Shure SE530 : Are they a "fun" IEM?
May 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Nickoteen

New Head-Fier
Ok so here is my situation. I own the SE420's. They are good headphones however I find them kinda boring and flat to listen to. They are very neutral like many have stated. I work at Futureshop(canadian electronics store) so I get a very good discount. The SE530's just popped back up online so I've been thinking about getting them.

My question is are the SE530's very different from the SE420's? Are they a "fun" IEM to listen to or do they have that same somewhat boring sound signature that the SE420's have? Also is the treble any better then the SE420's or do the SE530's just improve midrange and bass?

Thanks!

May 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 21
It's sort of a mix between "fun" and "laid back". On one hand, it's relative lack of upper treble as well as its decent soundstage (for an IEM anyway) makes it a comfortable, laid back listen compared to some of the harsher IEM's, but on the other hand, the upfrontness of mids as well as the deep bass makes it pretty fun to listen to overall as well. So I'd say it's a good mix of both. FWIR it's going to be a much more fun listen than the SE420.

What's your discount going to be at FS? It's something like 5-10% plus on the cost, right?

May 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 21
Fun and IEM is a contradiction in terms..to me anyway

I really enjoyed the sound and especially the bass though, but I could hear my own circulation, for real or imagened, I donno, drove me nuts.. glad I sold them..

May 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's sort of a mix between "fun" and "laid back". On one hand, it's relative lack of upper treble as well as its decent soundstage (for an IEM anyway) makes it a comfortable, laid back listen compared to some of the harsher IEM's, but on the other hand, the upfrontness of mids as well as the deep bass makes it pretty fun to listen to overall as well. So I'd say it's a good mix of both. FWIR it's going to be a much more fun listen than the SE420.

What's your discount going to be at FS? It's something like 5-10% plus on the cost, right?

Ya its cost plus 10%. Luckily headphones have a ridiculous mark up. So the SE530's will only run me roughly $240 canadian before tax. Maybe a little less though

May 21, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickoteen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so here is my situation. I own the SE420's. They are good headphones however I find them kinda boring and flat to listen to. They are very neutral like many have stated. I work at Futureshop(canadian electronics store) so I get a very good discount. The SE530's just popped back up online so I've been thinking about getting them.

My question is are the SE530's very different from the SE420's? Are they a "fun" IEM to listen to or do they have that same somewhat boring sound signature that the SE420's have? Also is the treble any better then the SE420's or do the SE530's just improve midrange and bass?

Thanks!

Check this link as they do an intersting comparison of both - they're VERY similar - and they say the SE420 is better value: http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content...Comparison.htm

I had the SE530 and sold it quickly because (mostly) of the sound quality, and got he W3 instead, and was very happy with what I regarded as an upgrade. Then sold that an got the custom ES3X - And yet again I now also have the UM3X as a sort of backup for he ES3X's.

From SE530, W3 & UM3X I prefer the UM3X then W3 and then, well I would look for something else as I just didn't like the SE530 for several reasons. But that may be too expensive for you.

Mind you, if you can get them that cheap and don't like them you might sell them on eBay and pretty much get your money back - just a thought.

May 21, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check this link as they do an intersting comparison of both - they're VERY similar - and they say the SE420 is better value: Shure SE530 Headphones Review - In-Ear - Reviews of Headphones and Headphone Ratings - HeadphoneInfo.com

I had the SE530 and old it quickly because (mostly) of the sound quality, and got he W3 instead, and was very happy with what I regarded as an upgrade. Then sold that an got the custom ES3X - And yet again I now also have the UM3X as a sort of backup for he ES3X's.

From SE530, W3 & UM3X I prefer the UM3X the W3 then, well I would look for something else as I just didn't like the SE530 for several reasons. But that may be too expensive for you.

Mind you, if you can get them that cheap and don't like them you might sell them on eBay and pretty much get your money back - just a thought.

The store he mentioned, Future Shop (which is owned by Best Buy and ran pretty much in same fashion) only has Shure IEM's as higher end IEMs I'm afraid to say. So no Westones available for him although he may possibly prefer those more (and it would probably be more "fun" than the SE530). But for $240 CDN price point he can get SE530 for, it'd be a good deal for him.

May 21, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 21
The Shure SE530's are midrange oriented earphones. Their midrange is by far the best in any IEM under $500. Their bass is deep, punchy and tight. Some may say it's abit on the weak side. That is usually when they come from bass heavy earphones. I think the bass is pretty much perfect. I think it's perfect because of the way Shure tuned it where the bass blends so perfectly with the midrange. The bass never overpowers the midrange. Sadly the bass and midrange will overpower the upper treble. The upper treble is at a low volume which makes it very hard to hear the details. This prevents listening fatigue and provides a laid back sound. I personally do not like this sound signature as the music sounds life less and boring with no sparkle....

Well an EQ could have fixed this but my portable source a Zune 120gb doesn't have one. Well behold!!! The triple flange sleeves when modified (click the link in my tutorial) significantly opens up the sound and upper treble begins to show itself. Everything sounds so much tighter and controlled and crisp. Going back to foam tips (Shure SE530 sound signature) sounds so boring and dull.

May 21, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The store he mentioned, Future Shop (which is owned by Best Buy and ran pretty much in same fashion) only has Shure IEM's as higher end IEMs I'm afraid to say. So no Westones available for him although he may possibly prefer those more (and it would probably be more "fun" than the SE530). But for $240 CDN price point he can get SE530 for, it'd be a good deal for him.

Yes, I can see that and that's why I suggested perhaps getting them (SE530's), trying them and if not happy to then sell them off - at that price ($211 USD/ £133) OP would very likely get ALL his money back, and maybe even make a little profit.

May 21, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Yes, I can see that and that's why I suggested perhaps getting them (SE530's), trying them and if not happy to then sell them off - at that price ($211 USD/ £133) OP would very likely get ALL his money back, and maybe even make a little profit.

Sure, if he dun like, he can make a little profit at fs forum, normal price range is within 220-240USD. Worest case he can at least cover his cost

May 22, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Check this link as they do an intersting comparison of both - they're VERY similar - and they say the SE420 is better value: Shure SE530 Headphones Review - In-Ear - Reviews of Headphones and Headphone Ratings - HeadphoneInfo.com

I had the SE530 and sold it quickly because (mostly) of the sound quality, and got he W3 instead, and was very happy with what I regarded as an upgrade. Then sold that an got the custom ES3X - And yet again I now also have the UM3X as a sort of backup for he ES3X's.

From SE530, W3 & UM3X I prefer the UM3X then W3 and then, well I would look for something else as I just didn't like the SE530 for several reasons. But that may be too expensive for you.

I've seen alot of people say that the SE420 wasnt worth the money and to just go for the SE530. I don't hate the SE420's by any means I just feel they are lacking something. I have been eyeing the W3's but unfortunately we dont sell them and I can't afford them considering I get the SE530's at half the price. I think I'll give the SE530's a go. If Im still not happy I'll sell them. Ya considering the price I get I should be able to sell them and turn a profit no problem if I really have to

May 22, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 21
$211?! Damn, get on that!

If 'fun' is the opposite of 'laid back' though, then the 530's are no fun at all.
smily_headphones1.gif
But they're a pleasure to listen to.

May 22, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 21
Yeah go for it! Especially at that price. Got mine a week or two back, upgrading from d-JAYS. Took me about a week to get used to the sound, but now I absolutely love listening to them. I think I even prefer them to my HD555 with Creek OBH-11SE...so now I'm thinking of selling the Creek.

May 22, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah go for it! Especially at that price. Got mine a week or two back, upgrading from d-JAYS. Took me about a week to get used to the sound, but now I absolutely love listening to them. I think I even prefer them to my HD555 with Creek OBH-11SE...so now I'm thinking of selling the Creek.

Have you gave my mod a try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back