Shure SE530 vs Westone 2, and the PTH Feature
Nov 20, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh i know they were loved but really my ears say the um2 are on custom 3, IE7 sort of level. im not saying the um2 are crap but they certainly are not sitting at the top table.

I might be wrong but I got the impression you weren't that impressed with the UM3x either.

I'm using the UM3x now, but I used to have the UM2 and I personally adored it. At the time it was a massive step up for me over any other IEMs that I'd heard and I still have a soft spot for them (though they were sold to part fund my UM3x).

I can't comment on the SE530, as I haven't heard them (or the Custom 3 or IE7 for that matter), but part of me prefers the sound signature of the UM2 to the UM3x and I think they are a underrated now that they have been superceeded by newer Westone models ... I still think the UM2 are a great pair of earphones for the price.

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bee65n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seriously doubt the failure rate was 6%, and I haven't heard anything about the cables getting updated, so I can't comment on that.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/shu...e-poll-248730/

in the poll above, the number of people who have reported cable problems account for roughly 50% of se530 owners. Keep in mind the % should actually be higher since people who did not have problems initially (when they voted) might develop problems in the future.

Keep in mind that people who do not have problems are likely to be under-reported in a poll like that. We don't know what the actual failure rate was as Shure did not volunteer that information.

However, as I think you now know, they did reformulate the cables to address these issues. Anyone buying a new pair today would get those newer cables. No one has conducted a similar poll to try to assess the new cables so we can only go on anectodal experience for now. I will say I originally had E500s (same as SE530), which had the old cable. They did stiffen and finally split after a little over two years. Shure replaced them under warranty and sent me a new pair of SE530s which have the newer cable. I've had the SE530s for almost a year now and they have not hardened at all. My E500s were pretty much "set" after 6-7 months of daily usage. So, my experience is the new cables retain their flexibility and don't suffer from the problems the old cables had.

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #18 of 24
I wouldn't be too sure that they will warranty cable issues after the warranty expires. Also, if you do not purchase from an authorized dealer you will not see warranty no matter what.

You can get SE530's from Headroom (Headphone.com) for $309 if you call and there authorized.

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #19 of 24
If the seller is unauthorised, Shure won't have anything to do with them, warranty or not. (In my experience). So best to go with an authorised dealer and clean the cables regularly, just in case. Or buy the cheapest you can and get them reshelled to your ears, then they'll sound even better too...
I used the PTH function only with air travel, especially long distance. It's very handy not to have to take out the foamies just to order a drink...

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be wrong but I got the impression you weren't that impressed with the UM3x either.

I'm using the UM3x now, but I used to have the UM2 and I personally adored it. At the time it was a massive step up for me over any other IEMs that I'd heard and I still have a soft spot for them (though they were sold to part fund my UM3x).

I can't comment on the SE530, as I haven't heard them (or the Custom 3 or IE7 for that matter), but part of me prefers the sound signature of the UM2 to the UM3x and I think they are a underrated now that they have been superceeded by newer Westone models ... I still think the UM2 are a great pair of earphones for the price.

no i cant say i loved the um3x but its clearly top table stuff. the um2 just is not.

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hammck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the seller is unauthorised, Shure won't have anything to do with them, warranty or not. (In my experience)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't be too sure that they will warranty cable issues after the warranty expires. Also, if you do not purchase from an authorized dealer you will not see warranty no matter what.

That really depends. Over here in Aus, when i asked for warranty for my SE530, all they asked was the code on the headjack. Once i told them it, they asked me to send it to them. I then received a new set in 2 weeks. They didnt even ask if i bought it from an authorised seller

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #22 of 24
That might be because it was authorized and they check that with the serial you gave them. but I could be wrong..

So dragoon, you like the ER4 more than the SE530, and the TF10? like ur sig says

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That might be because it was authorized and they check that with the serial you gave them. but I could be wrong..

So dragoon, you like the ER4 more than the SE530, and the TF10? like ur sig says

The code is the date of manufacture of the 'phones. I think they just ask that to make sure that it's still under the 2 year warranty

Yeah, i prefer the ER4 to the other phones. It's the 'phone that feels the most right to me (helps balance bass heavy music like techno and pop etc)

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, as dragoon stated, the code is just the date of manufacture, not a serial code. The warranty experience does vary depending on what part of the world you live in and what part of the global Shure company you deal with. I can say that in the U.S. I have never had problems with warranty coverage, regardless of who sold me the IEMs. And, in the case of my E500 cables splitting, they actually replaced them after the warranty period.

Having said that, none of this is guaranteed to anyone, so the best advise is indeed to buy from an authorized reseller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back