Shure SE530's - What Should I expect
Mar 1, 2009 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

GabeJacobs

New Head-Fier
Hey guys (first thread on Head-Fi)

So I just bought the Shure SE530's off amazon for $277. It's my first real big purchase for headphones, and I am just wondering what I should be expecting in terms of sound quality and comfort. From what I have read, this seems to be like a great purchase.

I have used a few in ear headphones. I own both the Vibe ii's and Etymotics HF2's. These are completely different headphones. The vibes are bass heavy with not enough clarity and the HF2's have great high and mids but no bass.

That leads me to the SE530's. I want the ultimate portable headphones. Enough Bass and clear. Did I get what I want? Should I have even got them in the first place? (I do have two workings headphones that I will have to push aside...)

Well, thats about it. I would love anyone who has these headphones to tell me your opinion. I think I'm really starting to become an audiophile, happy to be here!

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 37
Coming from someone who owns the SE530's. You have made a smart purchase. Prepared to be immersed in a world of audio never seen before. Check the link in my sig to help you out...

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coming from someone who owns the SE530's. You have made a smart purchase. Prepared to be immersed in a world of audio never seen before. Check the link in my sig to help you out...

These tips (in the link from your signature) don't come with the headphones?

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 37
You got the bass part right, but I'm not sure about the "clear" part. With the Olive tips at least, the sound signature was pretty laid back with rolled-off highs and recessed mids.

Who knows though, because it comes with an abundance of tips anyway!
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 37
The yellow foams once accompanied the E500 (what they used to call the SE530 in the past), but is no longer included. The Double flanges are made by trimming the triple flanges that you should have gotten as the part of the package. You should be able to buy the yellow foams from Shure themselves or on ebay and other headphone accessory stores.

To summarize it, if you would like a more balanced sound with better clearer, crisper highs at a sacrifice of some isolation and comfort (and arguably, some of the bass) then go with the yellow foams/triple (double) flanges. If you want comfort, isolation and boomier bass response (as some prefer), then stick with the black olives.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The yellow foams once accompanied the E500 (what they used to call the SE530 in the past), but is no longer included. The Double flanges are made by trimming the triple flanges that you should have gotten as the part of the package. You should be able to buy the yellow foams from Shure themselves or on ebay and other headphone accessory stores.

To summarize it, if you would like a more balanced sound with better clearer, crisper highs at a sacrifice of some isolation and comfort (and arguably, some of the bass) then go with the yellow foams/triple (double) flanges. If you want comfort, isolation and boomier bass response (as some prefer), then stick with the black olives.

I'll buy the yellow foams so I can compare. Thanks
regular_smile .gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GabeJacobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to you guys, I should be buying these, correct?

http://www.grabup.com/uploads/2c5c84...538.png?direct

The yellow foams because they are not included.
The triple flange sleeves so I can cut off the top and bottom part to create the best modification.

$30 is a lot for tips, is it worth it?

It should be right, but double check to make sure if it is 530 compatible. There are other Shures that use similar foam tips which have larger nozzles (e.g: e2c) and therefore won't fit the 530 unless you mod it. Are you sure you didn't get any triple flanges as part of the package? I guess you got it as used, since all new ones should come with one set of those.

As for if it is worth it, I would say so. It does change the sound to a considerable degree, to my ears a lot better. I still use olives when I need isolation/comfort but for best music listening I do use the foams. Good thing about 530's are that the tips effect the sound a lot, and it is somewhat EQ friendly, resulting in a very versatile IEM. No real negatives to speak of except for rolled off highs (which can be fixed to a considerable degree by the foams) and fragile as hell wires.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

It should be right, but double check to make sure if it is 530 compatible. There are other Shures that use similar foam tips which have larger nozzles (e.g: e2c) and therefore won't fit the 530 unless you mod it. Are you sure you didn't get any triple flanges as part of the package? I guess you got it as used, since all new ones should come with one set of those.

As for if it is worth it, I would say so. It does change the sound to a considerable degree, to my ears a lot better. I still use olives when I need isolation/comfort but for best music listening I do use the foams. Good thing about 530's are that the tips effect the sound a lot, and it is somewhat EQ friendly, resulting in a very versatile IEM. No real negatives to speak of except for rolled off highs (which can be fixed to a considerable degree by the foams) and fragile as hell wires.

I actually just bought the headphones today on amazon, so it will take 1-3 business days to get them. I wanted to buy the triple flanges cause I know the headphones only come with 1 pair and I wouldn't really feel save about cutting them if I don't have a backup. Don't you agree?

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GabeJacobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually just bought the headphones today on amazon, so it will take 1-3 business days to get them. I wanted to buy the triple flanges cause I know the headphones only come with 1 pair and I wouldn't really feel save about cutting them if I don't have a backup. Don't you agree?

I'll be frank here; If I was a betting man, I'll probably wager that you will NOT like the Triple/Double flanges. People that find them comfortable enough to be tolerable over long periods are in the minority. They do sound as good as the yellow sleeves, and they isolate very well, but I know I personally couldn't wear those for more than 10 minutes. As another poster here named mark has said, they feel more like brain implants than sleeves/eartips.

Yellow foams will give you almost exact same sound, and are more comfortable (although nowhere near the comfort of olives, which are one of the most comfortable sleeves in the IEM world along with complys). I wouldn't bother with additional triple flanges right now, personally. At the very least, try the triple flanges first when you get them, see if it is comfortable, then trim them if you don't like the comfort (good chance you won't).

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

I'll be frank here; If I was a betting man, I'll probably wager that you will NOT like the Triple/Double flanges. People that find them comfortable enough to be tolerable over long periods are in the minority. They do sound as good as the yellow sleeves, and they isolate very well, but I know I personally couldn't wear those for more than 10 minutes. As another poster here named mark has said, they feel more like brain implants than sleeves/eartips.

Yellow foams will give you almost exact same sound, and are more comfortable (although nowhere near the comfort of olives, which are one of the most comfortable sleeves in the IEM world along with complys). I wouldn't bother with additional triple flanges right now, personally. At the very least, try the triple flanges first when you get them, see if it is comfortable, then trim them if you don't like the comfort (good chance you won't).

Thanks for the opinion, you are probably right. Still would have to get the yellow foams for $20 (including shipping) on shures website.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #13 of 37
make sure to register it thru their website as its cable is "DEFINATELLY" going to break in about a year or so.

They only cost $277 now?? WOW!!!

Great buy !

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #14 of 37
just got mine and really enjoying them...

proper seal is a must....seems im having a problem getting my left side to fit properly the first time, however the right side goes right in. I guess it take practice.

Sound wise, its bliss....very detailed, yes, highes slightly recessed, but its still has enough detail to enjoy. Mids are smooth and very nice, bass extends deep and isnt over powering in anyway.

Im very happy with my purchase.

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #15 of 37
congrats, the 530 are quite spectacular.

since your comming from the hf2 if you used the triflange you might like the shure triflange, or you could just use whatever ety tips you were using as they are the same size.

both the bass and the mids are just stunning on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back