Shure se215 for the gym?
Oct 29, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #31 of 46
I use the Shure 535s at the gym. I route the cable through my shirt on the inside and into my pocket to the iPhone. This way I never tangle it when on the bench, etc. I just wipe the cable when I am done.

You don't need to do this when on the elliptical, etc. You can just let it hang if it is not in the way.

I have never had a problem, and they still look and work as new.

I do buy the foam ear tips in bulk. 20 packs at a time. You replace them as needed.

Have at it.

What foam ear tips do you buy in bulk? Also I've noticed the se215 cord is long and annoying to use at the gym. I wish I had a shorter cord

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #32 of 46
Yes, for sure se215 can be used for gym but with the silicon tips. I've seen a number of guys wearing them in my gym, including me. I use the large size tips which pack my ears so that no sweat can trickle through. 
etysmile.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #34 of 46
To end this thread, I received my se215 and wow they are boring and bloated. I really wish I would've gone for the ef5's for the better sound but I will admit. The isolation on the se215 is quite amazing. I can listen to my music loud and no one around me can hear it. It's actually pretty nice

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #36 of 46
what's your source?

iPod classic. But the headphones I consider to sound great are sennheiser hd555 and audiotechnica ad700. But both of those headphones have sounds that IEM's can't really touch. Especially the ad700's with their spacious soundstage and instrument separation. No IEM seems to touch the non fatiguing relaxed sound that those Headphones bring

Edit: well at least not ones that are as durable as the se215's

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #38 of 46
boring and bloated?? Well, that's depressing. I just ordered the Shure's after MUCH research. Here's hoping I have a different experience! 
:smile_phones:

It really depends what sound signature you like, I like headphones that have a nice high end. The treble on the se215 is very weak so I found it to be borinf

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #39 of 46
I want good bass AND good clear mid and treble and presentation on the warm ish side - e.g not a lot of sibilance. But not so warm it obscures the mids. And a budget around 125 at the high end. Doesn't seem that unreasonable...

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #40 of 46
I want good bass AND good clear mid and treble and presentation on the warm ish side - e.g not a lot of sibilance. But not so warm it obscures the mids. And a budget around 125 at the high end. Doesn't seem that unreasonable...

The SE215 does have good bass and clear mids for the price. In fact, its greatest strength is in its mids. Treble is roll-off, so you won't get as much detail, but you won't encounter any sibilance because of it. I would suggest that you stop worrying and just test them out for yourself when you get them. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #41 of 46

Yea I'd listen to dine. A lot of people love the se215 I'm just one of the few who sound like garbage. If this is your first step into the world of more expensive headphones I'm sure they will be fine for you. I've just been ruined because I'm used to more expensive full size headphones so im looking for a certain sound that isn't common in most IEM due to the small drivers and very little space. I wouldn't worry too much until you get them and try them out for yourself

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #42 of 46

Sorry for the late reply, but I bought a bag of the yellow compression foam tips. They are good, but only for a short time. Maybe two or three workouts, then I replace.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #43 of 46
I use my se215s for workouts (mostly indoor cycling in a trainer and light weights) and haven't had any issues in two years of use. Only noticeable corrosion is the "Shure" logo disappeared on the right outer pod. I typically sweat moderately, and usually take care to wipe phones and cords thoroughly after each workout. I avoid swabbing with alcohol, but have used slightly soapy water or witch hazel in solution if my sweat has been excessive or especially salty. I try not to clean with liquid near the sensitive contact points where the cord meets the pod.

I also sleep wearing them sometimes, to no ill effect. I use the large "olive" tips, and find them durable enough for months of use.

Something I find helpful to avoid cable-snags during workouts: Try wearing the cable behind your head (cinch it up mid-neck) and let the cable run down your back. Depending on your back length, shorten the cable by looping excess with a fastener (I've used everything from those wire ties that come with electronics to a clothes pin). You can tuck a portion of the excess cable into a pocket or the elastic of your sweats/shorts.

As far as sound is concerned, the se215 isn't audiophile, but it's excellent for its price. Isolation is very good, almost dangerous in the wrong environment (I can't use them for road cycling because I lose all outside audio cues). I agree with the comment about "boring" sound, to a degree. The sound, to my ears, can be a touch muffled in "busy" music passages with much bass and mid action. But they can be surprisingly detailed in less congested sections. (They are a single-driver IEM, after all, so there must be compromises.) Overall, I think these are a bargain headphone in the best way. Some of the "boringness" is actually akin to flatter headphone signatures, which I find less fatiguing over long listens. Once you adjust to it, there is much to enjoy

Based on my experience, I'd recommend the se215 for workouts, provided that you are aware of the risks. It's a fairly tough IEM, but you're putting stress on it that could cause damage. To me it's worth risking a $100 set of phones to have very decent sound available to relieve workout boredom. If I damage or misplace them, it's not a tragedy, like it would be with a higher-end IEM.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #44 of 46
Hey Eeinwa, I use my SE215's at the gym and I sweat a lot. So far nothing has rusted and sound exactly the same as they did before. I've been going for a couple months so far with them. So you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back