Shure se215 for the gym?
Oct 29, 2014 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

eelnwahs

Head-Fier
So I have some questions about using the shure se215 in the gym, I originally bought them for this purpose but I see everyone now saying don't they will rust, most of my workouts are just weight lifting so it's just minimal sweat, will it destroy the contact points? Also is there anything I can do after each workout to prevent this from happening in case sweat does get in? Head-fi I need your wisdom!

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 46
So I have some questions about using the shure se215 in the gym, I originally bought them for this purpose but I see everyone now saying don't they will rust, most of my workouts are just weight lifting so it's just minimal sweat, will it destroy the contact points? Also is there anything I can do after each workout to prevent this from happening in case sweat does get in? Head-fi I need your wisdom!

I can't say much on the sweat getting in, but I can say that I wouldn't risk it. Buy a cheap $10 pair of IEMs to use during the gym. I've had a cable detach doing deadlifts because I didn't notice the cable stuck under my knee. Or just buy a bundle of cheap earbuds on Amazon - they go for around $2.5 each? Not the best sounding quality, but it's still beats having to ship your headphones back and waiting for RMA. Just my 0.02

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 46
You can always buy packs of silica gel and a zip lock bag, the silica gel will suck up any moisture.

You'd want to buy packs that can be "recharged" by heating them. Just watch out with the ones with color change indicator, the dye in some of them can cause cancer so you don't want to heat the gel say in your oven.

Of course whether this would work is an experiment for you. :)

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 46
You can always buy packs of silica gel and a zip lock bag, the silica gel will suck up any moisture.

You'd want to buy packs that can be "recharged" by heating them. Just watch out with the ones with color change indicator, the dye in some of them can cause cancer so you don't want to heat the gel say in your oven.

Of course whether this would work is an experiment for you. :)

I'm not sure if I want to experiment with that lol

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 46
Some IEMs, those with BA(balanced armature) drivers are more sensitive to moisture, dynamic drivers are by far more resistant to sweat. 
The se215 won't rust and they carry a dynamic driver. Nothing to worry about: Use them as much as you want.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 46
I wasn't worried about the actual driver itself rusting but the connectors for the removeable cables, people have claimed that sweat will cause them to corrode over time. Do you have a pair of se215's to compare?

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 46
I wasn't worried about the actual driver itself rusting but the connectors for the removeable cables, people have claimed that sweat will cause them to corrode over time. Do you have a pair of se215's to compare?

I sold mine (you can see it by looking at my trader feedback) the cable went really green and I sweat a lot but the connector never showed any sign of rust.
Feel free to do whatever you feel comfortable anyway. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 46

These are ones I've been using in my daily commute and the connectors are ok. It's highly likely they will break for you stepping on them or breaking the cable for pulling them very hard before finding signs of rust inside the connector. One thing to keep in consideration: the mmcx connectors are not perfect, sometimes they can "short":  an inherently faulty design unfortunately.

For Shure connectors:
Sound dropping out or what some refer to as "shorts" is due to the connectors needing cleaning; you should clean the connectors every four months. Once cleaned, no amount of swiveling will cause the drop out or "short" ... Toothpick, napkin and alcohol is all you need to solve the dirty connector problem.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666577/the-complete-guide-to-taking-proper-care-of-headphones

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 46
Are they really that fragile? Everyone says that the se215 are super durable. Also if stuff breaks is it usually a cord replacement or does the actual IEM die? I'm worried now about my purchase lol. If breakage was normally the cable I could stomachs that maybe. I'm seriously questioning my choice of IEM now lol

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 46
Also

These are ones I've been using in my daily commute and the connectors are ok. It's highly likely they will break for you stepping on them or breaking the cable for pulling them very hard before finding signs of rust inside the connector. One thing to keep in consideration: the mmcx connectors are not perfect, sometimes they can "short":  an inherently faulty design unfortunately.

For Shure connectors:
Sound dropping out or what some refer to as "shorts" is due to the connectors needing cleaning; you should clean the connectors every four months. Once cleaned, no amount of swiveling will cause the drop out or "short" ... Toothpick, napkin and alcohol is all you need to solve the dirty connector problem.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666577/the-complete-guide-to-taking-proper-care-of-headphones

So I see your instructions to clean the connectors, how exactly do you clean the sockets, I get the concept but do you wrap the tooth pick in napkins then put rubbing alcohol on it? Could you just explain the process

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 46
I never said they were fragile. No headphones will withstand such an aggressive environment, it depends solely of the user. That said, many users have been using them at the gym without worries or concern.

Post your question here if you still have doubts:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/542003/new-shure-se215-first-impressions

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 46
I never said they were fragile. No headphones will withstand such an aggressive environment, it depends solely of the user. That said, many users have been using them at the gym without worries or concern.

Post your question here if you still have doubts:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/542003/new-shure-se215-first-impressions

Ok thanks! Yea I can't be that aggressive on mine, I have a pair of JVC fx101 with a tiny thin cord that are still basically brand new looking and I only stopped using them because I lost the silicone tips. Could you explain to me exactly how to clean the connectors on my se215's. I really want to take good care of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back