Shure SE530 - change earbuds
Feb 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

t0dy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Posts
173
Likes
0
Hi everyone!
I have problems changing the standard earbuds of the Shure SE530. You're supposed to twist and pull, but it seems like they're glued on or something, because I can't remove them! It would be a shame to ruin them, since they fit nicely in my ears, providing a good seal, it's just that I want to try them all before I order more of them!

Thanks!

Edit: Now I succeeded in removing one of the earbuds, took a LOT of force, my fingers are hurting and it felt like I was twisting the whole nozzle off! Very well, no more problems changing the right earpiece.
 
Feb 10, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 23

thechungster

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Posts
1,430
Likes
11
It really is impossible to change the Shure's tips :| I had to use my teeth on the SE110's I have
tongue.gif
(Not hygenic, washed my mouth instantly)
 
Feb 10, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 23

t0dy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Posts
173
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really is impossible to change the Shure's tips :| I had to use my teeth on the SE110's I have
tongue.gif
(Not hygenic, washed my mouth instantly)



Holy Mary Mother of God! I don't want to use my teeth, doesn't sound very good. I STILL can't cant remove the left earbud. This is ridiculous! It feels like the left nozzle is actually coming loose from the actual IEM!
 
Feb 10, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 23

thechungster

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Posts
1,430
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by t0dy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy Mary Mother of God! I don't want to use my teeth, doesn't sound very good. I STILL can't cant remove the left earbud. This is ridiculous! It feels like the left nozzle is actually coming loose from the actual IEM!


Well my SE110's are 1 year old, so I don't care
tongue.gif
Be careful, you can actually rip the stem off. The SE110's seem to have a molded stem with the body, so less chance for that. The 530's seem to be in 2 parts... Have you tried warming up the sleeve, so that it becomes a bit more easier to pull off?
 
Feb 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 23

t0dy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Posts
173
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my SE110's are 1 year old, so I don't care
tongue.gif
Be careful, you can actually rip the stem off. The SE110's seem to have a molded stem with the body, so less chance for that. The 530's seem to be in 2 parts... Have you tried warming up the sleeve, so that it becomes a bit more easier to pull off?



No, what should I try warming it with? Maybe I have some hot pipes going to my radiator or something, I'll try that!
 
Feb 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 23

t0dy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Posts
173
Likes
0
Well, the pipe was about 40-50C but it didn't help at all.. Soon I will probably slice it in half with a really sharp knife..

EDIT: So, I cut (!) away the standard olive earbud, leaving me with just 3 of them, now I really have to buy more quite soon. WHAT IS THIS!? Now I put on a new medium olive and it's stuck again!
 
Feb 10, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 23

t0dy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Posts
173
Likes
0
I twisted off the nozzle, just wanted to tell you that. NOW WHAT DO I DO!? Register the SE530's on Shure website and send them for repair!?
 
Feb 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 23

viperrepiv

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 23, 2007
Posts
12
Likes
0
I was dealing with this last night. I was really really afraid i would break them. I finally found a solution: use a paper towel or some sort of fabric to grip the earbud and twist it off. It prevents your hands from slipping on the bud.
 
Feb 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 23

t0dy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Posts
173
Likes
0
Thank you viperrepiv, I s(h)ure will try this little trick when I have gotten new ones back. If I'm unlucky though - I always start thinking catastrophicly - I'll have to pay $145 because of "excessive physical damage" or whatever it's called. But hopefully this won't cost me anything but time.
 
Feb 11, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 23

MythNoob

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Posts
190
Likes
10
theres a very long and very informative thread somewhere that deals with getting them off, find that thread it will solve your problem as it did with me and my 530's.
 
Feb 11, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 23

t0dy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Posts
173
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by MythNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theres a very long and very informative thread somewhere that deals with getting them off, find that thread it will solve your problem as it did with me and my 530's.


PLEASE, help me find it! I searched the web (and Head-Fi ofc.) like a maniac trying to find a thread I was sure I had read some time ago. This was ofcourse before I went on tearing off the whole damn nozzle
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Feb 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 23

fredman22

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Posts
244
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by MythNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theres a very long and very informative thread somewhere that deals with getting them off, find that thread it will solve your problem as it did with me and my 530's.


Yeah. It was a big discussion. Essentially it's this: if the tips have the plastic tube lining it's this that is adhering to the nozzle; the best way to 'break' this adhesion is to take a flat-bladed object and gently pry the tube at the base of the nozzle - once the seal is broken you should be able to twist off as normal. This happened to me when I tried Shure Olives on my W3s and then decided against them. Getting them off without breaking the nozzles got a little dramatic. Good luck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top