Shure SE425: Real or fake?
May 14, 2018 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mcbbvb

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I don't post here often but I lurk here a lot. My Ortofon EQ5 died on me so I'm looking for a replacement. I decided to go for the Shure SE425 and I found a good second hand deal on a local website. I can't pick them up due to the distance and I'm hesitating because I'm not sure they're real. Most of you guys are the real expert so I was wondering if you could tell me (to your knowledge) if these are real or not. I asked the vendor for more pictures and you can find them all below. Thanks for all the help!

$_85.JPG

$_85.JPG

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

Attachments

• $_85 (1).JPG
    $_85 (1).JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
  • $_85.JPG
    $_85.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
  • $_84 (2).JPG
    $_84 (2).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
  • $_84 (3).JPG
    $_84 (3).JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
  • $_84.JPG
    $_84.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • $_84 (1).JPG
    $_84 (1).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi, I've just sold one of these..silver version. Now from the photos, the se425 I had does look a little different in body. Also I don't think the case is supposed to look like that. I.e...the bumps on the weave material are too large. Also it's the wrong texture. Also, that doesn't look like an original fit kit....unless it's been replaced. Basically there are pieces missing..and the kit doesn't come in a plastic bag like that, these is a plastic bag, but wider. Lastly my Shure looks a lot higher quality....even in photos. Plus I don't like that greening on the cable. Also, the join on the nozzle should be smoother. Also, shouldn't there be L R notation on the cable...where's that. And my cable had a dot below both the L and R. Why's he covering up the memory wire. The memory part looks weird too. And some of the moulding points on the plastic are missing... Plus the plastic in these photos looks low quality....it shouldn't look like that. Also the alignment of the word Shure on the outer with the plastic moulding line is wrong. The moulding line should be slightly outside the word.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi, I've just sold one of these..silver version. Now from the photos, the se425 I had does look a little different in body. Also I don't think the case is supposed to look like that. I.e...the bumps on the weave material are too large. Also it's the wrong texture. Also, that doesn't look like an original fit kit....unless it's been replaced. Basically there are pieces missing..and the kit doesn't come in a plastic bag like that, these is a plastic bag, but wider. Lastly my Shure looks a lot higher quality....even in photos. Plus I don't like that greening on the cable. Also, the join on the nozzle should be smoother. Also, shouldn't there be L R notation on the cable...where's that. And my cable had a dot below both the L and R. Why's he covering up the memory wire. The memory part looks weird too. And some of the moulding points on the plastic are missing... Plus the plastic in these photos looks low quality....it shouldn't look like that. Also the alignment of the word Shure on the outer with the plastic moulding line is wrong. The moulding line should be slightly outside the word.

Thanks for replying and giving such detailed information. I think he just put his tips in a different bag and the cable is green because that's what happens with the clear cable. But I believe your other comments and now I think I'll not buy them at all and I will look further. Thanks!

May 14, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 9
After you said “Lastly” you still roller off 10 more concerns lol.

Sorry OP

May 15, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Wouldn't it be irony if darkdoorway had the fakes the whole time?
Haha...I do like to believe that I can match the described signature and quality of the innerfidelity reviewed se425s to the ones I had....although, it could all be in my head....just like every headfi post and canjam listening experience for the last few years. A grand delusion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back