Shure SE530 not enough BASS!!!
Feb 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

MythNoob

100+ Head-Fier
Well after much waiting i got my SE530's yesterday and after 8hours of listening I am not overwhelmed as i was expecting. I have upgraded from cx300>e2c>SE530's. The bass is there, and it the note of it is accurate but its just not upfront and enough, it hides behind those lovely mids. maybe im not an armature driver type guy and need dynamic drivers? what would your recommendations be for me? im going to look into Sennheiser IE8's cause of that adjustable bass maybe they can be more suited to my bass preferences.

Im truly gutted cause i love the shures but just need that bass i can 'feel' but without clouding up the other frequencies. I would like to keep with the higher end phones hence IE8 as a possibility and not Superfi5EB etc

ohh and i could be open to a swap

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 28
The IE8's bass is definitely good, but the adjustable bass doesn't really adjust the bass very much at all.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 28
I see you using an iPod.

IMO, adjust the EQ on your iPod, set it to Electronic, Rock or Jazz. They all pretty much boost the bass while adjusting the high roll-off issue.

Some people don't like EQing(at least on iPods), But I feel it does more good than bad.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 28
awww yes electronic is a nice EQ. whatever you do dont use bass boost because it just craps the amp right out.

the se530 are certainly not light on bass, even my bass shy cowon D2 thumps heavy once you figure out a good EQ set up. however ipods dont really have a decent EQ and you have to settle with what it gives you.

its important to remember the bass the shures puts out is only as heavy as the bass your source puts out, take it from me the se530 can take some seriously big bass, but you have to feed it big bass to get the big bass...this is where good amplifiers come onto the scene
atsmile.gif
. luckily im happy with what i manage to squeeze from the D2 but theres no doubt i would have more if i could.

this might sound crazy to most of you but i suggest you have a listen to the super fi EB myth!, theres no doubt they are not as perfect as the BIG 4 and the sound isnt quite studio quality but the bassssssss...its just banging man!

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 28
consider IE7 also..its more neutral compared to IE8 and u can save a lot of $$$ by ignoring the Knob feature.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 28
Play around with the different tips, that might help too.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 28
if the 530 doesnt have enough bass for you then dont go for the IE7 as nocturnal suggests, their bass is very similar to each other. but if you want more bass than them then try the IE8 and turn that bass dial all the way up.

if the 530 doesnt have enough for you the only thing i can think of is the IE8

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 28
The Shure SE530 has "enough" BASS it is just his source. You want more BASS well feed it more BASS and he will not be disappointed. The stock BASS from the Shure SE530's are just very honest BASS that is why it may seem lacking at times, but just a little EQ will fix it or if your source can provide a lot of juice in BASS department.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 28
expecting big and unrealistic bass from a high end IEM is really a bit silly IMO these things are designed to pump out tight accurate bass; not exaggerated bass. even the IE8 may disappoint if you are looking for a pumped up version of the CX300-500 (which IMO have crap, boomy and uncontrolled bass) but the others are correct; if you dont feed them bass, they wont give you bass in return, that would be VERY undesirable in a decent IEM. maybe since you already have an ipod you could install rockbox and use the far superior parametric EQ to twist the frequency response to your desired UN-realistic extents. maybe the EB is the one for you. maybe you could also consider the Atrio M8

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 28
Try the IE8 or Atrio M5/M8 if you can't get the SE530 to work for you. Give it a go for a week though at least, because it honestly could just be how you're sealing the SE530 in your ears or something to do with your source.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the 530 doesnt have enough bass for you then dont go for the IE7 as nocturnal suggests, their bass is very similar to each other. but if you want more bass than them then try the IE8 and turn that bass dial all the way up.

if the 530 doesnt have enough for you the only thing i can think of is the IE8

if SE530 has as much bass as IE7 then its great for bassheads dont u think?

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 28
I think if you're looking for bass and have turned towards the se530's/W3's to find it, you need to go in an altogether different direction. Try the new dynamic iem's Id recommend the ie8's and also the monster turbines. I have yet to listen to the atrios so I can't comment on those. The bass on the monsters are punch and viceral, its just a different quality from what youd hear from the se530 and the etys etc... But from what you guys are saying you want BASS and I mean... flat out bass booming, head ripping bass. In which case, stick with bass adjusted iems. Off the top of my head maybe the UE super fi +bass, vmoda bass freqs. The se530's and W3's have bass... plenty of it too but if you still want more then either eq your daps, or get bass heavy iem's, dont keep looking up the food chain that deals with refinement.although I've been told the UE11's are bass heavy.

Extra bass.. I just realized I forgot to say it earlier, but if you want extra bass on head headphone, just throw in a resistor and boost it with your amp. It degrades some of the highs but at this point if you really want boomy bass, you might as well go for it. Id recommend 75-100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back