. FWIW, I use the triple flange silicone sleeves trimmed down so there's no nub, just the three flanges.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3,194 of 4,022

Are you using the rubber tips or the foam? The rubber tips sound weird to me and have the same disorienting affect you mention. You might not be getting a good seal either.

I tried all the tips and also the yellow foam supplied with the phones. Unfortunately not much difference to my ears. Back to my old and cheap AKG earbuds until I get Sennheiser MX 980 next week.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #3,195 of 4,022
  First three months or so I also had the disorientation from using IEM's. Mainly when there was no music playing, or quiet parts I'd get a little dizzy. I can't remember the last time I felt that way. Been using SE535's for two years now. FWIW, I use the triple flange silicone sleeves trimmed down so there's no nub, just the three flanges.

Exactly, it's an uncomfortable disorientation and dizziness. Not to mention that weird feeling of foreign body in my ear canal.

I'll give the silicons one more try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back