Shure SE530 Cable Question
May 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
I asked this before, but did not get a definitive answer. I want to order a set of Shure SE530's today, but am concerned that I will end up in "frayed cable hell" like many other head-fiers. If I order from Amazon today, can I be absolutely positiveI will get a set with all the previous the cable issues fixed? If yes, I buy them. If not, I'll probabably go with the Westone UM3X's. The SE535's look great, but are too pricey IMO.

May 21, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 7
You want a guarantee?  I don't think anyone can give you a 100% guarantee except the seller.  I'd say it is extremely unlikely at this point though.  They'd have to sell you phones that are over 2 years old to have a chance at getting the old cables.  Are these new in package?  If you can get the date stamp on the plug, you can determine if they are new enough to be 100% sure.  Practically speaking, I think it is pretty certain you will get the new cables, especially if they are in new retail packaging.

May 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
I asked this before, but did not get a definitive answer. I want to order a set of Shure SE530's today, but am concerned that I will end up in "frayed cable hell" like many other head-fiers. If I order from Amazon today, can I be absolutely positiveI will get a set with all the previous the cable issues fixed? If yes, I buy them. If not, I'll probabably go with the Westone UM3X's. The SE535's look great, but are too pricey IMO.

The Westone UM3X would be a better choice...

May 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 7
I don't think the OP has anything to worry about in terms of purchasing the SE530 with reformulated cables.  Mine are approaching one year old and I'm pretty sure they have the improved cables.  I haven't had any problems with them.  

May 21, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 7
I believe the consensus is that the new style cables aren't any worse than other IEMs in the same price range.

You might want to just get something with detachable cables anyway since they will probably break eventually no matter how well you treat them or which brand you get.  Copper gets work hardened with every little bend and will fracture sooner or latter.  The problem is magnified in the wires on portable headphones from cycles of being unwound, put on, taken off, and rewound.  There's no way around it besides not using them.  Maybe if you're reckless and lucky you might be able to temper them in an oven or with a heat gun.  I'm not sure what kind of temperatures you need to do that though.  It's a lot less than what it takes to melt it completely, but I wouldn't be surprised if you set fire to the insulation and melted the shells.  God (or Jerry Harvey) only knows what would happen to the drivers.  I guessing it's bad though.

May 21, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the SE530 cables. It's been quite some time since shure reworked the cables.
And if they fail during warranty, you'd probaly get a set of SE535 as your replacement.

Great point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back